What's your most anticipated musical moment at PP6 ?

Dark One said:
LOL. I'd create that same list but substitute Stratovarius and make the list applicable to Hammerfall.
Fair enough. But I really dug those first two Hammerfall CDs when they were released. Granted, I was just getting back into Metal at the time, and they were one of the first bands I stumbled upon.

By the way, I'm cranking up the new Naglfar. The track "A Swarm of Plagues" f**king slays. Is it just me, or are these guys just a scaled down, edgier version of Dimmu?

Zod

totally dude!

General Zod said:
Fair enough. But I really dug those first two Hammerfall CDs when they were released. Granted, I was just getting back into Metal at the time, and they were one of the first bands I stumbled upon.

By the way, I'm cranking up the new Naglfar. The track "A Swarm of Plagues" f**king slays. Is it just me, or are these guys just a scaled down, edgier version of Dimmu?

Zod

I have tons of things i'm hoping to hear, but i'll narrow it down to must have's from each band...

1. Manticora - "Help Me Like No One Can"... god, the floor will go nuts on this one, fuckin great song.
2. CM - "Alive" still love this song best on the cd, 'Sin' will be equally as great.
3. OL - Can't wait to taste beer, shop for cd's, and eat while they're playing.
4. Conception - "Gethsemane", I really hope they play this song.
5. Angra - "Heroes Of Sand", just about anything really but i'll go nuts if/when they play this.

1. Stride - Dunno, have to wait for the cd
2. Symphorce - "Two Seconds To Live", kick ass song with heavy groove, should get everyone moving well.
3. PC69 - "Carnaby Road", love the chorus to this.
4. Therion - see OL
5. Stratovarius - "The Abyss Of Your Eyes", I don't think they'll play this but if they do it will make my weekend complete.

General Zod said:

I understand. The same thing happened to me with Gamma Ray (and subsequently Blind Guardian, Angra and Stratovarius) when I "discovered" the world of underground metal.

General Zod said:

Agreed. A scaled down, edgier (and speedier) version of Dimmu with more melody as well (at least on the current release).

Oh yeah, and "A Swarm of Plagues" is absolutely outstanding. BTW, if you haven't checked out Sheol (their last album) yet, you need to do so. It's not as "evolved" as Pariah (in a manner of speaking), but it does employ many of the same elements and is just balls out heavy as hell. Check out "Of Gorgans Spawned Though Witchcraft", my personal favorite. :headbang:

General Zod said:
We all have our "CD shopping/drinking" bands. But I'm curious, what do you dislike about OL? Is it just that you don't like Death vox?

Zod

I can't stand death vox! I can honestly say that there are a good number of bands that I'd listen to if they'd drop the cookie monster act.

For example, Into Eternity is a fantastic band, but for me personally, the death vox turns me off completely.

Death vox is just so Headbanger's Ball to me, and I can't seem to get past it. :erk:

Dark One said:
BTW, if you haven't checked out Sheol (their last album) yet, you need to do so. It's not as "evolved" as Pariah (in a manner of speaking), but it does employ many of the same elements and is just balls out heavy as hell. Check out "Of Gorgans Spawned Though Witchcraft", my personal favorite. :headbang:
Actually, I listened to "Sheol" back when it was released and thought to myself, "They're good at what they do, but this isn't something that I would listen to with any frequency." However, as my tastes have evolved, and I've grown to appreciate more extreme music (and given my new found fondness of Naglfar), I do plan to revisit "Sheol".

Zod

edgeofthorns said:
I can't stand death vox! I can honestly say that there are a good number of bands that I'd listen to if they'd drop the cookie monster act.
I completely understand where you're coming from. There used to be a time where I wrote off everything with Death vox. However, now half of what I buy uses the various styles of extreme vocals.

I feel for people who appreciate quality Metal, but can't get past extreme vocals. As you mentioned, there's a lot of real good music these days, that uses this style of vocal.

edgeofthorns said:
Death vox is just so Headbanger's Ball to me, and I can't seem to get past it.
Now that's odd. Granted so much of what they show on the Ball uses those vocals, but all those bands stole the style from real Metal bands. To me, it's kind of like saying you won't listen to Judas Priest, because they sound like Primal Fear.

Zod

MoreCowbell.jpg

-MetalRose

I'm scrolling down and seeing someone mention Conception and Cardinal Sin - OH YEAH, I'm gonna reply to that one.... then someone says Parallel Minds..... okay yeah there's that.... Roll the Fire... omg yeah.... Under A Mourning Star... oh geez I remember the first time I played that disc and that intro riff came in - Tore reached out of the speaker and punched me in the face....

Bascially I am replying to every song people mentioned for Conception - YES!!:headbang:

I truly can't believe after all these years I am actually going to see the band - the original line up - play live....

In all seriousness - I truly might spontaneously combust out there on the floor right in front of the stage......

:hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump:

General Zod said:
I completely understand where you're coming from. There used to be a time where I wrote off everything with Death vox. However, now half of what I buy uses the various styles of extreme vocals.

I feel for people who appreciate quality Metal, but can't get past extreme vocals. As you mentioned, there's a lot of real good music these days, that uses this style of vocal.

Now that's odd. Granted so much of what they show on the Ball uses those vocals, but all those bands stole the style from real Metal bands. To me, it's kind of like saying you won't listen to Judas Priest, because they sound like Primal Fear.

Zod
As much as I completely and wholeheartedly until the day I die disagree with Zod on his opinion of Running Wild, I do agree with him about bands with death/black metal vocals. I used to absolutely hate those vocals! Fucking hated them! I'm a lover of power metal, but as in the 80's, the scene was getting diluted. So, I wanted to try something different. I bought Arch Enemy "Wages of Sin", Amon Amarth "The Crusher", and In Flames "Reroute to Remain" at the same time and finally I "got it". These vocals actually make the music better some times. As I got to understand the more melodic death style, I wanted to go even more extreme. Now I love Morbid Angel, Vital Remains, Naglfar, The Forsaken, Cradle of Filth, Satyricon, Old Man's Child, etc..., and last, but not least Dimmu Borgir. They fucking rule like there's no tomorrow! Give it a chance. Great music is great music no matter what style the vocals are. Also, check out Shadows Fall. I know they're metalcore, but they are fucking amazing!

If Kai Hansen shows up my pants will be so full of shit it they will fall right off!!! That is my favorite track off "Temple Of Shadows", oh my god just the thought of them playing with Kai gives me goosebumps.

edgeofthorns said:

For example, Into Eternity is a fantastic band, but for me personally, the death vox turns me off completely.

Death vox is just so Headbanger's Ball to me, and I can't seem to get past it. :erk:

Harsh vocals are something you have to get into, almost no ones likes them the first time, or the tenth time they hear them either. I think Orphaned Land have relatively accessible harsh vocals, two other bands most people seem to get into harsh vocals with are Opeth and Children Of Bodom, since they have pretty accessible harsh vocals, although I'm sure you already know both of them. You might eventually find yourself enjoying Cryptopsy and Wormed's vocals. :D

Stratovarius, PC69 & Angra. Also, seeing Andy Franck with Symphorce. My fiance & I had the pleasure of seeing him w/Brainstorm at BWBK last year. Great guy, great bands that he is in! It's our first ProgPower & we're really looking forward to the entire weekend. :headbang:

Deb

See your face by PC69, if they play it. It'd be nice to hear, not really expecting it, but damn, thats a good song.

Kai with Angra would PWN. OMG!!! How about PC's original singer comes out for a tune? Duet w/ Readman, that'd be cool. Forget his name tho.

ALMOST FORGOT:

MYYYYY SHARONAA

urinalcakemix said:
See your face by PC69, if they play it. It'd be nice to hear, not really expecting it, but damn, thats a good song.

Kai with Angra would PWN. OMG!!! How about PC's original singer comes out for a tune? Duet w/ Readman, that'd be cool. Forget his name tho.

ALMOST FORGOT:

MYYYYY SHARONAA

That would be Andi Deris from Helloween. A little duet of "Keep Your Eye On The Twisted" and someone would have to clean the floor around me.

General Zod said:
We all have our "CD shopping/drinking" bands. But I'm curious, what do you dislike about OL? Is it just that you don't like Death vox?

Zod

Sorry for the late response, just now read this post. What do I dislike about OL... well for starters, they are a little too 'proggressive' for my taste. I like some of the music, but the middle eastern overtones all over the place just do absolutely nothing for me... no more than that... they get on my nerves. I actually would probably like them a bit more if they had MORE death vox. Personally I think the singers clean voice is horrid. Very boring tone to it.

Basically this all goes back to my love of shit that's CATCHY. I need to remember a tune the first few times I hear it. There was nothing on that CD that caught my "catchy" ear. I listened to the cd 3 times all the way through, and once on my ipod with earphones (really attempting to discover what so many love about them), and I just didn't hear it. There's way too much GOOD stuff out there to waste more time trying to like them. I give every band that plays Progpower a good hard listen, every album if I can get a hold of them, and this year OL and Therion are definitely not my cup of tea.

But, death vox are no problemo for me as long as the songs are catchy (IE, In Flames, CoB, Soilwork, Diablo, etc.).