What's shredding

Dunno how much I can respect Yngwie as a great guitar player anymore since I can play half of his stuff. It's all about perspective and opinion. Yngwie to me was the God of guitar playing when I first started, and now it's almost like 'yeah... meh'.

Trying to gauge ability on a linear scale... it doesn't work. Who's to truly say what any guitarist is capable of. If anything I'd be putting my money on the guys who stretch the boundaries of technique with the 2 neck guitar like Adam Fulara, or whichever guys just reinvent the way the instrument is meant to be played.

Hey Ptah... Ive listened to all the guitarists you mentioned a million times...

Have you heard John 5's solo work??? I love Yngwie, but other than in technicality, Yngwie doesnt deserve to be on any top guitarist list...do you know what phrasing is??? If you do... you would know that John 5's guitar lines are far more inventive and creative than someone like Yngwie...I lack in knowledge of guitar players??? I love how you judge from one fucking line...name the guitarist... and I have one of their albums at least...

and besides... I didnt say he is the all time greatest guitarist... there are a lot of guitarists who are arguably, the greatest ever...

hell, you could even put in an arguemnt for Yngwie...

EDIT: Hey moonlapse, I tend to gauge guitarists on the creativity of their phrasing. Chops arent important, but the guitarist must push the boundaries of music in their own distinct way - and chops defenitly help with that endeavour... someone like Yngwie or Gary Moore wouldnt be on my top guitarist lists, because there are a million guys who sound just like them... give me Steve Vai, Frank Zappa and good ol' Jerry Garcia...the people who made the instrument their own while giving the world something new are the people who deserve most props in my books...

Listening to shred music is cool every once in a while, but it's pretty hard to get really into. If i watch a video of someone shred, i'll be like "damn, thats impressive" but i dont actually want to put in the person's cd and listen to it. I think i've listened to yngwie maybe 6 times in my life and thats enough. I never really want to listen to him, but if i do I'll think its pretty cool to hear at the time. And moonlapse, if you can play half of his shit thats really good man! I wish i had the ability to play some of that stuff. Not because i want to do sweeps and arpeggiated runs in my solos or anything, i just figure having those kinds of skills make everything on a whole much easier.

For the person that said opeth dont shred, i guess they dont necessarily make the guitar their bitch, but mike and peter occasionally do some shredding techniques.

I love how i have to scroll past like 9 arguments on every page in this forum just to find legit posts and points being made..

Sorry bout that dude. If you find any posts in particular you see as hindering or offensive, just hit the 'report' button. That sends a message out to all 3 of us and someone can deal with it, whatever time of day it is.

About the playing... I'm still getting adjusted to playing that fast. I've done fast stuff in the past before, but never really with the frequency and consistency that Yngwie plays at. First thing I had to build up was stamina in my hands... because they'd quite literally die on me after 30 mins of playing.

I totally agree. It's good to have that kind of ability, even if you're not going to use it in your own music. It's just nice to know that you'll be able to play pretty much anything you throw at yourself.

i didn't know John 5 could rip...

Yngwie bores me to death.

some examples of fast playing that does not suck (aka mindless shredded wheat):
Al DiMeola
Jasun Tipton

BurningSky said:
For the person that said opeth dont shred, i guess they dont necessarily make the guitar their bitch, but mike and peter occasionally do some shredding techniques..

You're right! But the essence of what I ment was that 'peth doesn't do it as their image or like it's their style to do it. (I was generalizing of course.)

No, it's their occasional shredding and fast expressive and meaningful riffs that makes all the difference!

Opeth always put the music first... and style second.
And that's what makes them unique and one of the best bands in the world!

Speaking of Opeth, you can hear some Yngwie influence in Mike's playing, despite how much all the fans might want to deny it. In the way Mike phrases some of his licks, in particular ones with lots of vibrato and bending stunts basically just screams 'Malmsteen'. As far as I'm aware, Mike's admitted in a few interviews of listening to his music somewhat. He even got the volume swells idea on some of the Morningrise tracks from a Yngwie live video he saw.

I think it's good when you can take the best parts of various people's techniques like that and apply them to your own style. In my opinion it's what makes Mike such a great guitarist and such an honor for me to rip off his style as much as I can :)

Pantera - The Art Of Shredding

Unity is a rare thing
Blind eyes of society bring
The category of minority
Now what are we supposed to be?
Born free to be
Powerless to change the world
With our lives in the hands of madmen

Now in times when society needs us
This is where the sin begins
We're aware they're going to free us
Rage from our hearts within
Born of this world
Which is a living hell
But we'll be closer to heaven

So now, this is the art
To shred... its only emotion

Actually I thought I knew what shredding was, just running your fingers up and down the guitar (hence wankery). This post was to show off to the n00bs my sense of humor :D

shredding/technical wankery = dragonforce

thats not to say I don't listen to them sometimes, I can enjoy them due to the fact that even they themselves dont take themselves seriously

LadyValerie said:
I'll go download one of his songs, anything inparticular that you would recomend?

I love John 5s stuff, not only does he shred but he makes real catchy songs which are fun to listen too. Some may underestimate him, but I think he is extremely innovative.

Some songs to check out: "Needles CA" , "Vertigo" (better than U2s vertigo :p ) , Behind the nut love (he plays almost the whole song by bending behind the nut) , and my favourite "2 die 4" (a slower more subdued song)

Kenneth R. said:
i didn't know John 5 could rip...

yeah, alot of people look at who hes played for and just toss him aside.

another great song to check out is blues balls. Perineum (the song with Steve Vai) is good too....but its not really one of my favourites on teh new album (i dont have vertigo :()

hes definitely got originality....whereas alot of shredders tend to sound a bit stale after a few listens.

'2 die 4' is an great song as well IMO.

paradoxile said:
Speaking of Malmsteen...
What kind of a name is Yngwie?o_O

His real (swedish) name is "Yngve" but he wanted to be "cool" or something and changed it...

And so every swede laughs at him because it looks and sounds so stupid (if your a swede and KNOW how it's really spelled)!

BTW his family name is really "Malmsten" ... !