What's your favorite song from each album?

Kazar

SW-moderator
May 14, 2007
Well, like the threadtitle says: which song, from each album, do you like the most (for whatever reason - musically and/or lyrically)?

uhm, very hard to say

I would probably choose: Day By Day (both versions), The Edge Of My Blade (fascinating lyrics), A Day Away (it makes me feel well), The Angelmaker (no particular reason, just because it's one of the most beautiful song in history :)...... oh, of course the lyrics too)

The Damned (honestly I have no idea why I like this so much...maybe the vocal lines)
Star of David tied with Waiting in the Wings
Break the Silence
and The Great Escape of course!

Waiting In The Wings
Break The Silence
The Great Escape

I realise that does coincide exactly to the longest song on each album, but Break The Silence has always been one of my favourite SW songs, second only to TGE's title track now. Picking a favourite for Waiting In The Wings is a bit more difficult - I might even go with Pieces over the title track on occasion.

Taint the sky
The Black Parade
King of Whitewater

I don't have the first album, and Taint the Sky was the first SW song I ever heard. I really like the chorus in The Black Parade. Just the way it sounds, I can't exactly describe it, but I just really like it. And I really like the instrumental stuff in King of Whitewater

As I'm sure it is with everyone here, picking a favorite is like torture... As of this moment, these are my faves.. but if you ask me again, I'll have a different answer :p

WitW - Devil's Inc. - I love everything about this song...
Mercy Falls - Break the Silence - I live for what happens from 4:13 to 7:48 of this song...
TGE - King of Whitewater - The intro is f'n awesome and the guitar groove in this is wikked sick :worship: ; especially the little diddy at 3:19

hmm, on mercy falls it's a difficult question cause you need all the songs experience the story. but one of my favorites is A Day away because it's so happy and playful

on Witw I don't have a favorite song, I think iv'e listened to little on it. got in to SW when mercy falls came and since it takes so much time to "be done" listening to a SW album I haven't got the time enough for Witw. same for become

On the great escape it's easy. TGEsong kicks every other songs ass and not because the other songs are bad. but TGEsong is in my opinion one of the best songs ever made. it's just... perfect.

Carlsberg don't make music, but if they did, it probably sound like Seventh Wonder.
Seventh wonder don't make beer, but if they did, I'd be an alcoholic

1) The edge of my blade, because of the last 2 minutes! Haven't heard anything as epic since James Labries F# in DT's Learning to Live
2) Unbreakable
3) Obviously The Great Escape, with Angelmaker as a strong second.

I haven't listened enough to "Become" to have an opinion... but for the rest:

Waiting In The Wings: The Edge Of My Blade
I just love the drive the song has, it goes along so well when I'm mad at something. :heh:

Mercy Falls: The Black Parade (I had lilsted A Day Away first, but I changed my mind. :D)

The Great Escape: King Of Whitewater
I'm so in love with the melody and the piano & violin parts... I would so follow to the river. :saint:

Making a pick for each album is so difficult, I could pick almost all of the other songs as well. For WitW Taint The Sky was close second and for TGE I would say it was.... errr... *head_explodes* :worship:

WITW - Taint the Sky
MF - Break the Silence
TGE - King of Whitewater

As some of you say, it's hard to choose. But isn't it great to have these choices to make?
Such an outstanding band. I would love to see them. I don't yet have Become so I can't
comment on that one.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Making a decision about the best song per album is a tough one indeed, but (like almost all of you already said) it is that tough because the quality of all the songs are so extremely high....:kickass: :worship:.

Here's my list, by the way:
Become: In the Blink of an Eye
WITW: The Edge of my Blade
MF: Hide and Seek (very tough decision between HaS and Break the Silence)
TGE: The Great Escape

Here's a little summary of all the songs mentioned so far:

Become:
Day by Day 1
Like Him 1
The Damned 1
In the Blink of an Eye 1

Waiting in the Wings:
Star of David 2
Taint the Sky 2
Waiting in the Wings 2
Devil's Inc. 2
The Edge of my Blade 4

Mercy Falls:
Unbreakable 1
A Day Away 1
Break the Silence 5
Hide and Seek 1
Destiny Calls 1
The Black Parade 2

The Great Escape:
Wiseman 1
The Angelmaker 1
King of Whitewater 4
The Great Escape 7

[I have to skip debut album 'cause i'm not into power metal]

Taint The Sky (excellent keyboards reminding me the great 80's), Banish The Wicked (just excellent song armed with incredible Jenny's backgrund vocals), Edge Of My Blade (few my favourite hard rock riffs there), Walking Tall (my love from first listening)

There And Back (it all started with this one; dark beginning is amazing), A New Beginning (just brilliant instrumental), Break The Silence (true masterpiece)

Move On Through (i love bass parts here),Wiseman (because it sounds similar to previous album), Alley Cat (excellent chorus)

Become: The Damned. (I love the chorus)
WITW: Edge Of My Blade. (Really awesome song overall, catchy, great riffs and a superb solo!)
Mercy Falls: Unbreakable without a doubt. (This song has everything <3)
The Great Escape: King Of Whitewater + the titletrack ofc. (King Of Whitewater is very like Unbreakable in my opinion)

Thanks Pobin, you're first contribution in a 'non-guitar/non-Pobin related thread' is noticed and appreciated... :devil:

Some of you have mentioned the Damned from Become. I like that song too and thought I'd share a little funny story about it.

Johan wrote that song pretty much on his own, and we then met up at Andi's place to work on the vocal melodies (as we did back then) and I remember coming up with the so gruesomely cheesy 80's style lyrics vocal line that went;

"Queen of the damned, rocking the living" -and we took it from there...

Ha Ha!

Anyway, that is part of my clearest memories from that song and I always laugh when I think about it. Fortunately Andi cleaned it up a bit when he wrote the lyrics for it....

btw, Kazar
you did a great effort compiling the results here but wouldn't it have been easier with a big poll? :p

Thanks Pobin, you're first contribution in a 'non-guitar/non-Pobin related thread' is noticed and appreciated... :devil:
Yeah I might have been a pain in the ass Kazar and I am sorry for that! :worship:
I'm gonna contribute alot more from now on!:)
Great story Andreas, it is very cool to get a view on how you guys wrote the song! :headbang:

.... btw, Kazar
you did a great effort compiling the results here but wouldn't it have been easier with a big poll? :p

:D
I had thought of that for a moment but then figured that the list perhaps would be a bit too long - and it's always great to read the (sometimes very personal) reason why people choose a certain song.
Thanks for the reminder though, I'll use it in the next thread 'involving choices'... :).

Nice anecdote regarding 'The Damned', by the way :lol:.