Does Opeth, in some way, fit your definition of musical genious?

Do you consider Opeth musical geniouses?

• Yes

Votes: 65 86.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 13.3%

• Total voters
Opeth makes the best music I have ever heard. No other band (in any genre) has provoked such a responce out of me, and I really love music. They have surpassed a level of musicianship that very few people ever have.

Cheers Opeth!

Optic said:
Here's how I see the "genius" question:

I probably couldn't write a song as good (and certainly not as complex) as the songs Mikael writes, but it's not such a stretch to imagine how you could sit down with a guitar and craft a chord progression, a song structure, a vocal melody etc. in the way he does.

When I listen to the best music by Captain Beefheart, say, or Brian Wilson, I just cannot see where it comes from... what "rules" they were following, how they knew where to start, how they thought this or that sound/structure could possibly work. To me, THAT'S genius.

Yes, the aforementioned artists' are indeed genius'. Trout Mask Replica and Pet Sounds (also Smile) are incredible works of art.

annt said:
I can't understand how someone can say Mike isn't a musical genius but Bob Dylan is. Well, I guess it's a matter of opinion... but still, wtf?

Has to do with the translation of a feeling through music. Opeth used to have it, (or at least they were more interested in more powerful feelings) but now i feel their music is just exercises in blah blah, good music, but ultimately unmoving. Bob Dylan could do simple things and make people feel it.

As far as "genius" is concerned, the only metal bands/releases I could mention would be Mayhem's DMDS, Beherit's Drawing Down the Moon and Weakling's Dead as Dreams.

You can add:

Borknagar - The Olden Domain
Burzum - Det Som En Gang Var & Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires Circumspice
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Enslaved - Frost & Eld
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Negura Bunget - Inaborat Kosmos (EP)
Ulver - Bergtatt
Vintersorg - Till Tjalls

First of all...the amount of "GENIUS"es here who cant even spell the word "GENIUS" correctly is staggering to say the least.

Second of all....Opeth isnt genius, theyre just the best at what they do...which is progressive metal. Anyone calling them "genius" needs to go read what the defenition of the word means again, then think really hard about your answer. If you still think Opeth is defined by that word...then you REALLY need to expose yourself to more music...and that doesnt mean listen to diabolical masquerade and emperor 300 more times.

in other words...wake up.

Okay, Det Som Engang Var and Si Monumentum come FAIRLY close, and do almost certainly sit within my favourite albums of all time, however it takes a certain something to be "genius", and I don't find either of those albums to possess it.

Edit: NFU = da man.

I agree with NineFeetUnderground, although he misspelt "definition" ;)

IMO Opeth may well be the best metal band, but real genius....I think that's another level

I most certainly do! I doscoverd them by chance - I went to the CD store to look for something different than the everyday crap I was listening to, and I looked in metal. I bought Blackwater Park because there was a review sticker on the CD saying that Opeth was the most "Innovative, Inventive, etc. band in metal today. That CD changed my life. I was instantly hooked !

I say they are definitely geniuses - I find listening to their music almost religious - I recently had a 6 hour drive in which I listened to Ghost Reveries non-stop (loudly too) - It almost became like an outer-body experiences it was so intense. My throat was raw when I finally got out of the car.

GH

NineFeetUnderground said:
First of all...the amount of "GENIUS"es here who cant even spell the word "GENIUS" correctly is staggering to say the least.

You do understand that some of us don't speak English as our native language? But anyway, thanks for the correction.

Second of all....Opeth isnt genius, theyre just the best at what they do...which is progressive metal. Anyone calling them "genius" needs to go read what the defenition of the word means again, then think really hard about your answer. If you still think Opeth is defined by that word...then you REALLY need to expose yourself to more music...and that doesnt mean listen to diabolical masquerade and emperor 300 more times.

I am guessing you are one of those people who think they have superior music tastes just because they know lots of bands?
I've heard alot of new stuff since falling in love with Opeth, and my musical tastes have progressed hugely since beginning listening to them, but if Opeth aren't genius then I don't think anyone is. Obviously it is always down to personal opinion, as I consider many of the other "geniuses" mentioned pretty crap in comparison.

:lol:

Classical music is so overrated. It's in fact really dull and repetitive.
IMO Mikael is more genius than any of those classical composers.

This is clearly a matter of one's opinion. The fact is to state a piece of art (music, paintings, etc...) is genius is a completely objective progress. This being said I feel that with some of the crap that is made today Opeth would classify as modern day genius'. However, this being said they are not genius in the way that Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, or some classical composers (Mozart, Beethoven, Wagner and others...) are genius. I'm not sure that any of this makes sense and I am kind of repeating some ideas that have already been stated but I felt the need to say something.

:lol: NFU bitching about the spelling of "GENIUS" while erring in the spelling of "definition"

Welcome to the internet, NFU, where things are often not spelled correctly. This phenomenon is, upon rare occasions, observable in real life also! Some of my professors can't spell for shit, and their grammar and sentence structure are comparable to that of your average 9th grader, but their breadth of knowledge and ingenuity of ideas is probably a fair bit closer to genius than anything that's come of your mind.

Demilich said:
:lol: NFU bitching about the spelling of "GENIUS" while erring in the spelling of "definition"

Welcome to the internet, NFU, where things are often not spelled correctly. This phenomenon is, upon rare occasions, observable in real life also! Some of my professors can't spell for shit, and their grammar and sentence structure are comparable to that of your average 9th grader, but their breadth of knowledge and ingenuity of ideas is probably a fair bit closer to genius than anything that's come of your mind.

mine was a typo simply for it being 4 a.m. when i wrote it, on top of just typing too fast. if i had spelled it "genious" i definitely would have caught it.

and i sure hope that your proffessors with degrees and master's in teaching have more "genius" things come from them than me...otherwise thats a fairly wasted education dipshit. :tickled: