How has your musical taste matured?

when i was about 12-14 i would listen to industrial stuff mainly.. and some nu-metal, before it was labled nu-metal, like the old slipknot/disturbed albums..
now i'm into more melodic death stuff but i like a wide range, i like old school stuff like iron maiden and motley crue too... bands like that you never stop liking

speed said:
Does everyone find that they have matured in their musical tastes since listening to underground metal( i. e . one is listening to better and more diverse music than in the past)?

Have you started liking different styles of music( metal and non-metal related), that in the past you couldnt stand?

I'd say my tastes have expanded rather than changed. I used to like mainly old-school heavy metal, glam-pop-rock (The Sweet, Gary Glitter, Slade) and electronic rave stuff, and now I also listen to classical, folk, artnoise and all that other newly-cliched Intellectual Metalhead crap. So now my tastes stretch from the Cheeky Girls to Schoenberg to Poison to Burzum.

Most definitely. Obviously, when I first got into metal my tastes rapidly expanded and developed. Now it's slowed down. Then again, two months ago I couldn't stand proper death metal, now I love it. I'll probably be an elitist prick saying that everything is 'true' by the time I'm 15.

epi5ode666 said:
when i was about 12-14 i would listen to industrial stuff mainly.. and some nu-metal, before it was labled nu-metal, like the old slipknot/disturbed albums..
now i'm into more melodic death stuff but i like a wide range, i like old school stuff like iron maiden and motley crue too... bands like that you never stop liking
Slipknot/Disturbed... old? those words don't fit in one sentence. Whatever was here over 20 years ago is old. Slipknot and especially Disturbed is still new and, still 'nu-metal.' Disturbed likes to 'ride the C' as guitarists say. They like to use monotonous and repetitive strumming of the dropped tuning, open power chord. I'm 15, but my brother was born like when Metallica was cool, back in the Master of Puppets dayz... Bands like Ozzy Osbourne, Iron Maiden, and Slayer are old. Granted, they;re all still around now, but that was old.

Also, I used to listen to Orgy a little bit :/
haha man am I glad I don't

Let's see, when I was 8? Which was when my sister was 11, she was heavily into bubblegum pop(Backstreet boys kinda thing, oh please shoot me) and I kinda followed her. After that my sister got into alternative rock like Radiohead, Blur, Suede etc. I also followed her, by the time I was 12, I started listening to my own music which was well, basically shithouse Limp Bizkit, Slipknot(I'll admit though, they aren't THAT bad as much as most of you hate them because they're labelled nu-metal), I remember me being fully into Limp Bizkit(another chance to shoot me lol). I picked up guitar when I was 13, started listening to Metallica and got into the whole crazy guitar things, being into shred before jumping onto the underground metal wagon. I started out with Inflames, CHildren of Bodom, Opeth, Dark Tranquility, etc etc etc... Now I still listen to Inflames etc but I'm more into all type of styles of music and I'm looking into more interesting pieces and bands for the metal genre. Now my favourite band is Cynic, all over again.

lets see as far back as i know i got into music around 11, with that Orgy band and then i got into rock crap, like blur, presidents of the usa, soundgarden, then i got into kiss,ozzy, metallica, then that shit slipknot and system of a down and most of all deftones, but at the same time i discovered slayer and iced earth and well i left nu-metal behind and look where i am now

my music tastes basically expanded. When I was 10 I got my first Cd for my BD- Megadeth- rust in peace and it kinda went downhill from there. Now, 10 years later that cd is still in rotation along with the likes of Grand Belials Key and Possessed... just mentioning whats in my player right now.

Actually, within maybe the last four or five months my tastes have expanded and I’m really liking it. I first started with my musical tastes in to pop and alt. rock music. My tastes remained stagnant for a while. When I got into high school I befriended some people and they got me into metal via bands like Opeth, In Flames, and Amorphis. Now, my metal tastes encompass all different types of metal. The strange thing is I haven’t been listening to a whole lot of metal lately. In fact, my tastes are so rapidly changing, that I’m having a hard time listening to a lot of metal. I’m really getting into electronic stuff like newer Ulver (which I’d like to find more bands that are like them). I’m also really getting into dark ambient stuff like Raison D^etre and Sephiroth (it really sets a mood for a rain storm). I’m also getting into Folk-Noir (or apocalyptic folk, whatever) like Sol Invictus and Death in June. I’m even really getting into Nick Drake.

I don’t know what this means now to metal for me. I still love it and I don’t think I’ll ever stop listening to it, but I’m listening to it far less lately, so I’m not sure where my musical tastes (and metal) will end up.

Up until about a year ago I listened to nu metal/alternative. Now I listen to real metal like Metallica, Iron Miaden, Morbid Angel, In Flames, Soilwork, Children of Bodom, Opeth, At The Gates, ect.