What got you started?

For me, it all started with my old Dungeons and Dragons crowd when I was 15. The magic year was 1980! My dungeon master used to play music as a backdrop to his games...like when our adventure party met up with a small pack of metallic, robot-like monsters, he played Metal Gods by Judas Priest. Once he based an entire campaign on Michael Moorcock's Elrich character, where he played Black Blade and Monsters by BOC. Also recall times where Sabbath and Pink Floyd were used.

Those four bands were my introduction to music, and a year or so later Blizzard of Ozz came out, which I borrowed from a friend. I couldn't stop listening to it! I was addicted. Eventually my friend threatened to castrate me if I didn't return his record, so I bought a copy for myself along with Diary of a Madman.

From there, I made a point of being friends with other music fans (like rokk) so we could share experiences and trade music. The 80s were a wonderful time for me! Great friends, great music, great memories.

Manowar - The Triumph of Steel

Along with Kings of Metal, at 1994 (or early 1995?). Then it was difficult to like any other type of music. :)

My first dip into hard rock was in 1983 (11-12 years old) when I heard Def Lep's "Fooling" and Quiet Riot's "Cum On Feel the Noize". Prior to that, I 'discovered' music a year or two earlier via early 80s pop Culture Club, Duran Duran, and the Police! Let's just say that Def Lep and QR were an awakening of sorts. My first true metal albums were Maiden's "Number" and "Piece of Mid" both of which I purchased on the same day in the summer of 1984 (a few months prior to my 13th birthday). Within a year, Ozzy, Sabbath, Dio, Priest, AC/DC, etc., were all dominating my time!!! And I've never looked back!:headbang:

I had the same experience as you and the same age as you back in 1983.. Def Leppards Pyromania album and Quiet Riots... btw i consider both metal (well DL was at the time imo not anymore after that album and QR always was)... anyways i went through my phases after that going from my Twisted Sister phase to Motley Crue phase to Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath phase to Metallica and other thrash bands (when i started listening to underground bands) till my current phase of Black Metal... but i still listen to everything from the classics like ozzy, priest, maiden, AC/DC to Black Metal now and everything in between... except power metal...

For me it was listening to my older brothers' Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Golden Earring, Bad Company, Aerosmith, Kiss, Ted Nugent, Rush, Montrose, Thin Lizzy, Black Oak Arkansas, and Alice Cooper back in the mid-70's.

For me it was listening to my older brothers' Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Golden Earring, Bad Company, Aerosmith, Kiss, Ted Nugent, Rush, Montrose, Thin Lizzy, Black Oak Arkansas, and Alice Cooper back in the mid-70's.

Thats a damn good basis to start with! :headbang:

"You wanted the best, YOu got the best. THe hottest band in the world KISS!" That pretty much set me on the path. MY dad used to be a banjo player in Dixieland Jazz bands so music was always playing in the house. However, it was the older kids on my block who got me into rock. Kiss, Alice Cooper,Sabbath, Nugent were the bands of choice in the late seventies for me. Enter the 80's, bands like AC/DC,Triumph, Iron Maiden, Priest, Def Leppard, and the start of MTV opened up a whole new world of bands. By the time I was a freshman in high school Metallica were gods and thrash was the new metal.

I may have mentioned this before, but if not, here goes:

When I was 7-8 years old, I started raiding my older sister's record collection, starting with the Beatles. The more I delved into it, the further away the "kiddie" records drifted. She had a lot of everything from Purple, Stones, Zep, Hendrix, etc etc. I think it was 1976-7 when I first got into Kiss, then AC/DC, then I picked up a copy of Kerrang #5, and found out about all these great bands I never heard of. That was THE best rock mag in existance at the time. Kerrang was my bible for the longest time. Then, later in life comes the internet, and all hell has broken loose. I can NOT keep up with all the stuff coming out now, good & bad.

When I heard KISS' Destroyer album after is was first released in '76 at a friends house it was like an epiphany for me. We listened to album over and over and I couldn't get enough. I straightway signed up for the RCA record club to get my three free albums... Rock-n-Roll Over, Love Gun, Destroyer and bought KISS Alive II.

Then in '80 AC/DC's Back in Black was huge and everywhere. It really put hard rock in the forefront of popularity hearing that kind of music on the radio. And then a friend left his Blizzard of Oz 8 track behind at my house and I listened to incessantly.

Of course as the eighties kicked into high gear I was avidly reading Circus and Hit Parader looking for the newest band on the metal scene and to maximize exposure to new bands by trading music with friends such as TSO! If you listened to metal and wore the T's with pride it made you part of something bigger that fellow metalheads instantly identified with. Thats the coolest thing about this messageboard... that same feeling is here IMO!

:headbang:

If you listened to metal and wore the T's with pride it made you part of something bigger that fellow metalheads instantly identified with. Thats the coolest thing about this messageboard... that same feeling is here IMO!

:headbang:

YEAH DUDE!
I've always felt strength around my friends and especially at concerts, even in my car, when that baddas song that you have not heard in a long time that just makes you head bang no matter where you are. That's why I'm proud to be a part of this forum, regular cool ass people, even the celeb her and there all part of the family. Maybe we don't always get along but so what that's part of it too, not everyone will see eye to eye...Just like a big disfunctional family. People call metal a big slow moving dinosoar? It's true! and nothing can stop this mutherfucker from the path it paves! HERE'S TO ALL OF YOU!!!:kickass:

The band that first got me liking metal was Disturbed

but then i heard cradle of filth and i fucking just went up from there to liking stuff like Mayhem, Cannibal Corpse and all that stuff

it sounds really weird though that my first metal band was disturbed, but cradle of filth just sent me into it and the first album i heard of theirs was umm, midian but the first album i bought was nymphetamine

yeah thats basically it

all the best

I feel like a baby here! The turning piont for me would have to be Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengance. That got me hooked right into it all.

I was a Kiss fan as a kid, yeah, but what really got me "into metal" was the video for Motley Crue's "Too Young To Fall In Love". I hated all that "acid rock" till then, but I was instantly converted into a headbanging maniac.

I was a Kiss fan as a kid, yeah, but what really got me "into metal" was the video for Motley Crue's "Too Young To Fall In Love". I hated all that "acid rock" till then, but I was instantly converted into a headbanging maniac.

YEAH!!!That song is total killer.:kickass:

I just started listening to music about 4 years ago. Before I didn't really listen to alot i just liked what was popular at the moment. But my friend brought in Rage Against The Machine's "Sleep Now In The Fire" for a project at school teaching about the power of music lyrics. And when i heard it i was amazed and went out and bought the album. Then i realized that there were alot of kids at my school that listen to rock/metal and eventually fell in with them. My second band that brought me in would be Metallica.

I first heard BLACK SABBATH in the summer of 1973. My aunt was babysitting and brought her record collection and she put the album, 'Paranoid' on and it was the coolest shit I ever heard, for an 8 year old. Been a fan ever since...I grew up listening to MOTWON at first, and I still love it lots, and CCR, Deep Purple, WAR...but BLACK SABBATH too me was the best band I ever heard.

She let us watch Midnight Special w/ Wolfman Jack, and Don Kirshners Rock Concert as well...

Now, mostly into DEATH metal.... \m/:kickass:

She let us watch Midnight Special w/ Wolfman Jack, and Don Kirshners Rock Concert as well...

Holy SHIT - I thought ONLY I would remember those concert shows!! :worship:
I remember waiting up till 1AM (Long before VCR's were affordable) to watch Black Sabbath on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert (could have been Midnight Special since it aired an hour late here). BUT - Sabbath naver came on - They had Slade on instead & they did 'Far Far Away' & "How Does It Feel". Never heard Slade before that night but I became an instant fan. I still think they are one of the most underrated bands ever.

I first got into metal from illegally downloading metallica songs

I love the irony

Too funny and too depressing. When I started, download was not even in the lingo :erk: The closest was somebody copying an album on tape for you (and if you paid for it then was piracy :lol: ). I'm definitively getting old :D