When did you stop believing in god?

Not read a lot of the previous posts but I am a believer and follower but I pretty much lead by example more than ever shoving down people's throats. I work with tons of very rough bands and I like it that way. I don't shove anything I think down their throat, religious or not, but lead by example...my team never drink, cuss up a storm, or talk about things we shouldn't, though sometimes we like the occasional dirty joke hehe, we are married after all! That's also more a good business practice than it is religious conviction anyway. But alas, myself and my team are non denominational and believe what we study, not what we're told by some dude. I'm also noticing a whole lot of people who were part of the Catholic church or Mormonism ect. In my upbringing, we don't really call those "Christian", but a cult following. And I can definitely see why so many of you hate the idea now because of it. Heck, I can tell why many of you hate "us" so much period...95% of us are complete idiots who treat people like garbage and apparently believe whatever they're told. While I may not participate in this thread beyond this post, I will say I can't blame any of you for not following any form of religious ways, but at least you can know I'll be cool with you all and not condemn you all to HELLZ! I'd rather be known for the Nashville Series Samples anyway! ;)

I don't know, have you read youtube comments on that kind of matter? Reddit, facebook, etc? Even some posts in this thread.

The pope and the church can go fuck themselves. They make everyone who believe in god just for the fact of believing in god look bad, seriously. You don't need an organized religion to believe in any form of god.

I wouldn't go that far. Pre-Vatican II, sure. But Pope John Paul II played a significant role in fomenting unrest in Poland and speeding up the dissolution of the Soviet bloc by advocating for human dignity, and for that I give him a lot of credit. Likewise, the church in Latin America has often (though not always!) been important in pushing governments to respect basic human rights. These are important things, and Popes can do a lot in that regard. The Vatican itself is moribund, bloated, and showered in wealth, but I think that's mostly because of things the church did in the past and isn't a conscious choice per se.

So instead of actually asking me why I said feminists are irrational, you attack me with your Americanized "bite me" phrase? You've proved my point.

Eh? I was trying to be light hearted about it, I didn't mean it as a serious attack.

Basically I found your statements to be completely without merit, but I was trying to be polite about it. Everything you said was just wrong, and demonstrated a rather fundamental lack of understanding of the difference between emotion and logical thinking/deductive skills.

At least Genius Gone Insane makes that distinction!

Perhaps it's expressed myself badly, i'll try again later when I have some time.

Thank you, but I have to ask, as I always find interesting things in peoples thoughts and posts, if not free will, what? - does that imply you believe in things like luck/bad luck and fate? Really? From what I thought I knew about you, would have guessed otherwise.

No, none of that luck and fate stuff. I guess it would depend on how we/you define free will. Philosophers have been debating free will for a long time.

Anyways, I'm not sure where I stand yet so I couldn't explain myself yet. It's something I think on from time to time. For example, things that are beyond your control vs having a choice. Do we still have "free will"? Is taking quick action, perhaps instinctually, a form of "free will"? Did you really choose?

This issue boggles my mind. Then again, I'm no Philosopher.

I'm lazy to read whole thread so my answer to OP - I was born as atheist. You know when your country has been occupied many times and last one was farming atheism... it's just natural to be atheist.

No, none of that luck and fate stuff. I guess it would depend on how we/you define free will. Philosophers have been debating free will for a long time.

Anyways, I'm not sure where I stand yet so I couldn't explain myself yet. It's something I think on from time to time. For example, things that are beyond your control vs having a choice. Do we still have "free will"? Is taking quick action, perhaps instinctually, a form of "free will"? Did you really choose?

This issue boggles my mind. Then again, I'm no Philosopher.

Well, if things are boyond your control then it's your choice if you want it to bother you or not I'd say. That way you can fiddle the free will in there

Never did. parents never went to church whilst ive been alive. the only times i have been to churches have been for funerals/weddings/a few other random things. so it was never forced upon me. although in primary school there was an R.E. period once a week (I think).

I have been very logical my whole life. as soon as i was introduced to religion in the first few years of my life, i thought to myself

"lol, no. there is no proof of any of this apart from a book that could have been written/changed by ANYBODY, it's so fucking hard to believe any of it, and you all look like fucking IDIOTS."

fuck, even the tooth fairy/easter bunny/santa are way easier to believe, and i believed in them for a few years..

Well, if things are boyond your control then it's your choice if you want it to bother you or not I'd say. That way you can fiddle the free will in there

The bolded section above gets back to the quote I had in a previous post by Dr. Viktor Frankl:

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing; the last of the human freedoms - to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way"

Basically he was saying that however horrible the situation you find yourself in - you control your reaction. To me that is the basis for free will, and perhaps the only thing completely within ones control.

I can see basing moral codes off Jesus (The Jefferson Bible rules), but Muhammad was a mass-murdering pedophile.

muhammad_cartoon.jpg

Time to move in with a left cross over a swift right, I've seen the light and I'm weighing in unorthodox in this trite fight,
I'll admit it I'm obnoxious, I drank all the communion red, I'm no good at being led, gotta exercise some demons in my head,
And I'm coming in to split heads like loaves of bread and when I'm done I'll put this thread to bed like the vicars wife, 'nuff said,
Sure your boy JC can turn water into wine and not me but I'm too busy making urine out of hennessy and lyrical genius out of christianity whilst I slam islam, feel me?
And I'm positive I'll go to hell for my beliefs, but you better stay in your seat Mashreef, I'm sick of spitting bars at people whose comebacks are pulling teeth,
I got more conquests than Soloman but I ain't got no sorrow man, I'll cut your arguments in half like theres no tomorrow son,
But that's it, I'm not spent, just had enough talking bout myself like Clark Kent,
Time to lead the people through the desert of your own common sense, I'm not saying your dense but we've got to drop at least a bit of the pretense,
On that point there's not a lot to unravel, suppose I must have missed the part in the Koran where Mohammed talks air travel,
And I'd like to remind you I'm not questioning your belief, but I'd rather set my own moral compass than buy the centuries old lies of a horse lord thief,
Damn religion, it isn't the apple of my eye, I'd rather find the god in myself by getting high, so let ye without sin cast the first stone and from each and every rock I'll build my throne. Peace.

"Religions are like penises, it's nice to have one but please don't go waving it in our faces or sticking it down our children's throats"

i know you guys are trying to have a serious discussion here, but this^^ just made me laugh my freaking ass off