What Wagner collection should I get...

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
Right so I've decided to delve into the classical music world... I heard part of "Ride of the Valkyries" and thought it sounded very cool... didn't sound too happy-fruity-sounding either (a good thing for me)... which is the best "album" (or opera or whatever) to start with, perhaps the best one for a metalhead who never listened to classical (up till now) to get into... a "heavier" more powerful one. The one with the least happy sounding parts, I like deppressing powerful music far more.

The opera singing kinda annoys me but hopefully I'll get used to it...

If the singing annoys you then you probably shouldn't buy a whole opera. Try to find a collection of different overtures, which is the muscial intro at the beginning of the opera.

Try this, its cheap, so you won't waste $ if you're not happy: Amazon link

There's some pretty crushing songs in there... for Classical of course.

Meh, Wagner's operas are a bit too overwrought and pretentious. When it comes to opera, I'd say go for some Gounod, Mozart,or Rossini but those might not be to your liking. For classical music in general (or serious music as I like to call it. I use the term "Classical" to refer to a specific period in music) definitely check out Richard Strauss' orchestral works, Penderecki, and Ligeti's "Clocks and Clouds" and "Requiem"(this one in particular is a very unsettling piece of music, you might appreciate it).

If anything, go for Wagner's instrumental pieces. Overblown they may be, but cool in an epic-film-score kind of way. The vocals kill a lot of it.