Whats the best guitar eq?

Curse9

Jun 10, 2008
Germany
hello guys,

there are millions of cool eq plugins outhere, such as waves, stillwell and so on. which eq do you like best when equing guitars. which on works fine for you?

my favourite is waves req at the moment.

definitely the EQ on the amp combined with mic-placement.

I agree... however, I've never found a guitar track that didn't massively benefit from the UAD-1 Pultec plugin. It's not your surgical EQ for fine tuning your sound (Sony/Oxford, Massenburg, or even the stock Cubase EQ are good for that), it is, in fact, for bringing the fucking rock!

pultec-large.jpg

:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

I tend to do all my eq with the reaper stock eq- i used to do alot of drastic stuff to my guitars but now that i'm getting better i'm basically just high and low passing then adding maybe 1-2 small boosts to make it more edgey or thick. I've downloaded a few other eq's but when I go to a project I seem to always end up back with the stock, thats free ware though- i've not bought any eq's yet

I can recommend Tritone ClassicTone for agressive guitars! (I tend to set up it usually like reverse smile curve) Also sometimes Tritone ValveTone is very nice on guitars! (but it is so special case that maybe it cannot be called EQ, it is more like some kind of "warmer" IMHO...)

I like free vst called Electri-Q. I find it very easy and accurate to dial for little boosts and cuts guitar tracks need. It has 2 modes, analog and digital, analog mode colours the tone in a nice way giving smoother highs, really good for hi-gain guitars

I can recommend Tritone ClassicTone for agressive guitars! (I tend to set up it usually like reverse smile curve) Also sometimes Tritone ValveTone is very nice on guitars! (but it is so special case that maybe it cannot be called EQ, it is more like some kind of "warmer" IMHO...)

yea, i've gotten some pretty decent results from the tritone plugins... the AngelTone can work out pretty nicely for guitars as well

Don't rely on post EQ. Try your best to get the sound right as you record, = EQ on the amp and mic placement before you record.

Since I'm reamping guitars now, if there is something I don't like about the stock amp tone, I'm throwing an MXR 10-band EQ in the loop to taylor the tone closer to what I want. I like the Waves Q10 for the more surgical cuts. But usually it's just hi & lo pass, and maybe just some narrow cuts on the fizzy and nasty frequencies.