when do we all think new record will be out?

Anthrax's laziness and lack of production has long since stopped being a frustration for me, to me they are little more than Metallica Jnr. I listen to them with hope they'll one day be good again but I know they are just plodding along to retirement.

Even if a cure is found touring the world will no longer be cheap and easy. We've seen the price increases laid out by the promotions industry and with one promotions company handling something like 97% of all festivals it's going to be near impossible to avoid those increases. There will be price increases at all the venues which will remain in place even after restrictions ease. There will be a massive increase in insurance premiums and fuel and all those important things fans don't care about but bands have to pay. Sure touring will come back but is not going to be as easy as it once was and it's not going to just come back full force because there is a demand for it.

Demand of the fans also isn't going to mean much if this shit goes on for much longer and so many people become unemployed with jobs that wont come back. In this country where tickets for big shows are $150+ (pre covid) it's going to be a lot harder to convince 10,000 people to turn up if they are unemployed. Even for 2000 capacity venues where bands like Overkill and Obituary, who do seem to care about their fans, play, tickets that were once $75-90 will increase while the capacity is 25%, but they wont go down when that goes to 50%, or to 100%. It's easy to say demand is high at the moment, lockdown created demand for just about everything outside the house, but one can't push today's demands onto an unknown future.

You're right 30 years is too much, it was 15 odd years ago when they realised they could write mediocre thrash and still get regular gigs handed to them on the festival circuit or as a support act that the started getting lazy.

Before the world ended how many shows were they averaging, every year for the last 30+ years? Probably hundreds every year, wouldn't call that lazy.

If I were in a band, no FUCKING way would I release an album without being able to support it. What a waste of all your hard work. Maybe for "artists" on the radio, but with this kind of music touring is the only way to promote. Plus touring and getting in front of the fans and giving them great performances is all part of the celebration of the release and is what bands crave. The album release and touring cycle together is what makes metal so passionate and loyal.

Good example, Trivium just released an epic album that they spent so much time pouring their heart into. Now they're sitting at home watching people download it, making pennies. If concerts ever happen again (which I don't think they ever will), no one will even remember the album. Fuck that.

Also, we've all been Anthrax fans for decades here. If asked what all of our fondest Anthrax memories are ever, I guarantee all of them would be "seeing them live on this tour with that band" or "meeting them at the meet n' greet on this tour" or "seeing them at this festival". None of our fondest memories would be "popping that new album in the CD player for the first time".

Before the world ended how many shows were they averaging, every year for the last 30+ years? Probably hundreds every year, wouldn't call that lazy.

If I were in a band, no FUCKING way would I release an album without being able to support it. What a waste of all your hard work. Maybe for "artists" on the radio, but with this kind of music touring is the only way to promote. Plus touring and getting in front of the fans and giving them great performances is all part of the celebration of the release and is what bands crave. The album release and touring cycle together is what makes metal so passionate and loyal.

Good example, Trivium just released an epic album that they spent so much time pouring their heart into. Now they're sitting at home watching people download it, making pennies. If concerts ever happen again (which I don't think they ever will), no one will even remember the album. Fuck that.

Well said, i get the frustration by people but as anthrax always do is keep on keeping on, as for concerts I see countries like Australia and New Zealand being one of the first to get the international artists back, fingers crossed for John 5 next march:)

Reactions: sufferer
Doing something repetitively doesn't resolve one of laziness. Many people drive to work 5 days a week, they drive the same route, the same time, the same effort, they fall into lazy habits where their brain works less and their efforts become less. Call it laziness, call it incompetence, it happens and it's exactly what Anthrax did.

They play festival gigs that are organised fully for them, they play second, third an fourth fiddle to bands that often don't even deserve to share a stage with them and they play basically the same, tired, set time and time again, with one or two new songs added when an album comes out. They are so lazy it took them something like 27 years to play NFL on stage, there is other songs they wont even hint at playing because their niche little 40 min sets don't allow for time to move out of the box they put themselves in. Anthrax could easily have lined themselves up 25th, 30th, whatever anniversary tours for their milestone albums to coincide with re-releases, headline tours with 90 minute sets playing full albums as many other bands have done, yet they chose to play festivals with 40 min sets of the same songs. If you want to look at laziness as just their inability to write and release a record in a time frame they claimed was achievable fine, but I prefer to look at the bigger picture.

Look at the shitty gig Anthrax have singed themselves up for next July. I'm sure some will claim the gig wont even go ahead and Anthrax are just signing to make sure they get a place or some such crap. But the Rock Fest line up is utter crap, Anthrax should not be third on the list to band/performers like Limp Bizkit and Snoop Dog, they shouldn't be on the list in the first place, they should be headlining their own gigs. If this was a one off maybe it could be excused as a sign of the times, but this is Anthrax's life, support act on a shitty festival list.

In a perfect world I’d love anthrax to do more headline tours but on the other side I’m happy that anthrax are playing to much bigger crowds than ever on a festival circuit.

Why? It's not like there is any evidence that the bigger crowds are creating a bigger fan base, especially not for the bands playing mid afternoon to early evening. If it was a metal festival maybe there would be some validity in such a thought, but when it's a Snoop dog concert Anthrax aren't leaving the show with a slew of new fans who suddenly want to buy all their albums. Anthrax is like any other band that played during the daylight hours, music to pass the time.

They need to get off the circuit, stop playing 40 min greatest hits shows, and stop taking the easy road, it's made them complacent, lazy and their live shows boring AF. They need to headline a tour, create a set of songs fans haven't heard live for years and get out amongst their own fans not Snoop Dog fans. Even if they release another mediocre album, a headline tour for the fans and not for themselves would see better album sales than a band who has stagnated mid career.

Joey does seem to be keeping busy, as does Frankie a bit, although I don't know what he's doing since Jnr is in the studio and they weren't touring Attitudes. I'm not a huge Journey fan but Joey should tour his solo stuff after he left Anthrax, it's what Anthrax should have recorded after POT. SOWN should have been a side project. :)

That would be great if Joey did that. I guess it would also be fitting if Anthrax had to cover a couple of Joey's solo songs! :p;):saint:

Hehe, I could just imagine Joey bringing that up at the next band meeting! It would probably be followed by Charlie asking Scott if he still has John Bush's phone number :)

If Anthrax can do covers of their side projects (i.e. Milk by SOD), I don't think them doing a Joey song or two would be too much to ask...

Last edited:
Reactions: Slammed
Do the whole album :)
Nah that would be unfair to Joey.
Joey's first album deserves more credit than that.

Reactions: ghoststrike
I am so on board with Scott on this one. Can't tour? No record. No way in hell I'd waste money and effort only to have your art thrown away and forgotten. Maybe back when people paid for music, but not now. No Way. By the way I just bought tickets to see Steel Panther here in St. Pete next month, they're saying temp checks at the door and wear a mask ,that's it. General admission venue and it will be packed. I guess concerts are back? I don't know but I'm going and it's gonna be great.

I am so on board with Scott on this one. Can't tour? No record. No way in hell I'd waste money and effort only to have your art thrown away and forgotten. Maybe back when people paid for music, but not now. No Way. By the way I just bought tickets to see Steel Panther here in St. Pete next month, they're saying temp checks at the door and wear a mask ,that's it. General admission venue and it will be packed. I guess concerts are back? I don't know but I'm going and it's gonna be great.

things are already happening in Australia for local acts but gnr just announced a stadium your for November next years think we will be one of the first countries to really get back to some normality,i cant wait!,we had a rugby league game last week in qld 50 thousand no restrictions