when bands dont pay

garry666

Oct 17, 2007
So i recorded a quick demo for this band and they say that their happy with it and im only charging them $300 bucks. Payment was due on the 23rd an still nothing ive called them emailed them ive even called their parents yet still no cash, what would you guys do. Im currently filling out a small claims form to take them to court but fuck its only $300.

Small clams you have to have a sheriff serve them papers which is $250 in Ok. So I dont know if it would be worth your time. Hard lessen to learn. I dont burn anything unless they pay.

Sometimes, the thread of suing alone works wonders in many cases... Yeah, it's always problematic if it's just such a small amount. I hope you have a written contract!

So i recorded a quick demo for this band and they say that their happy with it and im only charging them $300 bucks. Payment was due on the 23rd an still nothing ive called them emailed them ive even called their parents yet still no cash, what would you guys do. Im currently filling out a small claims form to take them to court but fuck its only $300.

I know we can go on about contracts etc. but I know a lot of small/home studio owners don't use this practice. But always insist on a deposit.
If they fail to pay for the finished product we'd really appreciate the tracks for mixing practice, since they didn't pay for them - they don't own them! :D

I'm think I'll start charging different rates: one for prepaid service and another that's around 50% higher.

If people already knows your works..you can ask half the price before you start working.
If it's one of your first works, don't give the demo before the payment.
Unfortunatelly people doesn't like to pay, in every work. My dad has 200.000€ out, because people doesn't pay, or they pay after 1 or 2 years. The problem here in Italy is that you pay taxes on your invoices and not on the payments you've received...so if you have invoices for 10 and people doesn't pay you, you pay taxes for 10 but you can also receive 2 or 3 :) And moreover, if you have invoices for 10 this year, next year you'll pay taxes for, at least, 10...also if you will work less. Great town

VXWAdult%20Baseball%20Bat.jpg

:saint:

like the guy said about the raw trax but id go further. move the files around so the guitarist and bassist are slightly off sync with the drummer. edit the songs so they stop in places to sound like mistakes and autotune all the vocals out of tune and make a myspace of the tunes with very bad production. delete the guitar solos and record some with the songs that are bad.add some rap samples here and there in the background like it was intended to be in that place. list all the songs with ghey sexual parody names of the real songs. but obviously no trace of your name anywhere.thats worth 300 bux just for the laugh everytime you need one.

$250 to serve papers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where are you from? In Wisconsin it costs $68 dollars. if you win you get the $68 dollars back. Only thing is you have to provide the address that the subpoena is going to. Like in my case 7 years ago I had a roommate who did not pay me back rent. Can't take him to court cause I don't know where he lives.

edit. Small claims that is. divorce and such is entirely different.

like the guy said about the raw trax but id go further. move the files around so the guitarist and bassist are slightly off sync with the drummer. edit the songs so they stop in places to sound like mistakes and autotune all the vocals out of tune and make a myspace of the tunes with very bad production. delete the guitar solos and record some with the songs that are bad.add some rap samples here and there in the background like it was intended to be in that place. list all the songs with ghey sexual parody names of the real songs. but obviously no trace of your name anywhere.thats worth 300 bux just for the laugh everytime you need one.

And, go figure, the songs take off like crazy and you get a million show requests and a label offer... :erk: