What the Hell does *no flow* mean??

InMyKingdomCold

Serenity Painted death
Apr 20, 2002
London
www.geocities.com
Right, my friend hates Death Metal (fair enough), but the reason he gives is because it has *no flow*. I've been trying to work this out for a good few weeks now, and have gotten no where. Can someone please explain to me what he is on about? Oh and according to him Opeth are boring and also have no flow.

:mad: *GGRRRRRRRRRRRR* :mad:

i'll explain it right now:

your friend is an idiot, who has his head up his ass. he knows nothing about music. you should do the world a favor and cut off his testicles so he can't breed.

Well he likes Thrash mostly, Nu Metal, and Melodic Swedish stuff like In Flames and Arch Enemy. Also hes a bit of a Rap fan <sigh>.
So I basically played him Opeth, Nile, Mayhem, Emperor, ...multitudes more, and none of them have any flow, therefore he doesn't think its any good. I hate to critisize friends, but calling Opeth "Poopeth" is just drawing the line, ripping it up and stamping on it. Calling Gods like Opeth lame names like that deserves trouble!

Originally posted by InMyKingdomCold
Well he likes Thrash mostly, Nu Metal, and Melodic Swedish stuff like In Flames and Arch Enemy. Also hes a bit of a Rap fan <sigh>.
So I basically played him Opeth, Nile, Mayhem, Emperor, ...multitudes more, and none of them have any flow, therefore he doesn't think its any good. I hate to critisize friends, but calling Opeth "Poopeth" is just drawing the line, ripping it up and stamping on it. Calling Gods like Opeth lame names like that deserves trouble!

poopeth?! ok, don't cut his testicles off. stick them in a sausage grinder while they're still attached. then whack him in the head with a tenderizing mallet.

Ok, that sounds delightful <cringes>.

Heh, he likes *shitknot* too! Ah well, nevermind...but it really does start to piss you off everytime you hear a lame insult directed at Opeth.

I just don't get it really, the guitars are fantastic, vocals worshippable (actually scratch that, Opeth are worshippable full stop!) and it has so much depth. They obviously don't have any tallent!

A lot of death metal kind of jumps around without warning and changes key like it didn't exist, so I can see that. Opeth though transitions well, even on the older albums when it was usually just a short pause and then a new section, it fit with the last.

I advocate the meat grinder plan.

No flow is when a song has many stops in the middle to only change to another section. Listen to songs like Black Rose Immortal, and tell me those FLOW, the guy is right to an extent, and you guys are being dumb.

Originally posted by Morningrise
No flow is when a song has many stops in the middle to only change to another section. Listen to songs like Black Rose Immortal, and tell me those FLOW, the guy is right to an extent, and you guys are being dumb.

Yeah cheers, that makes me feel much better...I was only asking a question!! Hey, my friend couldn't even explain to me what he meant, the most precise he could get was "it just has no flow". Now if he cant explain further than that, how am I supposed to understand?

Yeah cheers, that makes me feel much better...I was only asking a question!! Hey, my friend couldn't even explain to me what he meant, the most precise he could get was "it just has no flow". Now if he cant explain further than that, how am I supposed to understand?
Yeah, No Problem. Unfortunately no one here could answer either, and all had pretty fucking stupid comments....

i agree that to the average listener, opeth's songs don't seem to have total "flow", when compared to a 3 minute slipknot pop song with the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus fail-safe structure,

ur mates prolly just not used to prog music at all. give him some Yes, Genesis, Floyd.. probably get the same dislike he shows towards death metal...

soilworks stuff and in flames' newer efforts come across as nothing but heavy pop music to me. call me crayzy, its boring.

Define Progressive for me... I have extensive knowledge of theory.
DOes it have to do with chord "progression" Or a non-repetive song structure? Or am I way off?

It's one of those terms that means something different depending on who you ask. Some people will say "progressive means not the usual verse/chorus song structure" and others with an even more limited view will say "why, that means they have a keyboardist and play in 9/8 a lot!" Basically a progressive band is taking whatever sort of music they play further. Usually it means a comfortability with longer songs and different meters, experimentation, songs that change a lot, sometimes unusual instruments, and lots of instrumental parts. Use of crazy music theory stuff.

Usually. And that's just for progressive rock/metal though. The term is applied to a bunch of other genres, and I have heard none.