what year did metal die in the ass?

PyroVesten said:
1993:
Alchemist - Jar Of Kingdom
Anthrax - Soun Of White Noise
At The Gates - With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness
Bathory - Blood Fire Death
Blind Guardian - Tokyo Tales (yes, it's live..so I'll do an extra album)
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Cynic - Focus
Damn The Machine - Damn The Machine
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Death Angel - Frolic Through The Park
Isengard - Hostmorke
Metal Church - Hanging In The Balance
Motorhead - Bastards
Sigh - Infedel Art
Steve Vai - Sex & Religion (Not metal, but Devin Townsend on vocals has to count for something)
Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses
Venom - Skeletons In The Closet (best of)

There. Something for everyone. Melodic Death, Speed/Power, Technical Death, Prog Metal, Thrash, Black and so on..

Well their right Death Angel came out in '88. I also think Anthrax's Sound of white noise was the best release that year for metal. Unfortunatally in '93 most people were buying Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, & Alice in Chains cd's.(Alice in Chains being my fav from the grunge era) Hence the grunge era!
I guess you guys are right, metal never died, it just took a backseat to the ever changing music scene.

thraxx said:
Hey Anthrax Mosher why the Name change???????

no name change here. i am new to this or any board. just an old school anthrax fan. talking with u was like clapping with one hand! just kidding.

mm there is so many years lol. Mine the day Joey left Anthrax (man im glad he is back) Also newsted leaving metallica. thta guy is fuckin metal!!!!! if youve herad doomsday by flotsam and jetasm youll know what i mean!!!!!

i don't know what year it died in your ass but it died from the mainstream in '96 with the load album. metallica controls what hqppens with metal in the mainstream. i guarantee if metallica's next album is oldschool hard core thrash then thrash metal will be back. if metallica's next album is more unnotewirthy shit then thrash will continue to hang in the underground where it was born and probably should be till the day it dies. anthrax was on the path towards leading the thrash metal revolution but the new reunion tour will be a set back. Hopefully when bush returns in a year they will resume where they left off because there isn't a thrash metal band in the world outside of anthrax (with bush) or metallica that are capable of returning thrash to its former glory. say what you want about belladonna but to be honest he is one of the least talented falsetto's in all of thrash metal or hair metal. if i'm wrong then name someone else that isn't in a shit band that is better. i've spent several hours trying to think of someone worse i got nothing. this said i support the reunion so long as it is merely a short term thing. '81-91 is why anthrax was cool. anthrax is why '91-04 was cool.

The God of Hellfire said:
i don't know what year it died in your ass but it died from the mainstream in '96 with the load album. metallica controls what hqppens with metal in the mainstream. i guarantee if metallica's next album is oldschool hard core thrash then thrash metal will be back. if metallica's next album is more unnotewirthy shit then thrash will continue to hang in the underground where it was born and probably should be till the day it dies. anthrax was on the path towards leading the thrash metal revolution but the new reunion tour will be a set back. Hopefully when bush returns in a year they will resume where they left off because there isn't a thrash metal band in the world outside of anthrax (with bush) or metallica that are capable of returning thrash to its former glory. say what you want about belladonna but to be honest he is one of the least talented falsetto's in all of thrash metal or hair metal. if i'm wrong then name someone else that isn't in a shit band that is better. i've spent several hours trying to think of someone worse i got nothing. this said i support the reunion so long as it is merely a short term thing. '81-91 is why anthrax was cool. anthrax is why '91-04 was cool.

If Metallica controls what happens in metal, Then it died when the black album came out. For that was the begining of mainstream metallica. Their last decent album was ....Justice for all. Before thier ego's & the quest for more money took over. Someone also mentioned it died when Newstead left the band. If thats the case then it started going south just after Cliff Burton died.(R.I.P)

Merkaba said:
If Metallica controls what happens in metal, Then it died when the black album came out. For that was the begining of mainstream metallica. Their last decent album was ....Justice for all. Before thier ego's & the quest for more money took over. Someone also mentioned it died when Newstead left the band. If thats the case then it started going south just after Cliff Burton died.(R.I.P)

I disagree. Metallica had mainstream success with ... And Justice for All which I think totally sucked.

Newsted was 90% of the Metallica live show and they wasted his talent. Metallica get progressively worse after the first album.

spitzs lazy eye said:
my opinion 1995. thing just wernt the same anymore. wht do you say?

Id say early nineties when the Seattle scene took off. When all these 80's thrash bands started making albums with shorter songs because that was what was more acceptable at that time. But metal's never died in the ass, it'll always be :D

I think it was shortly after the Attack of the Killer B's tour and it just kind of went away here in the states by 94/95 it was put a fork in it time. Grunge(IMHO a form of metal) and other bands were popular but it wasn't headbanging or thrashing at all.

Thank God for WCFYA. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

DiscipleOfThePit said:
I disagree. Metallica had mainstream success with ... And Justice for All which I think totally sucked.

Newsted was 90% of the Metallica live show and they wasted his talent. Metallica get progressively worse after the first album.

Yes they did have mainstream success with Justice but they really went in head first to cater to the mainstream with the black album. Justice being Newsteads first real metallica album, had the same hooks in it musically as RTL & MOP. ( I know his first was really garage days re-revisited, but it was all cover's, I was only counting originals by metallica)

I however do agree that Newstead was 90%, if not more of the metallica live show. The black album killed them for me, I didn't like that album or anything they've done since! Thats why i said AJFA was their last DECENT album. Ride & Puppets are my fav from them! :headbang: