what's the contingency plan then

I say we somehow create our own little forum from an archive on some other server. I nominate Erik to do all the work. Since he’s so fun-loving and laid back these days, he’s bound to oblige.
i can make it happen. theoretically. but please note that i also said i have no time for pretty much anything these days

Reactions: Krilons Resa
I'm pretty sure if someone wants your data specifically - forum isn't any safer than a messenger, plus your posts are open to random people, posts are visible in basic google search.
it's not that, it's that if we move someplace else that's run by a big faceless corporation instead of just Deron, then the next time we want to archive our data, it's going to be probably a lot harder. but you adress this below so i guess some places are OK as far as that stuff goes

Two things about WhatsApp and Telegram:
1. The pace of group conversations there is different than forum, you don't deliver your posts like philosophical pieces that define you from each flattering side possible anymore like here
hm yes i do do that, all my posts are very carefully thought out and made to cast me in the best possible light

but yes, it is true, i think forums as medium is kind of unique. i don't think a group chat thing would be a proper replacement.

someone mentioned reddit. reddit fucking sucks for this kind of thing. for one, it's made for forums that are open to the general public for drive-by casual posting very much unlike this forum where we let in one new guy every five years. it is for semi-anonymous posting and forming communities around a *topic*, not around the *people*. no one on reddit is like "holy shit its weedblazer69420, i havent seen you in years? where u been dude?!" also not only are threads unbumpable, but it has tree-style comments instead of this flat view, and you can't post pictures or other media in replies, etc, etc

...we're just a 1000x smarter GMD right?

Iol @ this hot take. It’s true but I like to think that we have formed some incredible, intertwined relationships over the years via this forum. It’s fucking weird and I have a hard time wrapping my head around it but a lot of the RC e-relationships/bonds are much stronger than IRL petty, bullshit relationships. Where it lacks in tactility, it makes up for in substance. Or maybe I’m talking outta my arse again and we all merely share an intense passion for great music.

if we were to migrate to hosting this ourselves then i would want to pay upfront for 3 years or so (it's easier and cheaper that way), and we're looking at like 100-150 bux (depending on how much the domain name costs) using dreamhost's cheapest plan which is $2.59 a month

i mean that should be doable right

10 people throw in 10-15 bux and we're set for three years

i wanna make clear though that this is still highly hypothetical and quite a ways from being reality

for one, we don't even know if UM would be willing to dump the database for us

sign me up but I want right of scrutiny over their emoticon catalogue
how's this:

everyone who chips in money for the hosting gets to pick three custom emoticons

Reactions: Krilons Resa
I'll contribute.

Don't forget to migrate this friend: :kickass:

I wonder what the status of UM really is and how much it costs to operate. Maybe we should all chip in a few bucks to UM so we don't get cancelled in the mean time.

Whoa...I just checked the activity log for the entire forum. I had no idea it was that bleak. :(
i'd never thought to check but yeah, hoo boy. about 30-35 posts forumwide each day. that's grim.

i guess rc is unlisted because it doesn't show up in the global stats but pretty much the only forum that has any real activity apart from RC is GMD, which i think is a similarly insular social group

my favorite is dark tranquillity where i used to hang around twenty years ago, before jayk recruited me for royal carnage... http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/forums/dark-tranquillity/ -- i think there's less than 10 posts this entire year

Swizzlenuts has brought up Discord which has been brought in this thread. What’s up with that medium? I know fuckall about it.

It's pretty much a chat room with VOIP. The voip is completely separate, though. . You can also have separate channels to focus topics.

Every time I come back to this forum it takes 2-3 days before someone says something interesting. Then i forget to come back