What would you like to see on the next AA album?

Phantomreaper

Dude with the sideburns
Sep 26, 2008
There was a thread awhile back about the unexplored regions of the viking soul that inspired this thread.

So here is the question, what topics would like to see them cover on the next album.

I would really like to hear more of the norse legends and stories like, when Oden drank the wisdom. Maybe that was a bad example, but you get the idea...

I would like to see more slower, longer songs with suspense.

Three of my favourite AA songs are 1000 Years Of Oppression, Arson and Where Death Seems To Dwell.

I love how they build up to an epic finish.

As far as content goes I'm quite happy with the mix they have so far. But yeah I prefer the Mythology based songs.

I'm on the opposite side of that fence, Xurek in that I prefer their faster stuff. My favourites from them include Valhall Awaits, Free Will Sacrifice, Masters of War, and Burning Creation. In terms of subject matter, I really like the approach they've taken overall with the mix of mythological, Viking warrior, and the negative impact of Christianity on the people of the north themes.

Being a fan of concept albums, I would love to hear an album from Amon Amarth based on Egil's Saga, my favourite of the Icelandic sagas. I can't think of another band that would have a hope of doing the tale justice.

There was a thread awhile back about the unexplored regions of the viking soul that inspired this thread.

So here is the question, what topics would like to see them cover on the next album.

I would really like to hear more of the norse legends and stories like, when Oden drank the wisdom. Maybe that was a bad example, but you get the idea...

I'm glad to have inspired such a brutal thread! :) I was about to start a thread on possible future themes but since I'm pretty fresh to the board I felt that I didn't want to brutally rape it in the first days with to many new threads.

I think it's good that they maintain a balance between mythology, history and individual destinies and it's also great when they deal with more timeless issues such as the approach towards death or the loss of a child. It's important of course that they stay manly and metal. To convey a spectra of honest and true emotions while doing that might be a bit like balancing on a knife's edge but it is on the other hand a true and great art well worth watching and they make it seem very easy and obviously most or practically all of their songs are about issues who are not even remotely emo. If there is any time a viking is allowed to get emotional, then it is when his only son passes away.

Before this album I had a song about the varangian guard high on my list since it's a pretty cool part of viking history which is not as known as for instance the raids or the invasions.

I will come with some suggestions in a later post. I hope I don't do the band a disservice though with such a list. One general point might be that if they want to be able to weave a narrative around some of the songs then they need more songs about the same story while on the other hand if the songs stand alone then it might be more interesting to have a greater variation of themes.

As i was reading up on it lately. id love if they did a concept all about Voluspa: The origin and end of the world. THAT my friends would be epic as hell.

And soon the world will cease to be i thought was kind of about that but id love for them to elaborate on the whole story cause it's really awesome. Amon could defenitely put their spin on it. Look it up on Wikipedia if you want to know more about Voluspa.

Personally that little hook in Free Will Sacrifice was amazing (It's the main riff) for me, really showed a different style of Amon Amarth I hadn't heard before. The son of Odin should be pleased :p

But all in all, more of this album. The style, and the purpose it was written for will survive the next one, if done in similar fashion. The God's will not let it fail!! :heh: