when do we all think new record will be out?

And they have sold albums, songs, whatever from it because they have made the charts in all sorts of places. FFS they made the top 30 in Australia at a time when bands supposedly can't sell music? Australian charts are some of the worst in the world for anything but mainstream metal rating high and Testament got top 30.

Edit: Holy shit I just looked at Kings and it got to 12 on the charts in Oz in the same year that Megadeth's Dystopia (#6), Testament's Brotherhood (#24), Suicidal Angels, Death Angel, and Exmortus all came out. The metal sales in this country are but a fraction of most other places in the world and Anthrax still managed to top all but Megadeth. I doubt they'll get to 12 again unless they release an absolute killer of a record, but what a missed opportunity if they don't take advantage of this time where people have got nothing else but albums to spend money on.

the last album was there highest selling album in the usa in a long time, even though it got leaked nearly 3 months early,i know in jb it was around 6 on the chart dont know how accurate that would be.

Reactions: redfly
Then why the hell would they not use this down time to capitalise on that success? Even if they started now the album will not be out before many countries start opening up and moving towards gigs. It might be an acceptable (to some) 5 years between albums now but If they don't get off their arses and start this new album it will soon be 6 or 7 years between albums. Throw in the chance to do a few boring festivals with barely any real metal acts on the gig and it could easily be 8 years. Through their own actions they are becoming a nostalgia act. Although that is fairly evident from the fact they still want to cling to that stupid I'm The Man song after all these years.

And they have sold albums, songs, whatever from it because they have made the charts in all sorts of places. FFS they made the top 30 in Australia at a time when bands supposedly can't sell music? Australian charts are some of the worst in the world for anything but mainstream metal rating high and Testament got top 30.

Edit: Holy shit I just looked at Kings and it got to 12 on the charts in Oz in the same year that Megadeth's Dystopia (#6), Testament's Brotherhood (#24), Suicidal Angels, Death Angel, and Exmortus all came out. The metal sales in this country are but a fraction of most other places in the world and Anthrax still managed to top all but Megadeth. I doubt they'll get to 12 again unless they release an absolute killer of a record, but what a missed opportunity if they don't take advantage of this time where people have got nothing else but albums to spend money on.
Wow that's pretty impressive. But it does feel like they are losing momentum a little. I hope they do that good or better next time.

Reactions: Slammed
Then why the hell would they not use this down time to capitalise on that success? Even if they started now the album will not be out before many countries start opening up and moving towards gigs. It might be an acceptable (to some) 5 years between albums now but If they don't get off their arses and start this new album it will soon be 6 or 7 years between albums. Throw in the chance to do a few boring festivals with barely any real metal acts on the gig and it could easily be 8 years. Through their own actions they are becoming a nostalgia act. Although that is fairly evident from the fact they still want to cling to that stupid I'm The Man song after all these years.
They clearly didn't take into consideration that shit happens. They thought they had all the time in the world to coast on Kings. Side projects, alcohol. Joey had time to book a big tour,( although it was probably cancelled), and hanging with girlfriends (Charlie) Now look. It's going to be even longer with momentum and money lost.

now that would be great but just not feasible,especially with the touring that they do, they literally tour for 2 years each album cycle,im not arguing with you my original point was the length between albums has been quite long for quite a while now, its not ideal but we know to expect it
But that's pretty much how they always did it back in the day. All the bands did. They wrote, went right out on tour. Wrote and right out on tour. I don't think they do more touring than back in the day. Even though the money from touring is more important than ever.

Wow that's pretty impressive. But it does feel like they are losing momentum a little. I hope they do that good or better next time.

TBH, and I know the die hards wont like this, but Anthrax are not that popular in this country, it's increased from a really low point since Kings but it started the moment when they dumped Joey.

Anthrax were the first big thrash band booked to tour Oz in the 80's (87 I think it was), they had massive momentum and the concert in a 4000 capacity venue (Melbourne) would have sold out, but something fell through and they cancelled. (side note: Megadeth are the only thrash band to sell out that venue with 4200 tickets sold and people turned away. What a fucking night that was! Even the Seps riot which we worked at didn't have that many people inside the venue, outside might have been different though). By the time Anthrax did get here for POT they'd lost some momentum because they were not the first, but what they lost did help them because Metallica and a few others opened the doors. So by the time Anthrax came here instead of playing the dingy little shit hole in the slums good for 4000 people they rode on the Big 4 mantra and actually played the entertainment centre good for about 8000. They didn't sell it out but they sold more than 6000 tickets. (They still played smaller venues in other cities). By 2000 when all thrash metal took a hit Anthrax just lost everything here, people didn't like SOWN (although I did) and they liked the follow ups even less.

From memory Anthrax hasn't done their own tour here since before 2000, they've been here for lacklustre performances at shitty festivals and done some side gigs from those festivals with other bands but they've done nothing solo because promoters aren't willing to back them on a headline gig.

They clearly didn't take into consideration that shit happens. They thought they had all the time in the world to coast on Kings. Side projects, alcohol. Joey had time to book a big tour,( although it was probably cancelled), and hanging with girlfriends (Charlie) Now look. It's going to be even longer with momentum and money lost.

Joey does seem to be keeping busy, as does Frankie a bit, although I don't know what he's doing since Jnr is in the studio and they weren't touring Attitudes. I'm not a huge Journey fan but Joey should tour his solo stuff after he left Anthrax, it's what Anthrax should have recorded after POT. SOWN should have been a side project. :)

TBH, and I know the die hards wont like this, but Anthrax are not that popular in this country, it's increased from a really low point since Kings but it started the moment when they dumped Joey.

Anthrax were the first big thrash band booked to tour Oz in the 80's (87 I think it was), they had massive momentum and the concert in a 4000 capacity venue (Melbourne) would have sold out, but something fell through and they cancelled. (side note: Megadeth are the only thrash band to sell out that venue with 4200 tickets sold and people turned away. What a fucking night that was! Even the Seps riot which we worked at didn't have that many people inside the venue, outside might have been different though). By the time Anthrax did get here for POT they'd lost some momentum because they were not the first, but what they lost did help them because Metallica and a few others opened the doors. So by the time Anthrax came here instead of playing the dingy little shit hole in the slums good for 4000 people they rode on the Big 4 mantra and actually played the entertainment centre good for about 8000. They didn't sell it out but they sold more than 6000 tickets. (They still played smaller venues in other cities). By 2000 when all thrash metal took a hit Anthrax just lost everything here, people didn't like SOWN (although I did) and they liked the follow ups even less.

From memory Anthrax hasn't done their own tour here since before 2000, they've been here for lacklustre performances at shitty festivals and done some side gigs from those festivals with other bands but they've done nothing solo because promoters aren't willing to back them on a headline gig.
I'm not surprised by any of that I guess. And they really need to get away from the festival slots and do more of their own shows.

Joey does seem to be keeping busy, as does Frankie a bit, although I don't know what he's doing since Jnr is in the studio and they weren't touring Attitudes. I'm not a huge Journey fan but Joey should tour his solo stuff after he left Anthrax, it's what Anthrax should have recorded after POT. SOWN should have been a side project. :)
That would be great if Joey did that. I guess it would also be fitting if Anthrax had to cover a couple of Joey's solo songs! :p;):saint:

I'm not surprised by any of that I guess. And they really need to get away from the festival slots and do more of their own shows.

For sure. I know Oz/NZ isn't the easiest place to fit into a tour given that in the time it takes to play 8 gigs a band could play twice as many in Europe or America but that doesn't mean there is not profit to be made. Pre-covid there had never been more metal bands touring this country yet bands like Anthrax seemed only content to sign on for festivals. Bands like Overkill, Obituary, even Dark Angel hit the smaller venues (which Anthrax would sell out), sold a shitload of merch and gave their fans proper shows.

Unless Anthrax can get themselves up into the hour long sets, or longer, on these festival shows they are not doing themselves any favours. However they wont rise up the set lists on anything but those shitty little festivals where the bottom end is filled with mostly unknown bands.

That would be great if Joey did that. I guess it would also be fitting if Anthrax had to cover a couple of Joey's solo songs! :p;):saint:

Hehe, I could just imagine Joey bringing that up at the next band meeting! It would probably be followed by Charlie asking Scott if he still has John Bush's phone number :)

For sure. I know Oz/NZ isn't the easiest place to fit into a tour given that in the time it takes to play 8 gigs a band could play twice as many in Europe or America but that doesn't mean there is not profit to be made. Pre-covid there had never been more metal bands touring this country yet bands like Anthrax seemed only content to sign on for festivals. Bands like Overkill, Obituary, even Dark Angel hit the smaller venues (which Anthrax would sell out), sold a shitload of merch and gave their fans proper shows.

Unless Anthrax can get themselves up into the hour long sets, or longer, on these festival shows they are not doing themselves any favours. However they wont rise up the set lists on anything but those shitty little festivals where the bottom end is filled with mostly unknown bands.

at this stage of there career it would just be easier to play a festival, everything is organised for the bands so its too good to resist,you play to a shitload of people,Scott has openly said hypothetically he'd be happy to play big four shows the rest of his life, yes it hurts the really hardcore fans and its frustrating but there aint much we can do about it.

at this stage of there career it would just be easier to play a festival, everything is organised for the bands so its too good to resist,you play to a shitload of people,Scott has openly said hypothetically he'd be happy to play big four shows the rest of his life, yes it hurts the really hardcore fans and its frustrating but there aint much we can do about it.

Scott is lazy and it shows in the way he does everything. Playing only festivals is proof why we don't get albums regularly. Playing only festivals as been the downfall of the band and will continue to be. If he wants to play softer stuff good on him, but he's basically using Anthrax as a nostalgia act to fund doing the stuff that pays even less than Anthrax. And you're right we can't do anything about Scott and Charlie's laziness but that doesn't mean we have to support them blindly and reward them by praising everything to do get around to doing.

just explains the mentality, these guys are successful enough, there headline shows were always packed in Australia and growing but the bottom line is its alot of work for the band to come here for a handful of gigs and make it worth there while.

They take the easy road by only agreeing to do festivals where everything is organised for them. They choose to play gigs where a crowd is guaranteed because there is 40 other bands attracting the crowd, not them alone. They choose to play gigs where the fans they do have risk not seeing them because their 40 min set clashes with some other band on at the same time. They choose to do all this because they will not risk taking on the tour themselves. Multiple promoters have tried to secure Anthrax for headline gigs over the last decade, playing the same venues Overkill, Dark Angel, Obituary played but Anthrax refuse to play those smaller venues. At the end of the day it comes down the the promoter offering $X and Anthrax asking for $Y, but when the promoter knows he can't make $Y + profit there is no way he's going to agree to their asking price, so they negotiate things like smaller venues, more gigs etc etc. But whether one looks at it as Anthrax asking for too much or promoters being greedy at the end of the day Anthrax headlining gigs is not viable, yet bands they grew up with find the viability to show their fans they support them.

just explains the mentality, these guys are successful enough, there headline shows were always packed in Australia and growing but the bottom line is its alot of work for the band to come here for a handful of gigs and make it worth there while.
That's a terrible mentality. It just says. I love money more than creative output. Biggest buck for the least work. I get it. But it sucks.

I don't see why they can't book some headline shows when they come for a festival.

Scott is lazy and it shows in the way he does everything. Playing only festivals is proof why we don't get albums regularly. Playing only festivals as been the downfall of the band and will continue to be. If he wants to play softer stuff good on him, but he's basically using Anthrax as a nostalgia act to fund doing the stuff that pays even less than Anthrax. And you're right we can't do anything about Scott and Charlie's laziness but that doesn't mean we have to support them blindly and reward them by praising everything to do get around to doing.

They take the easy road by only agreeing to do festivals where everything is organised for them. They choose to play gigs where a crowd is guaranteed because there is 40 other bands attracting the crowd, not them alone. They choose to play gigs where the fans they do have risk not seeing them because their 40 min set clashes with some other band on at the same time. They choose to do all this because they will not risk taking on the tour themselves. Multiple promoters have tried to secure Anthrax for headline gigs over the last decade, playing the same venues Overkill, Dark Angel, Obituary played but Anthrax refuse to play those smaller venues. At the end of the day it comes down the the promoter offering $X and Anthrax asking for $Y, but when the promoter knows he can't make $Y + profit there is no way he's going to agree to their asking price, so they negotiate things like smaller venues, more gigs etc etc. But whether one looks at it as Anthrax asking for too much or promoters being greedy at the end of the day Anthrax headlining gigs is not viable, yet bands they grew up with find the viability to show their fans they support them.
You know. If Joey took Franky (I'd take Jon too) and got a really kick ass real band together. I'd be just as happy. Charlie and Scott can keep screwing around.

I reckon Anthrax would be the perfect band to take on the option of coming here to record and tour. It's an ambitious plan lead by LiveNation (unfortunately) but a few of other the promoters in talks aren't that bad. The idea is that with Australia opening up bands come here, spend two weeks in quarantine and record, then after that quarantine period they are free to tour. Obviously a few things need to happen here before it's an option for all bands but with Oz and NZ more than likely opening up earlier than so many other places it poses and interesting option.

Actually another interesting point that may arise in the Anthrax camp soon is the fall out from LiveNation and Scott's comments regarding them. I don't blame him for being pissed off at LiveNation, and he basically reveals his band is not ever aiming to be more than a mid tier festival band, but what is he going to do about LiveNation? Will he just voice his opinion on social media? Will he stand up for himself and other bands? Will he avoid LiveNation and therefore avoid something like 90% of worldwide festivals? By his own admission he doesn't seem to think they'll be a headliner at these festivals, so does he cut off his nose to spite his face and risk not playing the festivals they've relegated themselves too, or does he stand up, get of his arse and start working towards real tours?