What's shredding

oh, and as to john 5....looking through his gear gallery...he has 76 guitars/basses/mandolins/sitars.

and a sweeeeeet electronics setup...

There can be a difference between shredding and instrument-wanking. Shredding can be very good indeed. People like John Petrucci have learned to shred creatively. People like Yngwie Malmsteen have learnt to create 50 songs each with a million notes which all sound exactly the same. There lies the difference.

If you want to listen to some really creative new shredding, buy 'Empires of the Worlds' by Biomechanical now!!

Also, Opeth do shred! What was that solo on Grand Conjuration if not a distinct hint of shred...

I belive that on A fair judgement there is also shredding in that middle solo, and aslo white cluster solo!

RiffBoy said:
His real (swedish) name is "Yngve" but he wanted to be "cool" or something and changed it...

And so every swede laughs at him because it looks and sounds so stupid (if your a swede and KNOW how it's really spelled)!

BTW his family name is really "Malmsten" ... !

some of my friends call him Yevgeny Malmstein...as if he's a Russian Jew.:Spin:

profskett said:
There can be a difference between shredding and instrument-wanking. Shredding can be very good indeed. People like John Petrucci have learned to shred creatively. People like Yngwie Malmsteen have learnt to create 50 songs each with a million notes which all sound exactly the same. There lies the difference.

If you want to listen to some really creative new shredding, buy 'Empires of the Worlds' by Biomechanical now!!

Also, Opeth do shred! What was that solo on Grand Conjuration if not a distinct hint of shred...

HAHAHA John Petrucci shredding creatively? are you kidding?

Petruccis stuff with DT is mostly wankery, but his solo work is very nice. I saw the G3 dvd with him on it, and it changed my mind about his playing (I was a naysayer). He used some good melodies, scales, blah blah whatever. It was good, ok. Shut up.

profskett said:

I wouldn't really say that. For me it's too slow to be considered shred. Mike is a very tasteful guy and that solo just reflects his great note choice and rhythmic pacing.

I know which part you're talking about though.. the Yngwie-ish 'keep the one note, but go down with the subsequent notes' part that sounds very neo-classical. I'm willing to bet Mike nicked that one off him, but the way Mike implements it into his playing is just infinitely more tasteful.