What was the last band you "got into"?

SilentRealm said:
Opeth for me too, at least the latest that I've REALLY gotten into, most stuff I hear is like, ehh.. it's rare I come across a band that floors me !:OMG: .. but they did.
You can thank me for that!:D

The latest genius i've gotten into is Allan Holdsworth, i can't get over how good this dude is! amazing, and a bunch of fusion bands like Vital Tech Tones, Gambale, Weather report before Holdsworth.
But for metal, i think it is meshuggah. I had a burnt cd of them a few months ago and thought they were good, but not good enough to get a cd of. but latley i got all of their albums and im just trying to work ou those fucking time sigs and stuff!!

i dled 'older than the ancients' on Alchemists site, thats a pretty good song i thought. i could get into that album if the other songs are similar. (though i dled 'abstract' from a previous album and didnt like that, so i need to hear more to be sure)

I just found a really great group called Encaustic. A few of their songs I can best describe as "acoustic cello-metal". Yeah. Check them out on cdbaby.com. They rock. (If you ignore the 2 songs sung by the guy. The female singer is awesome.)

I would have to say.............. Falconer. Unfortunately I didn't pay much attention to them when I heard about them before, until today where I went back to check em out again and learned Mathias left. Good thing the new vocalist seems to kick ass (only heard Trails of Flames so far). Sounds a little like Barlow too.

There's a hardcore after forever band??? :lol: I have been in love with after forever for a little over a year now... about a year and a half. Ahh... floor... another underrated metal goddess :D

Willith said:
Prog After Forever from Deustch Land? or Hardcore band from Iowa? Or Jap Hardcore?
THIS AFTER FOREVER!

after_forever.jpg
Line-up

Vocals: Floor Jansen
Guitars, vocals: Sander Gommans
Guitars: Bas Maas
Bass: Luuk van Gerven
Drums: Andre Borgman
Keyboards: Lando van Gils

Band info

Style: Symphonic Gothic
Similar bands: Within Temptation, Tristania, Nightwish
Official website: http://www.afterforever.com

Discography

2000 - Prison Of Desire
2000 - Follow In The Cry
2001 - Decipher
2002 - Emphasis
2003 - Monolith Of Doubt

Detailed discography »

Biography

AFTER FOREVER 'Decipher' biography

Make out meaning of, interpretation of cipher document are a few of the definitions you will find in the Oxford dictionary for the word ‘Decipher’ the title of the new album of the Dutch metal group AFTER FOREVER. The music may contain numerous hidden meanings and it will undoubtedly be necessary to listen intently a number of times to fathom the deeper meanings of the lyrics, there is no mystery whatsoever as for the immense popularity of the six band members. It is a proven fact that quality will always out, also in 2001.

‘Decipher’ is the second CD of the band, who practically from nowhere, burst upon the rock scene with their debut ‘Prison Of Desire’. The band made a profound impression with their epic combination of metal and influences from classical music, gothic and prog rock, and versatile singer Floor Jansen playing the part of leading lady.
AFTER FOREVER are the living proof that in metal no longer longhaired men with guitars, bass and drums as their only tools are calling the shots. Straying off the well-trodden paths is no longer a crime. AFTER FOREVER is one of those rare examples of bands that have managed to transpose the acquired musical freedom into devastating music.

AFTER FOREVER starts, as any other indiscriminate band, with covering their heroes. At first they call themselves Apocalypse, but that name is changed into the more appropriate AFTER FOREVER and own material takes over the place of covers. The horizon of the band is broadening all the time, especially once soprano Floor Jansen has made her entrance. In 1999 they produce a demo that causes something of a battle between recording companies. TRANSMISSION succeeds in signing up the still very young – the average age of the band members is 19 - band.

The expectations are high, but nonetheless everybody is surprised when AFTER FOREVER succeed in gaining a top position in the Dutch metal hierarchy with their debut album right from the start. The band performs a lot – both in clubs and at festivals – and is live just as convincing as on the album. Moreover Floor Jansen can be heard on the CD ‘Universal Migrator Part 1’ of the musical jack-of-all trades Arjen AYREON Lucassen.

In 2001 AFTER FOREVER are working on their important second album in the renowned RS29 studio in Waalwijk. As a pinnacle for these exhausting sessions the band flies to Mexico for a performance at a prestigious festival at the end of August. In Mexico the band sees itself confronted with a huge number of enthusiastic fans. It is the ideal start for a new phase in the existence of AFTER FOREVER.

Compared to their first CD AFTER FOREVER has hugely progressed. The classically trained Floor Jansen excels more than ever against a background of guitars, keyboard, drums, bass, violins and even a sitar. The music is full of tempo increases, unexpected side-roads and differences in dynamics. The musical palette contains more colours than ever before.

The band don’t content themselves with samples of digitally multiplied vocal parts, but uses strings of flesh and blood for the classical parts and engage a fully fledged choir to top things off. The result sounds more solid – more natural, more mature and more self-confident. ‘DECIPHER’ is an exciting adventure translated into music.

Added by Dream_Taster ( www.metalstorm.ee )