What to happen when you die?

TrueBeliever said:
Basically, why would a chemical reaction perpetuate itself?
There is a thesis (in lack of a better word), which I have forgotten the name of, that basically says "If the world was conditioned in another way, we would not be here to observe it". Basically, in a universe where the human species didn't perpetuate itself we would not be here to ask ourselves "why would a chemical reaction perpetuate itself?".
That is not a complete answer, I agree.
Algae, bacteria and virus reproduce. Stars do to, new stars are born from the remains of dead ones. Do they have souls also?

I don't see why a perpetual process requires some sort of higher power.

i'm not trying to challenge science to say that gravity doesn't exist because i don't believe in it. i'm trying to say that the ends of both science and religion are the unknown. uncertain, untestable, but not without speculation. but with science and/or religion, one can balance, judge, and form their own beliefs. belief/theory/hypothesis/gut feeling, i don't know what else you can hold up in face of the unknown.

personally, i have no doubt that there is more to existance than what i am experiencing now from within my body. i know this is not the end. you can show me endless scientific or religious evidence that says otherwise, but it won't change my mind. it is my belief. furthermore, i don't think my beliefs or justifications can mean anything for anyone else, at least not anymore than scientific or religious accounts can. it is a personal understanding only.

another intersting question is how can you compare unshakable faith to cold hard scientific facts? again i think it's relative to the viewpoint. scientific data can be shared, with similar foundations and assumptions, you can accept someone else's experimental results. you can't really share a "religious-type" experience. on another level, maybe you can partake in ceremony or ritual, but it still requires belief. but bread and wine is still bread and wine to me. and this is where it gets shaky...science seems to be a straight black and white, yes or no, accept or reject evidence (except for the i just don't know why limit). but you have plenty of conveniently/socially religious people whose degrees of conviction are questionable.

a side note, while growing up like any kid, i'd always ask my parents to explain stuff. so they'd explain things in a way i could sort of understand or at least shut up. the habit continued and at some point i realized they were just bullshitting or talking in circles about the things they didn't know. i finally got an i don't know out of my dad, but when mom talked nonsense i said nevermind. i guess my conclusion is that "I don't know" is a perfectly justifiable answer. i think it's a better answer than accepting something you don't fully believe. i mean, if science took the final answers of Newton (or insert scientist), we wouldn't have Einstein, etc. "i don't know" goes hand in hand with doubt and experimentation.

that's the beauty of it, if we had the absolute answer, what would be the point of anything? it is only the individual that makes life worthwhile. you learn, you experiment, you make conclusions, grow, change, and create meaning. for yourself. because you're born alone, you live stuck inside of you, and you die alone. hm, this sounds pessimistic, so i need to mention that of course without others, you would not be able to learn or change. but i think my point is that you shouldn't just take what someone, or anyone says, as truth. seek truth for yourself.