when do we all think new record will be out?

I don't see the point of putting out an album when they make zero money. Touring is how they earn a living and I don't see live shows happening again for years, just like sports.

Of course they make money of albums. It may not be their main source of income but the label pays them for the album, and any money has to be better than sitting back and living off past songs. Gigs are already starting around the world, it might still be months before large festivals happen but how stupid would a band be to spend 12 months doing shitty isolation covers only to come out the other side with no new music and the same tired set they've been playing for 5 years. Bands need to step up and offer fans something not hide in the corner and hope the fans will still be there when they start working again. Megadeth, Exodus, Heathen, Sodom, even Metallica, (if Kirk doesn't lose his phone) are working on new stuff and already this year we've had Power Trip, Testament, Havok, and Warbringer release some killer thrash. If Anthrax don't get off their arses and take advantage of this lockdown with the new album they've been promising for at least three years they have not just wasted an opportunity like they'll hopefully never get again but they'll have proven they aren't a top tier metal band.

They are nothing if not consistent. Consistently slow at recording, consistently not growing as a band, consistently playing the same tired set, consistently a mid set festival band, consistently talking shit in the media, consistently relying on 30 year old songs to keep them going and consistently finding anything else to do other than write us the album they promised was partially written 3 years ago.

Reactions: johnnieCzech
it is frustrating but something I've grown to except i really hope we get a record early next year but covid makes this an even longer wait most likely.

Why should it? Plenty of other bands aren't letting covid stop them. Three months ago they were talking up the writing process, just like they were three years ago. In fact the same two 'aggressive' songs they had written three years ago was still two aggressive songs three months ago. Seems like Anthrax, or more likely Scott and Charlie, are finding anything to do but Anthrax.

Of course they make money of albums. It may not be their main source of income but the label pays them for the album, and any money has to be better than sitting back and living off past songs. Gigs are already starting around the world, it might still be months before large festivals happen but how stupid would a band be to spend 12 months doing shitty isolation covers only to come out the other side with no new music and the same tired set they've been playing for 5 years. Bands need to step up and offer fans something not hide in the corner and hope the fans will still be there when they start working again. Megadeth, Exodus, Heathen, Sodom, even Metallica, (if Kirk doesn't lose his phone) are working on new stuff and already this year we've had Power Trip, Testament, Havok, and Warbringer release some killer thrash. If Anthrax don't get off their arses and take advantage of this lockdown with the new album they've been promising for at least three years they have not just wasted an opportunity like they'll hopefully never get again but they'll have proven they aren't a top tier metal band.
From my understanding, at least the way it was back in the day is that the record label fronts the money for recording to the studio then the band pays them back from touring and merch profits. I'm sure recording is much cheaper now with everything digital but with no touring allowed how will they repay it? Recording an album would be like going in debt for a very long time. There will be no live performances for a long long time so I imagine all metal musicians are looking at day jobs now. Trivium for example, just released an AMAZING record. Can't tour, everyone downloaded it or streamed it for free. How long before they look at indeed.com for jobs?

There is no doubt that if a label puts up the money they want it back and they want it back with interest, just like a bank. But the label doesn't offer "X" and expect "Y" to come from sales and "Z" to come from touring/merch/whatever else to make up the shortfall. They expect it all to come from the product they bought, the album. Just like they would expect the outlay for merch, to be paid back by the merch and the tour to pay for itself. Like any business when one end is short you make up the difference, but the label isn't putting out an album today and hoping the tour pays it off, because there are times when it wont.

Recording might be a 6-8 month process, parts can be recorded separately or as a band, they can even be done remotely. Add a couple of months for mastering and engineering, a few months for the legals and the other such stuff. So in most cases the label outlays the money for the product they want to own 12-18 months in advance. Sure the time is not perfect for touring, but it's perfect for recording. There might be doom and gloom all around the world at the moment but sensible people, sensible countries and sensible organisers are working on how to get music back to the people. Being a band that wont ever sell out arenas but could sell smaller venues (if they get out of the middle tier 40min festival band idea) Anthrax are in a prime spot to take advantage of countries opening up in the next 6-12 months. But if they sit on their hands too much longer they'll have nothing new to offer an audience.

Reactions: sufferer and redfly
Why should it? Plenty of other bands aren't letting covid stop them. Three months ago they were talking up the writing process, just like they were three years ago. In fact the same two 'aggressive' songs they had written three years ago was still two aggressive songs three months ago. Seems like Anthrax, or more likely Scott and Charlie, are finding anything to do but Anthrax.
they are definately working on it,just a fact that its going to take a long time now

The same two songs from three years ago is working on it? Thank fuck all bands don't have the same work ethic!

Reactions: redfly
Agree, it's been the same story for a few years now. Just the same talk of a few new songs over and over. Yet people have time for all sorts of side projects.

Reactions: Slammed
Agree, it's been the same story for a few years now. Just the same talk of a few new songs over and over. Yet people have time for all sorts of side projects.

Yeah lets not embarrass Charlie and remind him that he did something with/about/close to Billie Elish :) , lets focus on the fact that with all the things him and Scott have done they still haven't even given us a snippet of the two aggressive tracks they wrote 3 years ago but they've spoken about them. The Posehn album was the closest either of them have come to original metal in years.

I'm just so gad Testament did go ahead and put theirs out. It's a great album that keeps growing on me.

And they have sold albums, songs, whatever from it because they have made the charts in all sorts of places. FFS they made the top 30 in Australia at a time when bands supposedly can't sell music? Australian charts are some of the worst in the world for anything but mainstream metal rating high and Testament got top 30.

Edit: Holy shit I just looked at Kings and it got to 12 on the charts in Oz in the same year that Megadeth's Dystopia (#6), Testament's Brotherhood (#24), Suicidal Angels, Death Angel, and Exmortus all came out. The metal sales in this country are but a fraction of most other places in the world and Anthrax still managed to top all but Megadeth. I doubt they'll get to 12 again unless they release an absolute killer of a record, but what a missed opportunity if they don't take advantage of this time where people have got nothing else but albums to spend money on.

Last edited:
I prefer their early consistency of 1-2 years :)
now that would be great but just not feasible,especially with the touring that they do, they literally tour for 2 years each album cycle,im not arguing with you my original point was the length between albums has been quite long for quite a while now, its not ideal but we know to expect it