What's the best live set you've seen all year?

Monday in Cleveland I will see Fates Warning again! This will be the fifth time, the best being their headlining set at ProgPower.
Lets see...Perfect Symmetry tour in Cleveland with Powermad opening; Inside Out tour in Pittsburgh, Savatage tour, then ProgPower and Monday. They were all great, but they were perfect in Atlanta and I hear nothing but great things about the current tour...CANT WAIT!

Steve Vai came close tonight, but it's still Myrath. For a guy who "just plays guitar" he puts on a serious freakin show. He sure doesn't seem as old as he is.

I've seen Kvelertak twice now and I gotta say: for a band whose songs are not sung in English...they are fun as hell to watch and party with even if I don't know how to sing along!

Now that there are no more concerts on my radar for this year, I can say officially that my favorite live set of the year was Dagoba. Here are my runners up, in order:

Amaranthe (might've been #1 if they played Enter the Maze)
Soilwork (might've been #1 if they played more new songs)
3 Inches of Blood
Fear Factory
Jolly (not that they did a bad job, but they only played like 5 songs)

I didn't really have a definitive answer for this until last night. The best bill I've seen this year was last night's Lamb of God / Killswitch Engage show. Although Testament was on the bill, they're just not on the same level as a live band. I've seen them three times in the last 18 months. They always sound muddled. Despite the fact that the bands that precede and follow them always sound excellent, Testament always sounds like noise. But I digress... both LoG and KSE killed it last night; tons of energy, tight as fuck, crowd in the palm of their hand.

I can definitely attest to Howard era KSE as being an amazing live band. I saw them twice and both times they completely killed it.

Living in Austin, we don't get a ton opportunities for good prog or prog metal, but mostly for scream metal. Outside of Progpower, I would say Kingcrow, Avenged Sevenfold, and Steve Vai.

Your description of that show leaves off Metsatoll. Metsatoll is the best band on that bill by far. I'm really bummed that I can't see that show next week.

You, sir, are correct. Metsatoll stole the show. Finntroll was just okay, after seeing Metsatoll tear it up first. Folk metal should always have bagpipe solos. :)

You, sir, are correct. Metsatoll stole the show. Finntroll was just okay, after seeing Metsatoll tear it up first. Folk metal should always have bagpipe solos. :)

Saw this show last night in San Antonio. About 75 in attendance, and yes, though Finntroll was excellent, Metsatoll blew me away. Likely my best performance of the year since I didn't get to see Myrath.