What's in the car player...

Well, I'll have to disagree, concerning O:MC II, that is.

While, unquestionably, the band will (probably) never live up to the expectations of the past or reach the creative musical mastery level of ANYTHING pre-Empire (they could do no wrong up to and including, O:MC) the new disk is, by far, better than anything since Promised Land. The entire middle section of the CD (say, songs 8 through 12) are the best they've written SINCE TPL. It may take a few listens, but it's a definite improvement over anything they've released in the last 10 years.

I'd say you cats should spin it a few times, it's not an immediate listen, I would postulate, but it's certainly worth your time.

Atleast thats my opinion.

Lately I've been rotating these......

James Labrie - Elements of Persuasion
Xen - 84,000 Dharma Doors
Neal Morse - Testimony
Freak Kitchen - Spanking Hour

Virtual Scott said:
Well, I'll have to disagree, concerning O:MC II, that is.

While, unquestionably, the band will (probably) never live up to the expectations of the past or reach the creative musical mastery level of ANYTHING pre-Empire (they could do no wrong up to and including, O:MC) the new disk is, by far, better than anything since Promised Land. The entire middle section of the CD (say, songs 8 through 12) are the best they've written SINCE TPL. It may take a few listens, but it's a definite improvement over anything they've released in the last 10 years.

I'd say you cats should spin it a few times, it's not an immediate listen, I would postulate, but it's certainly worth your time.

Atleast thats my opinion.

Yeah it was spinning quite al long time...but there was nothing coming arround... ;)

Also dissapointing is the sound ...

the production quality ... miles away from modern standards AND miles away from the sound of "O.M." or "empire" or "promised land".

concerning the style I must say that they obviously try to reanimate the vibes from 1988 ... but in my opinion this was a shot in the back.
it's 18 years later .. even as a "commercial only" attempt this had to fail:

or do you think the most of the now 35 to 40 aged people (like me... ;) ) still are waiting to hear the same thing again in a worse production?

other question: do you know any case where something like that did was musically successfull?

there is a reason why they changed their style and why they didn't write that good songs anymore (for the ones who liked the old stuff) .
you can't turn back the wheel and you can't say. "okay, let's do some classics again."
art is emotion and you can't command the emotion to come back.

excuse my poor english, I hope you are understanding what I'm trying to tell. :)

the production quality ... miles away from modern standards AND miles away from the sound of "O.M." or "empire2 ore "promised land".

concerning the style I must say that they obviously try to reanimate the vibes from 1988 ... but in my opinion this was a shot in the back.
it's 18 years later .. even as a "commercial only" attempt this had to fail:

or do you think the most of the now 35 to 40 aged people (like me... ;) ) still are waiting to hear the same thing again in a worse production?

other question: do you know any case where something like that did was musically successfull?

there is a reason why they changed their style and why they didn't write that good songs anymore (for the ones who liked the old stuff) .
you can't turn back the wheel and you can't say. "okay, let's do some classics again."
art is emotion and you can't command the emotion to come back.

excuse my poor english, I hope you are understanding what I'm trying to tell. :)

Lots of loud metal and fusion these days for me. I am back on a shred kick, Mostly old Al Demeola, Jeff Beck and Weather Report with the amazing Jaco.

I am really looking forward to Derricks new one it looks to be mind blowing. I play the hell out of Black Utopia.

From Tool to Toto so far 2006 is pretty happening.

hey i found an old thread :)

IQ - the seventh house
Arena - Songs from the lions cage
Marillion - Made Again Live
Enchant - Tug of War
Threshold - Subsurface :kickass:
Threshold - Hypothetical
Threshold - Clone

... plus a lot of Mix-CDs :headbang: