What's shredding

Train of Thought = "Hey Metallica, look, we can copy you and show you how much you sucked with St. Anger." 2 songs were great, the rest were passable noise.

Shredding is "to play so fast it is as if you are shredding up the fretboard and strings". Shred is not technical fast crap - almost all death metal songs are shred because they contain incredibly fast riffs. Arpeggios aren't shred!

Endless Sacrifice + Vacant + bunch of things that took up space.
Same story with Octavarium:
Octavarium + I Walk Beside You + bunch of things that took up space.
And 6Doit:
1st Disc: Good.
2nd Disc: Goodnight Kiss to the end + bunch of wankery.

Thats my opinion. Let's hope they don't call their 9th album Nonahedron!

I thought Endless Sacrifice was a good song, and Vacant was a good follow-up to Stream Of Consciousness.

Octavarium had 2 or 3 good songs IMO and that's it.

(Panic Attack, Sacrificed Sons, and Octavarium.)

And to be honest, I have to agree about the 2nd disc on SDOIT, the song really doesn't go anywhere. It would have been better if those cheesy songs weren't on it. (Goodnight Kiss)

Nonahedron is a silly name. I don't think they are THAT ignorant at this point.

- Am I agreeing or disagreeing?

I wonder if you've heard the album :lol:

Vacant is before Stream of Consciousness. SOC steals Vacant's melody and turns it into a lengthy prog wankfest.

Don't tell me you liked Panic Attack :erk: and Sacrificed Sons... I think I've heard far too much political BS about 9/11 before that needless song was written.

Goodnight Kiss axed? Are you nuts? The solo at the end is probably Petrucci's best work on that album. It is tasteful playing. Unlike his more recent garbage.

Vacant was a good follow-up...

Shit. So I got my wording wrong. Whatever.

Vacant is a good introduction to Stream Of Consciousness. (And lengthy prog wankfests are awesome.)

Oh, and I like those two songs off of Octavarium because of the music, I didn't care about the lyrics.

Goodnight Kiss is cheesy, I think we could live without it, solo or not. :erk:

- Okay, enough of this silliness; I'm posting too much!

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I thought the last ONE Dream Theater album was below their level. I thought Six Degrees and Train Of Thought were incredible.

- Heh here I go disagreeing again

and yet I agree again with tubbs with the exception of the second cd of "six degrees"...it's just alot of wank.

Maybe our difference in opinion has to do with musical phases. I know there was a point when I was absolutely obsessed with shred and finding who could play the fastest, and a phase when I wanted to find the heaviest tone ever. Now i'm really into soundscapes and grooves.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I only drink diet... :erk:

- :erk:

for your info...diet is a big fraud
they use certain substances that replace sugar...those substances in high dosage have killed mice and in general all diet drinks and suger substances like "sweet n low" and other crap of its kind damage your eyes' sight over time.
too many diet moxies and you'll be blind as a bat before you know it...and it's not good for your kidnies either.
so how do you want to die...fat and blind or just fat?

edit: trust me, it's healthier to drink regular moxie insted of diet

paradoxile said:
edit: trust me, it's healthier to drink regular moxie insted of diet
I think I would know best about this since I've been a diabetic for the past 12 years and have drank nothing but diet drinks! I am completely aware of the fact that sugar replacers like Sweet & Low and Nutrasweet are also unhealthy, but they are by no means worse than sugar if you are a diabetic. I'd rather be blind than mentally retarded or paralyzed due to falling in a coma from a high blood sugar. :erk: Diet's the way to go in my situation. (Since I drink an unhealthy amount [6 to 10] sodas a day.)

And uhh... shredding is cool.

- okay then

Why would anyone compare train of thought to metallica....

I have no idea what combination of crack and motor oil would make someone hear a similarity between these bands nowadays...

Endless Sacrifice is the best song on Train of Thought
Sacrificed Sons is the best song on Octovarium
I walk Beside You is the worst song ever...

thats what i think anyway...