What has been your most important musical moment in your life to date?

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
My answer comes from the listening to music perspective. Although I've played keyboards for 40 years, playing an instrument doesn't hold a candle to listening to music for me. I also don't write music, so I have no inspirational moments to tell.

In truthful honesty, my musical listening enjoyment jumped leaps and bounds one evening in my bedroom. As I was turning on the comast cable network digital metal station one night back in 2001 prior to going to bed, the station was in the middle of playing this particular song that grabbed me 100%. I don't think I had ever felt anything like it before while listening to music. This song flowed, and this singer could sing both cleanly and sound like a death metal frontman.

"Bleak" enhanced my musical knowledge in an instant, and introduced me to Opeth, which I feel will be my favorite band for decades to come. Since that time I have found so many new bands from around the world, and heard so much incredible music.

Mine was also from listening to the Metal station on Comcast/Music Choice. It was back in 2002 & the tune was Deliverance. Great moment & the greatest song of all-time IMO.

2nd would be when I saw Metallica/Guns n Roses/Faith No More in Montreal. Yes, my 1st concert was when Hetfield got burned & the crowd later threw a riot, cuz of that A-Hole Axl Rose. I was only 11 at the time, but man it was awesome. But it also made me realize what a business music can be & that one asshole could ruin the night for 50,000 people.

deciding to learn the guitar opened up my mind to a lot more music than i had been listening to. i sought out good guitar players to learn from, which in turn led me to metal, which led to opeth.

in general, it seems like people who play an instrument, appreciate music and have a more diverse collection than people that don't. once you learn how to play an instrument some stuff thats popular you realize just sucks.

Well i'd been watching some of Live Shit by Metallica round a friends house, and thought it was pretty good. Then I got the Master of Puppets riff stuck in my head while riding my bike home. When I got home I went on a downloading spree and over the next few months became obsessed with Metallica. I joined a metallica forum which introduced me to many more bands, including Opeth.

Nightingale - Glory Days
still one of my all-time favorite songs, this one was indespensible forever for me. I can't really choose a most important moment, there are so many.

I decided to learn bass. My friend who played guitar that I jammed out with showed me all the Metallica stuff. In one summer I went out and bought all the Metallica cd's. Paycheck, Metallica, Paycheck, Metallica. All that led me to Dream Theater because their virtuoso playing. Then Goober and another friend of mine showed me Opeth. So I went on an Opeth spree hehe.

When I saw Iced Earth play live for my first time. It was the first metal band I had seen live, and immediately propelled me deep into the genre as I was fascinated by it, and the people involved (I talked with Jon Schaffer for a couple hours after the show). That was a defining moment for me musically.

This reminds me, I should listen to some Iced Earth. Its been awhile...

*goes to grab Night of the Stormrider*

Watching Ace Ventura a long time ago and seeing Cannibal Corpse on there, then getting Tomb of the Mutilated and falling in love with death metal!

On the bus to work one dreary morning I had my portable CD player with me.
As the melodies of Orchid hypnotized me and kinda melted into each other,
making it difficult to know where one song started and the other ended, it
felt to me as a long journey or an adventure throughout the album. It
wasn't just "music", it was a story that was read to me for the first time.
It had beauty as well as brutal moments - just like in my world or in any other tale.
I glanced at the landscape outside the bus window and Orchid became
a wonderful soundtrack to my every day boring life at the time.

Since that day I guess I was hooked on it. And everything still seems to evolve
around Opeth in some way.

When I make my own music I never bound myself with or restrict myself to certain
chords, lyrics or melodies anymore. I experiment. And when I pick up my
guitar I just start exploring because there's so much uncharted territory I
need to stride. Thank you Opeth!

"If there's a cure - I don't want it"

definitely when I got my first metal cd - Metallica's ...And Justice For All. That really showed me how the other music I was listening to at the time really sucked! (Let's not get into what I was listening to, now, people might violently regurgitate!)

Most likely when I heard Stabbing Westward's 'Save Yourself' on television years ago. Whilst looking at it now, the song is just average simplistic indie-rock, back then it opened me up to music in general and showed me that there is stuff out there that I can enjoy.

Well it's a tie!

A - Hearing a spanish female chorus singing modern classical music a cappella, in perfect harmony, in a beautiful church.
B - Listening exitingly for the first time on Ghost Reveries!

"Sic!"

When i was 15 years old, wanted to play to play bass and
guitar. Saved up $1500 to go to a place called Jazz Camp
and learned from some of the greatest SF Bay Area musicians.
Haven't stopped playing since..

This is actually kind of embarrassing but, back in my nu metal days, as I usually did, I was looking for nu metal bands on amazon.com to check out samples and i remembered about this band i heard, Otep :)erk: ), and not really reading one of the titles I clicked on it and listen to the sample, what i heard sounding NOTHING like Otep or nu metal for that matter, it was Opeth, I had never heard of this band before, but it was so intriguing. I had checked out samples from Still Life, and i was amazed to find out this was the same band playing soft songs like "Benighted" and heavy songs like "Godhead's Lament", so i checked out more samples, needless to say, it had pique'd my interest. Then one day, I was at a friends house again, and he had the music channel going on the metal station, and i heard something that sounded like a sample of Opeth I heard, and it was Deliverance -- "Walk with me/You'll never leave", it touched me so deeply, for the first time, I knew how powerful music could become. I was a musician for a few years before, but at that moment, I was taken to a totally new level, I became more serious as I strived to become a musician capable of accomplishing something similar to Opeth. Eventually it led me to the underlying genius of Extol and the sheer power of Wintersun, among many other great bands. But I have Opeth to thank for my change for the better.

Going to Finland to see Waters of Pink floyd when I was 15. And actually taking some of my parents money to book the ticket without telling them in advance. Maaaaad kid. Still the biggest venue Ive been to to date. I also remember nearly crying during one of the songs. =)

Would have to be when I first heard blackwater park. Back in 2002 while at school eating my lunch, a mate of mine pulled out his cd player. He has a fair amount of music due to the number of copied cd's he has(bastard). Anyway, he told me to give this band opeth a listen, saying I might enjoy it. Upon listening to the first minute or so of the leper affinity, i felt slightly confused. You see my friend wasn't a fan of many metal genres let alone death metal. He was more a sort of mainstream rock and Nu metal fan. ie. linkin park, korn- :(

As you can imagine, the impression I got of the music I was about to be exposed to would be some sort of rap infused metal. I asked him, "Where did you get this from dude, this sounds excellent. Also, may I ask, why "do" you have it? I mean you hate death metal!?" He simply replied, "If you skip a few tracks to number 4 you will come across some clean vocals, it sounds pretty cool".

So I got back to listening to track 01, thinking to myself that the track would surely be over soon and i'd skip straight to number 04. However as you all well know this track isn't of average length, it being over 10 mins. When it finally came to a close i skipped over to track 04, and gave it a listen. As my mate had promised, the song did indeed have clean vocals. So I listened to the entire track, with a feeling inside that had never been present before while listening to music. Soon after the bell rang and I headed off to class...

Due to this one school lunchtime, I have taken a greater interest in many musical genres. I was originally just a metal kid that listened to maiden/slayer, pantera/priest, morbid angel etc. But since that day I have been exposed to more and more diverse music which has truly changed my life. The music from blackwater park was such an epic listen for me that day, for it allowed me to appreciate lengthy songs, melody and beauty infused with morbid brutality.