What the Hell HAPPENED to Martin, Anyways???

Martin must be dying. This is the second mental problem that he has suffered within two months. I was confused as to see a recent message by Mikael stating that Martin was feeling much better and now he is having problems again. That sucks, he does not seem like the type of guy who would go crazy sometimes. I guess we all get that way sometimes.

This all needs time you know. I don´t think that there is something really serious. Panic attacks are very often associated with memories that are coming back again. Memories that were so traumatizing that they were locked away for a long time. Fear and panic are just symptoms when it all comes back.

You all know what Opeth is dealing with in their lyrics, don´t you?

Dealing with that kind of stuff needs much time, but at the end the person will even be much stronger than before. This kind of stuff is more or less epidemic ;) ... sad

Having experienced panic attacks myself (brought on to an overexposure to LSD and Cannabis in my teens) I know just how debilitating they can be. Coupled with the monotony of touring it's not an enviable situation to be in.

I can only hope that Martin's getting the right advise and medication to battle this (beta-blockers helped me with the panic attacks) and that he makes a swift recovery.

Lee

Really.....Opeth has had a loooooong year. They've toured a LOT. So, I figure he's just getting crushed a little under the pressue of that, honestly. Also, the attacks started right before the Jordan gig....and to be frank about it, I'd be a little nervous about going there myself. Point being: Long year...lotsa touring....pressures of new success....then all of sudden your headed to the Middle East....it may have just been too much. Being away from home all the time is hard, or so I gather.

Anyway, hang in there man!

most people don't understand how bad anxienty and panic attacks screw up a person.. i would say 99% of most sufferers would NOT be playing a concert if they were having anxienty attacks.. it is a bad condition..

Lee_B said:
Having experienced panic attacks myself (brought on to an overexposure to LSD and Cannabis in my teens) I know just how debilitating they can be. Coupled with the monotony of touring it's not an enviable situation to be in.

I can only hope that Martin's getting the right advise and medication to battle this (beta-blockers helped me with the panic attacks) and that he makes a swift recovery.

Lee
Lee, you are so right. It’s a horrible feeling and also a helpless feeling cause you are so out of control. I feel really bad for him, and I can relate all too well as I still have a lot of problems with my phobia (bridges). They bring on panic attacks on a regular basis (sometimes weeks in advance knowing I have to drive over one). I’m real glad you mention the beta-blocker helping you because I just recently got a prescription so hope it works for me too. Hopefully Martin will find a cure soon.

I’m sure Martin feels horrible, not only physically, but mentally that he is letting people down who want to see Opeth. But he’s gotta take care of himself first and there’s no other way around it. It can’t be forced to be over, unfortunately. I learned this without a doubt when I tried to ignore my problems and almost died in NY about 7 or 8 years ago while on a bridge and I started to black-out going 80 miles at the top of one. Not sure how I kept from passing out unconscious but I guess it wasn’t my time to die.

I don’t know what exactly is causing Martin the problems or if it’s a combination of things, including stress, but I’m sure it doesn’t help situation when things like: you’re on tour and suddenly your tourbus (with you inside!) is right in the middle of GUNFIRE as what happened in Norway. Maybe that’s added even more scars than anyone has acknowledged, on an already over-stressed situation. Plus the Jordan gig bordering on a war, and the terror status going up recently in the states etc, it’s surely a lot to take in on someone who’s obviously done too much touring the past year.

I know the guys have worked VERY hard on the setlist and done a lot of rehearsing for this tour. I heard from Mikael about a week before and he commented on how GOOD the set/rehearsal was. So I know they must really having a rough time here, and their own disappointment as they are surely aching to bust out that killer set for us and have us go nuts. But if it can’t be right now, it can’t be. As mentioned by others, the true fans will stick with them and just be happy to see whatever they work out, but most importantly we need Martin to get better. There is no better people in the world than these guys, and I know they wouldn’t want to disappoint people and it clearly shows here they are trying to provide all they can at the moment.

And now, since I’m rambling… I feel like sharing a little Martin memory, and since it also has to do with fears and trying to overcome them, here goes. True story.

The bridge I mentioned earlier, I have actually driven over since the incident. It was not by choice. It was a year or 2 ago, and in fact I was following someone in the van ahead and I didn’t know my way from where we were in New Jersey to L’Amores in NY. Half of Opeth were in the van ahead, and the other half were in my car. Yes, Martin and Martin were riding with me. Lopez had just gotten his copy of Katatonia’s Last Fair Deal at the in-store signing they just did, and he was very excited about giving his own personal cd a first listen and reading the lyrics along, etc. It was like a ritual of excitement. He took his hair out of a ponytail so he could properly listen as a true metalhead and I remember him saying he “would always remember this”. I think he meant (or maybe he specifically told me) he meant he’d remember where he was and what was happening on his first play of that cd.

I was becoming more and more worried about bridges cause I know there’s several in NY but I followed the van on and on. Then before long, the worst happens.. before my eyes is the THROGGS NECK BRIDGE. Again! I swore I would never drive over it again, and yet, I had to now. No choice. Half of Opeth were with me, what could I DO???? The van was ahead of us, no way to get the Martins up there with Mikael and Peter. Well I had to do it, drive over that goddamn fucker, so I started to prepare myself mentally. Of course I told them how terrified I was (which I’m sure couldn’t be fully comprehended cause no words can really convey true panic) but I tried to stay calm and I kept thinking “I’ve got half of Opeth with me”. Martin was talking to me the whole time (it helps) even tho I have no idea what they were saying (couldn’t hear Mendez so well he was in the backseat). At the same time Katatonia played in the background and all I could hear was Jonas’ voice singing on that song about being “so scared”. Very appropriate and I just sang along in my head and concentrated every note of the music. Anyway.. I did it. I was scared, but I was not to panic this time.. as Opeth was with me and I felt a comfort knowing that. They calmed me enough to stay calm (does that make sense?) Anyway, my heart was racing like a motherfucker and my hands/arms/body were shaking once we got over and I almost barfed, but I did it and I didn’t have a real bad episode this time…because of Opeth. I drove over that damn fucker and I felt really proud afterwards. Martin has later teased me about it saying that he looked over and my eyes were closed, ha ha… which obviously they weren’t but it makes me laugh thinking about it now. I do have to wonder what kind of crazy expression I musta had on my face. Anyway, that’s the end of my story.

I wish there could be something, or someone who could say or be the comforting words to help Martin thru his ‘time of need’. But in the end if he’s seeing a doctor I think it’s the best thing for him and hopefully he will recover as there is plenty more good times for Martin, and we’ll be waiting.

Reactions: Lina and Squeak
Panik Attacks are bad. I have Anxiety Dissorder with Panik/Anxiety Attacks... Depression, Depersonalisation/Derealisation (US version: Depersonalization/Derealization)... and those things are no fun... and you can't just get better.. it takes years...

Anyways... hope the man gets some help and gets back on track. Wish him all the best! If you feel like you're going 'crazy' - well, you're not ;) :Spin: just one of the damn sympotms of this damn illness...

Reactions: Squeak
I'm really glad you all enlighten us, because I'm sure the vast majority of people think depressions are walks in the park, great leissure in boring everyday life.

Well, actually one could get that impression the way some people are advertising theirs around here, absolutely ridiculous.

:::hugs ang::: Remember, there are no bridges in San Diego. :) Well, none that we have to cross over. I had no idea, but I fully understand you and the couple others that have these type of panic attacks. If there is anything I can do for you, let me know, I am here!!! Now let me put a couple of twists in here for those who do not understand what a nervous breakdown does to you (since this is what happened to Martin first).

I had two nervous breakdowns within a three day period in September. Mind you, I am an INCREDIBLY strong person who can be put through almost anything and still survive okay. Last year was the worst year in my entire life. At the beginning of September (when I still hadn't had an attack), my nerves were so shot that I couldn't even listen to ANY metal. Nothing. It was too loud or too bassy or too something and it would make my nerves worse. Now, for anyone that knows me, you would KNOW that that was insanely bad because music is my life, especially metal. I still had music, just no metal. Sept 14th, just a week before I had to move, I was really fragile, but Strapping Young Lad was playing here. These guys are also my friends and I wanted to see them, but I was afraid. I went anyway and figured it will either make me go insane or it'll do me a world of good. Thank goodness it was the latter. I had my first breakdown 5 days later. As I am a strong person, I could not figure out what was happening. You can be fine and then suddenly, I was trying to go to sleep and my whole body started shaking like I was freezing to death. You get hot and cold flashes and you feel like pulling your hair out. Ultimately, it feels like you're losing your mind and there is nothing you can do. I thrashed in bed over and over and over. It's almost like you're being possessed. It literally drives you crazy. For more than a month I could not eat anything but bread with butter and jam on it. I could only drink fruit punch or tea. And most of the time, I just puked that all up. I was prescribed Xanax, which helps, but doesn't cure it. You cannot just turn yourself on and off of whatever is causing it, like someone else said in here. You have no control over it until your crisis is over and something is able to be changed in your life. It took me a month and a half to get over most of it. I still get anxiety attacks on occasion because I still have things in my life that cause it. You can be fine, then not fine all of a sudden. You have very little warning. It just goes "hey, I think I'll bother you today". During this whole time, I couldn't remember SHIT (and I generally have a very very good memory). I could be talking to my best friend next to me and not remember his name. It's that bad.

They way people are saying Martin has mental problems makes it seem like he's crazy like a lunatic or someone that belongs in an insane asylum. That's not true. He is very, very lucky that he has the ability to see someone to help him through his crisis, I didn't get that chance. Hopefully it will do him a lot of good. When you are on tour constantly with very little sleep and on the road nearly 24/7 in a bus and nothing really stable in your life and push yourself beyond what you can handle, it can wear on a person's spirit. If anything, blame the record company for constantly pushing them to tour. If they'd just let up for a few months, Martin could get his life together. And not like the other guys don't need a break too.

I hope this gives you guys more insight on what a breakdown will do to one's self. It may help you understand a bit more and maybe be a little more sympathetic and understanding to the situation at hand.

I forgot to mention a couple of things. Due to those problems, that's why I was on any of the forums, including this one, for a few months. I also communicated very little with most of my friends and basically fell off the face of the earth. My work also suffered quite a bit. You have to shut out so much stuff.