What's in the car player...

dano1427

Mar 17, 2003
Concord, Ca.
Well, I thought I'd start one of these threads, especially for you folks who have a nasty commute. I gotta go from Concord to S.F., and deal with that f'ed up Bay Bridge, so musical entertainment is a must.::

--Redemption: The Fullness Of Time...Good for an epic tune or two
--Phil Collins: Live...A nice change of pace...
--Queensryche:OM2...Still up in the air, may get replaced, soon
--Nightwish: Once...Wow...so far so good
--The Gathering: Mandylion re-issue...Excellent bonus stuff, and this material still holds up.
--Metal Church: Blessing In Disguise...A classic. Thier first release with Mike Howe. I've always been a HUGE M.C. fan, having seen all all versions live at one time or another. Funny (off-topic) story: When David Wayne (RIP) had his new band, Reverend, they played at the Stone in S.F. and I did the choruses for the song Killing Time...Such were the days...

--dan

I always hook up my old 20GB iPod to the car stereo... so listing all the stuff on there would fill a page or two.

In my playlist "cartracks" though is all the stuff I know the lyrics of by heart (as then I can sing along to it LOUD without bothering anyone, weehee), which is nearly all of Rush, Threshold, Porcupine Tree, Marillion, Eloy, Queen, Nightingale, Riverside and loads of "odd" tracks and albums. "Blueprint Of The World", being one of them, as it's the only Enchant album I actually know pretty much all the lyrics of......

On the overall, I love to listen to stuff in the car that matches my driving: FAST ! ;)

Just had disc One of Live at Last going recently - took that out and the last two I have been spinning couldn;t be MORE different:

Realized Fantasies by TNT :headbang:

and now RUBY VROOM by Soul Coughing :kickass:
(DAMN those guys were great - shame they broke up...)

dano1427 said:
--Nightwish: Once...Wow...so far so good

I am definitely not a huge Nightwish diehard fan - I like 'em and all but don't own anything of theirs....

But a buddy recently gave me a burn of ONCE and I love it!!

got a new car but without the stereo, because we didn't like what was offered at the car dealer. so, we don't have sound in the car at the moment. :cry:

but i have already made mp3-files of some great tunes for listening enjoyment when we do have an mp3-/stereo-player hooked up! :headbang:

journey - everything with steve perry except the "best of" albums
enchant - live at last
the tea party - seven circles
toto - falling in between
kamelot - the black halo
within temptation - mother earth (cd has copy protection, so i had to buy the album a second time as mp3 :bah: )

what was playing in the "old" car?

conception - in your multitude
pain of salvation - remedy lane, the perfect element
the gathering - mandylion (gotta get that re-issue!)
marilyn manson - antichrist superstar :zombie:
ark - burn the sun
kamelot - siege perilous
paradise lost - one second
dream theater - 6 degrees of inner turbulence
and a tape with george benson :p

well, recently I played in my iPodCar :)
OSI - Free
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
Toto - random songs
Ray Russell - Goodbye Svengali
Enchant - Break
Jetliner - Space Station
Queen - Old material (in order to set up a live cover band)
Blackfield - S/T

Likewise with the ipod;

Enchant - Tug Of War
LOADS of Spock's Beard
Toto - Falling In Between
Saga - Network (still a great album)
A.C.T - random stuff
Queen - A Night At The Opera - the 30th anniversary remastered. I was always kinda dismissive of stuff labelled with 'Remastered', but this little baby lives up to the label! There's a clarity and LOUDNESS :headbang: that just wasn't there on the normal 'transferred to cd' original :cool: :worship:

I've got an mp3 player, so I'm giving only a few examples (in alphabetical order):

A Tribute To Pink Floyd - The Moon Revisited
A.C.T. - Last Epic
Dream Theater - Awake
Enchant - all of them :loco:
Grant-Lee Phillips - Ladies' Love Oracle
Jadis - Photoplay
Jellyfish - Bellybutton & Spilt Milk
Jon Brion - meaningless
Kino - Picture
Marillion - Brave, Anoraknophobia, Marbles & Xmas CD 2005
Pink Floyd - Animals, The Wall, The Division Bell & Pulse
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia & Deadwing
Presto Ballet - Peace Among The Ruins
Threshold - Hypothetical & Subsurface
Vanden Plas - Far Off Grace
Xen - 84000 Dharma Doors

-----------------------------------

NP: A.C.T. - The Effect (Last Epic)

Sieges Even: The Art of Navigating by Stars
Riverside: Second Life Syndrome (both of these I bought specifically from the best of 2005 thread, btw, thanks, love them both!)
Flower Kings: Paradox Hotel
Blackmore's Night: Village Lanterne
Jadis: Fanatic (how's there new one, btw?)
Flaming Lips: War Mystics

Uhh, the mp3 feature is awesome when using the car. However, I'm not a great listener when I'm driving, I tend to get too deep into the music and that's not advisable when your main purpose is killing very few people.

Here's some of the most recent contents in my mp3 CDs in the car:

- Toto - "Falling In Between" (Awesome, uh? These guys always sound fresh)

- Xen - "84000 Dharma Doors" (Yep, I like Ted's vocals, and I like this new sound)

- Rick Price - Almost all discography (Yeah, awesome pop-rock from Australia, this guy has a hell of a voice, probably one of the most touching singers I've ever heard!! Pity it's so hard to purchase for his albums...)

- Megadeth .- "Countdown To Extinction" / "Youthanasia" (Hell yeah, I'm big fan, amazing how you can switch from Rick Price to Megadeth and enjoy it differently but equally)

- Tenacious D (I love Jack Black's vocals, no matter what some people say. And there's a bunch of hilarous yet cool songs in the album)

- Frameshift - "Unweaving The Rainbow" (Mare revealed this beautiful prog-rock masterpiece to me, and I've loved it from then on. La Brie at his top, it reminds me of his works with Leonardo)
¨
- Dark Tranquillity - "Projector" (The bits of melodic death metal that catch me, this swedish band rocks!)

Very different from one another, uh?

|ng.

Burke said:
spinning couldn;t be MORE different:

Realized Fantasies by TNT :headbang:

QUOTE]

WOW!!! Just talked about that album with my brother a few days ago. It was definately our Summer-Album for the year 1997.
That summer we spent tons of time drivin' round stupidely. :Smokin:
I loved that period in my life.
"Hard To Say Goodbye" with it's killer-hook in the beginning did it to us!

This is whats on my SD-Memory Card right now:

Amorphis - Eclipse
Amorphis - Am Universum
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon
Enchant - Wounded
The Flower Kings - Adam & Eve
Grip Inc. - Nemesis
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
King's X - Ogre Tones
Lacuna Coil - Unleashed Memories
Megadeth - Cryptic Writings
Motörhead - Snake Bite Love
Sieges Even - The Art Of Navigating By The Stars
Threshold - Extinct Instinct
Transatlantic - SMPTe
Yes - The Yes Album

and many more
What a strange mixture!

tool - 10000 days
the gathering - home
vandenplas - christ 0 (Tipp!)
pyramid and stars - The Tangent (live)
amplifier - amplifier (threepiece with walls of sound)
enchant - time lost (questions?)
osi - free (not even that good as the predecessor)
threshold - wireless (love this one!)
iommi & hughes - fused (rocks!)
supertramp - breakfast in america (still a classic)
mostly autumn - for all we shared

:headbang:

The Fullness of Time is a great CD. And Blessing in Disguise is probably my favorite MC CD of all time. Mike Howe... great pipes. Reminds me of Carl Albert. What ever HAPPENED to Mike Howe, anyHOWE?

I posted a long review of Mindcrime II a ways b ack (not here, but I could, I guess?) and the general consensus - it's their best CD since PL - stands true. Not even close to the quality of ANYTHING QR pre-Empire, but still, a turn in the right direction. The middle of the new CD is great. It's just bookended by weak tracks (though "I'm American" rocks).

Oops... I forgot. My current listening list includes both Rememption (TFOT) and Queensryche (O:MC 2), as well as Zero Hour (Metamorphosis and Fragile Mind), random Weird Al, the new Lacuna Coil and Prince (Musicology).

"Fullness of time" is a good work indeed.

But...in my opinion "O. M. 2" is nearly a complete disaster, sorry. ;)

I was looking forward to listening this stuff for a long time as I'm a longtime fan of the Seattle guys.
I wouldn't have had a problem with this obvious try to get back in business again if the songs were good. But imho there is not one really good tune on the disc.
So different feelings about songs can be....

Last I heard, Mike Howe is running a business in So-Cal. I can't remember what it is, though. I want to say it's a catering or chef type thing, but I could be wrong...

OM:2, also for me, was a let down. Not because it couldn't live up to the hype. It's just not that good...Oh well...

--dan