what's the contingency plan then

yeah, that was weird

let's be honest, no one's going to take any action here before it's too late. all these posts will be lost in time, like tears in rain. time to die.

Reactions: NAD
Once I got used to the reddit style and the ability to hide/close nests, the discussion is focused much more than here where it's all over the place.

But whatever, I doubt i'm going to convince you old fucks.

Reddit is akin to fucking a 2021 Cosmopolitan model bruh, shit's like arguing with a taser. Stop with your blasphemy. Did JayK cast us into the proverbial pyre for this abortion of communication? I want the ability to dip out for months at a time and catch up.

Only feasible way is a new backup forum. From a financial standpoint, its not a big deal. We're all middle aged, a few bucks wont keep the bourbon from being poured.

Another alternative is to reach out to another lively forum. Only one I can think of is Revelation of Doom which took over for NWN after the whole shitshow last year.

Perhaps if we make a money offer, they'll add a sub forum on our behalf? This would also give us the potential for new members? We could populate that sub in the interim as a more music driven platform, while shitposting on this end. Once Deron eventually caves, we have a seamless transition.

Just thinking out of my ass, but yea, RC must outlive the final member.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Of course RiA quotes me and misses the fucking point of my post.

What was the point Brandon? Reddit isnt conducive to the interaction I want from metalheads. Discussion is stuck in the moment. I got an acct that I use for a couple investment related bishs, but outside of stonk horse shit, or laughing at Belle Delphine sell her bathwater, its an abortion.

Not to mention id be negative karma from half of this forum and one hundo percent of the lurkers. Ye want me cancelled like Carano? Come clean fam!

The point I was trying to make was I like nested style of comments much more than forum. It focuses the discussion and is easier to read. Second, the entire site doesn't really matter if you only focus on specific subreddit. Many people only go to on subreddit, not the entire site. I don't care for the vote system, and it wasn't what I was talking about.

Sent the admin of Revelation of Doom a PM. Lets see what he has to say. Worst thing, "fuck off."

I dont see us lasting without piggybacking.

Not going to reddit even if prime Carmen Electra offered poon for posts. Not happening Brando.

well it's worth investigating but i feel like piggybacking off another metal forum that has an established culture and many times the users would totally overwhelm and kill whatever is unique about this community

Reactions: NAD
It would be cool if we could get some old geezers from other subs to migrate over here. I'm sure there's a ton of UM homeless that pop in from time to time. Would love to see a days of whore return with a fair amount of activity. It's about as lively as it's been in a decade, but still pales from the glory days.

My cursory research on message board costs leads me to believe that Deron isn't paying a king's ransom for this graveyard. Most Xenforo costs are paid up front, so that only leaves the question of how much he is paying for hosting.

@MetalAges

I said it earlier in this thread but as soon as Deron realizes that we're still here he's gonna del *.* our collective arse.

My cursory research on message board costs leads me to believe that Deron isn't paying a king's ransom for this graveyard. Most Xenforo costs are paid up front, so that only leaves the question of how much he is paying for hosting.
um has about 226k visitors a month, as estimated by a couple of online traffic measurement tools, which is not nothing but it's not serving super heavy content

so it's probably not SUPER expensive hosting and maybe the fees for whatever remaining official band forums are still around just about cover it but regardless of the costs, it certainly is not looking very good long term because the forums are just simply very obviously dying, there's nothing going on in most of them

hosting rc by itself would cost nearly nothing, like ballpark 10-20 bux a month for a reliable host

Last edited:
We should really just set up a new forum and make the jump before its too late (and by "we", I mean "you" because I'm completely ignorant about this stuff).