What's kicking your ass these days?

I'm now officially psyched to hear the new Persuader (which I believe is on my iPod). After hearing "Evolution Purgatory" a few times last year, I considered buying it, but passed. I recall thinking, "Close, but no cigar". However, I was impressed enough to make it a point to check out the new one. So, thinking I was checking out the new one ("When Eden Burns"), I've mistakenly been listening to "Evolution Purgatory" for the last two days... and loving it. So, needless to say, it's going on my "Buy" list, and I will check out "When Eden Burns" shortly.

Zod

Vanden Plas - "Christ0." I can't put into words how much this release STILL is kicking my ass.

Jorn - "The Duke" Took a while to "get" but my interest stayed alive due to the fact I am a big Jorn Viggo Lofstad fan. Cool CD.

Red Circuit - "Trance State" I just told someone it wasn't one of my faves, but I think I am starting to get it. Not the best from Chity, but interesting stuff.

Bryant

Dark Empire - Distant Tides
Communic - Waves of Visual Decay
Venturia - The New Kingdom
Satyricon - Now, Diabolical
Sepultura - Dante XXI

So far, 2006 has been dull for me as well! I'm enjoying the following from 2005/2006.

Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocolypse
Hibria - Defying The Rules (major kick ass band that needs to be at ProgPower)
Stratovarius - s/t (I know alot of you don't like this, but I love it)

For the most part though, I've been listening to stuff that I've had for awhile. OMII is growing on me, but it's far from kicking my ass though! :)

My top 3:
Elvenking - The Winter's Wake
Venturia
Dark Empire

===

Others worth listening to

= Venom - Metal Black
= Amorphis - Eclipse
= Adagio - Double Vision (I haven't listened to the full album, but the songs I've listened to are awesome).

Pop Metal not worth listening to:
the new... Def Leppard album. Feels like they forgot about their old stuff and Discordia, and are riding the train to pure pop-alt-rock.

I've only heard a couple of 2006 releases... I don't know whether it's been a disappointing year, or if I've just lost interest, but the only disc I've heard from this year that really stands out for me is Pharaoh - The Longest Night. I want to hear the new Wolverine, Astral Doors, Adagio, and Rage (the latter is sitting on my desk, unopened).

General Zod said:
Satyricon - Now, Diabolical
Harvester said:
Persuader- When Eden Burns
Imagikafan said:
Imagika - My Bloodied Wings

Wow... I must really be out of the loop, because I didn't know these bands released anything new this year. How could I not hear about a new Persuader disc????

Hmm

1.Devy-Synchestra
2.Beyond Twilight-For Love and the art of the Making
3.Toto-Falling in Between

these bands have also put out good/decent product

Sphere of Souls, Andromeda, Rage, Scar Symmetry, Raunchy, Pyramaze, Jorn, Tool, Non-Human Level (06?)...probably a few others i have forgotten.

The Whitesnake dvd kicks ass too.

Pop Metal not worth listening to:
the new... Def Leppard album. Feels like they forgot about their old stuff...and are riding the train to pure pop-alt-rock.

...um...its a covers album of songs from the 70's......and DL haven't done anything good in over 20 years so i'm not suprised that it sucks.

booB said:
Wow... I must really be out of the loop, because I didn't know these bands released anything new this year. How could I not hear about a new Persuader disc????
The new Satyricon is phenomenal. I'd recommend it to any Power Metal who feels like dipping their toes into darker waters. It's more Power Metal than Black, and the hooks are huge. The guitars and drums are up front in the mix, and catchy as hell. Their definitely going for a larger audience and likely to succeed.

Here's a link to the first video, "King", off the new disc, "Now, Diabolical":

http://media.roadrunnerworld.com/Satyricon/king_hi.wmv

Zod

Taliwakker said:
The Whitesnake dvd kicks ass too.

Most definitely! One of the best DVDs I've seen lately, ranks right up there
with Rush R30 and Iron Maiden's EARLY DAYS DVD, excellent...

Neal

Taliwakker said:
...um...its a covers album of songs from the 70's......and DL haven't done anything good in over 20 years so i'm not suprised that it sucks.

It also doesn't help that Vivian Campbell is making comments like this, from Entertainment Weekly:

It's so weird, man. I meet people and they're all like, 'Dude, Holy Diver, metal! And I hate metal music. It's true that in the 80s I wanted to play like [metal fret-meisters] Yngwie Malmsteen and Paul Gilbert and all those cats. But that stuff does not endure. It's really impressive for the first 20 seconds. But I can still go back and listen to [David Bowie's late guitarist] Mick Ronson and be totally blown away every time."

Does not endure? My ass! I think Viv's been taking lessons from Geoff Tate :rolleyes:

General Zod said:
I'm now officially psyched to hear the new Persuader (which I believe is on my iPod). After hearing "Evolution Purgatory" a few times last year, I considered buying it, but passed. I recall thinking, "Close, but no cigar". However, I was impressed enough to make it a point to check out the new one. So, thinking I was checking out the new one ("When Eden Burns"), I've mistakenly been listening to "Evolution Purgatory" for the last two days... and loving it. So, needless to say, it's going on my "Buy" list, and I will check out "When Eden Burns" shortly.

Zod

The new Persuader is my album of the year so far, if that matters...

Taliwakker said:

My point still stands. But yes, if they hate metal... then okay...

I guess what they really want to listen to is hot cross buns. I mean. That has seriously stood the test of time. Or perhaps 3-blind mice. Yes DL's next album should just cover nursery rhymes. What has greater hooks, I ask thee?