what's this sudden distaste for blastbeats?

Despite the drumming, Severed Saviour and Disavowed are pretty darn fine I reckon. They've got good riff progressions; the songs actually sound like they're building into something, and Severed Saviour especially have some very interesting riff deconstructions that decay over their songs.

SculptedCold said:
I wouldn't have said Deeds of Flesh were about technicality and compactness, considering they've got a fair few comparatively long tracks and don't strike me in the slightest as technical compared to a band like Spawn of Possession, or even just Disavowed maybe.

Again - have you actually listened thoroughly to any of Deeds Of Flesh's albums, and not just random mp3 files? I didn't like them much at the first couple of listens, but they grew to become one of my favourite bands. Some of their music is rather hard to digest, but when it finally clicks.. Orgasmic. "Mark Of The Legion" is the closest thing you'll ever get to DM that is insanely brutal and epic at the same time.

^^^ I used to think they were utter shit until I actually sat down and listened to "Reduced To Ashes". I've heard its not their best album, but evenso it was awesome once it finally "clicked".

I've got Reduced to Ashes, listened through it about half a dozen times and almost fell asleep each time. I've got all but one of their other albums on teh empeethree and my listens of them haven't swayed me either.

I can stand a bit of Brutal Death Metal, but I don't have any albums. I just a have random mp3 files that I haven't listened to in like a year. So basically this post is meaningless.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Meh...The tempo changes they do incorporate are just for the sake of changing tempo, the actual music is written to be a brutal blast-fest, nothing more. That's why it sucks.

Indeed. Unique Leader bands and the like (*looks in the direction of the Unmatched Brutality, Amputated Vein, TXDM Underground, ET FUCKING CETERA labels*) incoporate pretty random "technical" blasting and stuff like that. Suffocation did it first and best, and Unique Leader is pretty much based off the old NYDM scene (technical riffs, grind song structuring with heaps upon heaps of time signature changes and random shit), with some stuff like Psycroptic and Mortal Decay breaking up the flow every now and then with something (relatively) fresh and different. I still like Spawn Of Possession, Deeds Of Flesh, Disavowed and the like, and (with the exception of Disavowed and some other stuff), nothing they've released has been AMAZING.

It was sparked off by the heaps of 'brutal' Unique Leader type bands with harsh pointless fast blasting music, mainly. I just generally hate bands who don't incorporate any tempo changes. Blasting can certainly be done tastefully, I'm not disputing that.
Yes a bunch of bands like Disgorge and Severed Savior on that label are shitty.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Indeed. Unique Leader bands and the like (*looks in the direction of the Unmatched Brutality, Amputated Vein, TXDM Underground, ET FUCKING CETERA labels*) incoporate pretty random "technical" blasting and stuff like that. Suffocation did it first and best, and Unique Leader is pretty much based off the old NYDM scene (technical riffs, grind song structuring with heaps upon heaps of time signature changes and random shit), with some stuff like Psycroptic and Mortal Decay breaking up the flow every now and then with something (relatively) fresh and different. I still like Spawn Of Possession, Deeds Of Flesh, Disavowed and the like, and (with the exception of Disavowed and some other stuff), nothing they've released has been AMAZING.

I don't think Suffocation did it best. There are bands inspired by Suffocation but they are actually better, for example Internal Suffering - Chaotic Matrix.

I disagree that Suffocation did that first/best, but meh, Pierced From Within still gets the odd listen.

Effigy Of The Forgotten is a brilliant old-school death album and one of the first, if not THE first, albums to be brutal death with TONS of blastbeats and interlaced tech riffs and some grind-y song structuring.