What got you started?

Too funny and too depressing. When I started, download was not even in the lingo :erk: The closest was somebody copying an album on tape for you (and if you paid for it then was piracy :lol: ). I'm definitively getting old :D

So true!
I dont know how some of you guys can remember the specifics. I know it began with Kiss, then I was lead away to pop. I recall being drawn back to metal through bands like Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Ozzy/Dio and their other band, lol. Thrash metal followed soon after along with too much drinking & headbanging as suggested by Tankard and Metallica's Alcoholica phase.:headbang:

I don't think there was any one album that set it off. It was a slow progression for me. My older brothers always listened to rock and heavy stuff. I mostly listened to Rock radio anyways. I remember hearing plenty of Van Halen songs. Kiss- Heaven's on Fire. My oldest brother liked Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Scorpions, and AC/DC mostly.

I remember listening to his Scorpions- World Wide Live album many times. I still love that album. I still love the Scorpions.

He also had Motley Crue's first and second albums. I remember listening those when folding newspapers for delivery.

But what really set it off was the first album I bought (that I remember). Metallica- Master of Puppets. I moved from mainstream metal and rock to the heavier stuff at this point. I started moving onto Dio and bands like that as well. Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Anthrax. Then my friend convinced me to by Dark Angel- Leave Scars. This seemed to me the heaviest album ever at the time. In the end, Metallica ended up being my favourite band.

I used to like a lot of alternative-grunge shit. Nirvana, The White Stripes, etc. So I moved to where I am now, met some kids who also played guitar I went over to my friend Joes house he showed me Master of Puppets and Vulgar Display of Power and I just learned from there. Ever since Ive gotten deeper and deeper.

I have no idea, I was a kid back in the 80's and metal was playing around, I don't know what it was though, most likely thrash or heavy metal. I got back into it as a teen with known bands like slayer and iron maiden.