What's the deal with Demon of the Fall?

Your right in saying that it´s not one of the best Opeth songs. On the other hand when you "get into" it,IMO, it´s better than "average". To me it´s the second best of my MAYH only beaten by April Ethereal.

Well it's a crowd favourite and often a song that gets people into Opeth so it's no wonder that they keep playing it as the encore. Guess the heaviness/straight-forwardness (more than in most of their songs anyway) of the song helps.

well it seems that some people REALLY love it, while other people don't think it's that great, each of those two factions roughly resembles half of the fanbase each (this is what I have gathered here on the web and in real life).

To me Demon Of The Fall is one of my all time favourite songs

Demon of the Fall was the first "heavy" Opeth song which I loved, it's the one song that gets a lot people into Opeth (me for intance):). Now I think that April Ethereal and When are better songs but I would love to hear "Demon of the Fall" live.

The song is just easier to headbang and all that too than the others, it kicks the ass but in a more metal sort of way - it's less proggy than their other stuff, ya know what im saying?

errr... DotF = 6 mins or so
and it focuses on a central riff scheme

but other songs change a lot throughout and are longer

Personally, Demon of the Fall is a great song and possibly one of my favorites by them. I especially have a thing for the way the acoustic part builds energy and then explodes back in the with vocals and the whole band going nuts. The chords used are fantastic and the thrum of the guitars natural dissonance is great.

I used to be in the catagory of people who thought it was a very good song, but not quite in the top echelon of Opeth songs. However, the more I listen to it, and the more I get into the story of the album the more I love this song. The pure furry in the vocals during the screams is incomprable, absolutly mind-numbing. I love the way there are short acoustic interludes to bulid up to those movements of fury, and then they end it so beautifully. Also I think its placement on the album is key to its popularity, its definally made to be the peak of the album as well as the story...

Demon of the Fall owns.. I really like the balance of the first aggressive part with the second not-quite-as-agressive part. And the energy rush building up at that acoustic-guitar thing in the middle of the heavy part.. leading on to "DEMON.... DEMON OF THE FALL!!!!!!!!!" it owns me :)

I love the moment when Mikael starts growlng: "Silent dance with deeeaaaaaathhhh":> btw It was also one of the first songs by Opeth that I heard, so I have some great memories with DEMON..... but I agree it isn't as brilliant as for ex. "When" (as for MAYH album)

Am I the only one in here who doesn't see what's so great about this song? To me, it's one of Opeth's least good songs... I DO like it but it's nothing compared to some other ones.

*aims, and pulls the trigger*

You need to hear it live, my friend.