What's wrong with By the pain I see in others?

I fucking love by the pain i see in others.

RISE TO SUBMISSION

that's right motherfuckers, if you don't like this song, well... fuck you.

and a negative effect on how some people perceive the record as well ... some people who don't like Deliverance (the album) seem only able to use the above statement as an argument why they don't like it :erk:

Deliverance remains my favourite album thusfar, maybe just because of the dark vibe, don't know. How anyone can not get goosebumps when listening to A Fair Judgement, or feel all eary as if watching an old ghost movie when listening to the entire album, is beyond me :headbang:

i have been debating on whether to call deliverance my fav album. while im so close to saying it is, i feel the album captures the greatest/worst opeth moments.

production/mastering wise i feel it's their best. i love the cold crisp sound of everything on the album, the drum mastering by andy sneaps(sp?) is perfect IMO.

IMO opeth's greatest song is deliverance. everything about it just strikes me as perfect.

However, i will say that BTPISIO is Opeth's worst. it feels completley emotionless. and while the song had alot of negative emotion involved while recording it, i have yet to feel or get goosebumps towards this song's lyrics/song structure/etc.

I am personally not a huge fan of the song it seems a bit disjointed to me it I had to rank the songs on Deliverance it would go something like this

Deliverance-This probably has to be one of the best tracks they have ever recorded I really wish Opeth would hit the 13 minuet mark a lot more

A Fair Judgement- One of the most Beautiful songs on the album that bridge section just before that last guitar solo and the awesome Doom metal finale is one of the highlight's of the album

Wreath- Fantastic Opener some great wierd almost pompous sounding riffage at the beginning which is fucking awesome and then the dark riffs that come later on and just sound like something out of a really fucking scary horror film

Masters Apprentices- You're gonna be wondering why this is lower than wreath....Well it was a though one It has one of the greatest intro riffs of all time imo but the middle quiet section for me Drags on for ages.

For Absent Friends- Nice little instrumental quite jazzy on its own is probably the weakest on the album but it serves as a really good prelude to the metallic onslaught that is the masters apprentices

By The Pain I see In Others- I do like this song a lot but Imho its the weakest song Opeth have ever record the sections by themselves are cool but some of the transistions arn't great. Its just greatly overshadowed by what has come before it. I have always thought that with an album Its the Opener and the Finale that are the most important this song would of been better somewere else.

You guys obvoiusly haven't realized that the song is not ending after the 9+ minute mark...um...turn it up a little louder, and you'll notice that they let the chords continue to reverberate, and the circus like music(10:04) is very quietly floating around, and (a crash/rumle at 10:32-10:36)the backwards talk is from vocal lines from the previous (3:56-4:18, and again later) song Master's Aprentice. The first backwards lyrics at(12:01-12:40) are from Deliverance(2:10) And Mikael ,years ago in a mag inteview, said that Wilson and him were screwing around with some stuff, and he came in when Wilson was playing the part backwards late one night, and it gave him the creeps, so he knew it would fit into the lyrical theme of the last song.

I absolutely love the circus bit that starts at 5:04. If the entire song was built around that, it would probably be my favorite Opeth song!

Agreed. That's one of my favorite Opeth parts. :kickass:

Just so I know...
"Progressive" doesn't necessarily mean that it's not heavy... right?

Progressive means a genre that has "progressed" to sound more like another genre. It's an extremely broad term, considering all the different music present today. Once a specific type of progressive music has developed, it can be called a genre (that's how I think of it).

I cycle in to work and that song is always an excellent choice to pedal harder!

Ha I can so see you pedalling consistently and then the first Rise To Submission comes in and you go absolutely nuts! only to calm down for the 2nd verse. Quality stuff, I've never ridden in the cold before while listening to Opeth, sounds like a great idea..

This song is also one of my favourites. I like how the drums alter the feel of the 'rise to submition' sections, the first2 of which is really fast and chaotic, while the 2nd is more relaxed and groovy.

Ha I can so see you pedalling consistently and then the first Rise To Submission comes in and you go absolutely nuts! only to calm down for the 2nd verse. Quality stuff, I've never ridden in the cold before while listening to Opeth, sounds like a great idea..

If you're late you could listen to Brain Drill and destroy your legs in the process.

It's my third favorite song on the album behind Deliverance and Master's. I think it is a very strong song, even though it is typically disregarded.

Strangely enough this was the first Opeth song I learned on guitar. My tab of it used to be on Opeth Darkwood until the site disappeared. I quite like it, it is rather strange but I think it is kind of interesting on the album after the four other songs that flow really smoothly to have this one really erratic one.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;6956792 said:
I don't know what's wrong with it, but it's probably my worst song I've written. It was a great song "on paper" but stress + the general vibe in the studio just made it a very dark memory. That song sums up everything I disliked about that recording. With that said, it's a pretty agressive song.
I'm however glad some of you like it. I have a personal relationship with the songs in a different way which can have a very negative effect on my actual opinion of the song.

Cheers
Mike

that song completely rules!!! the ending riff is one of the most aggressive parts you have ever done, so go away with your lame thoughts about your music and record another album!!