What's the first thing you want to hear?

what do you seek in new music, and, or band?

• Total voters
I'd vote "general mood" as the feeling and the whole atmosphere are what matters the most to me, even though I'm also pretty much a vocal guy when it comes to heavy metal.
Bring on the good singers again, I'm getting sick of all these grunters.

But vocals suck in Bathory and I still love them, it's part of the charm. I'm listening to Primordial right now and I have the same kind of feeling...

What about Yngwie playing early stuff ? How about Coroner ?

Bryant

Honestly, production is probably the first thing I NEED to hear in order to properly enjoy the music. That isn't to say there is only one "style" or type of production that is acceptable to me -but across the spectrum from raw and sludgy to clean and crisp, it must be powerful and full! Metal's strenght(for lack of a better world) for me comes from the power of the music - and shoddy sound can simply destroy or negate that effect.

Sadly, as a fan of Black Metal, this is a never-ending lament for me. I find the raw, even sloppily executed brilliance of classic Venom or Bathory(we never thought the production was bad back then - a little rough perhaps!)infinitely more listenable that 2/3's of the Black Metal of the "second wave." It's a shame really - for often magnificent ideas and creative genius is truly "lost in the sauce" for, as much of this music sound like it was recorded through a walkie-talkie onto a battery-operated boom-box...at the bottom of a well...in a rainstorm...with high winds...

Beyond all that I am a stickler for drum sound(and to a slightly lesser degree vocals performance). I cannot count how many otherwise albums have been ruined for me by weak or thin drum sounds - even within a fairly strongly produced recording. And if the vocals are weak, though I may like the band in general, I find that they don't make the CD player all that often.

What about Yngwie playing early stuff ? How about Coroner ?

Bryant
I like Yngwie's instrumental early works, the absence of vocals is tolerable thanks to the strong songwriting. Yet I'm not that much a fan of his either, let's say I'm a casual listener.

Coroner is another story, at first I couldn't stand Ron's voice but now I must admit the whole thing is impressive :kickass: