Where do I start with Emperor?

soundave

Oct 13, 2005
MA
So, I've only just begun to develop a taste for Black Metal, and I've been told time and again to check out Emperor. Is it best to start at the beginning? What's the best way to experience their catalogue?

in the Nightside Eclipse imo

also if you're getting into BM, you must, must check out "words that go unspoken deeds that go undone" by akercocke. killer album.

all_sins_undone said:
in the Nightside Eclipse imo

also if you're getting into BM, you must, must check out "words that go unspoken deeds that go undone" by akercocke. killer album.

Got the Akercocke and LOVE it. Thanks.

And I was speaking in the context of black metal. Emperor have good production in terms of black metal production. Ulver has bad production.

I don't know.....Bergtatt is, as far as I can tell, as much about the sound and imagery as the music. It doesn't have the epic dynamics that will blow a classical fan away, like Emperor does.

Nightside Eclipse and Welkins are probably what you're looking for. The later two albums were exceptional, but more incredible musicianship than songwriting IMO.

Get "The sham mirrors" by Arcturus, featuring Ihsahn on killer lead vocals on "The radical cut"...

Further Black Metal recomendations:
Marduk - Plague Angel
Moonsorrow - Verisakeet
Immortal - At the heart of winter
Dark Throne - A blaze in the northern sky
Negura Bunget - 'n crugu bradului

BRI said:
And I was speaking in the context of black metal. Emperor have good production in terms of black metal production. Ulver has bad production.
chainsaw sounding guitars are SO GRIM THOUGH! :erk:

Start with Nightside Eclipse, then go chronologically forward. If you still think Nightside Eclipse is the best, then go buy Wrath of the Tyrant.

BRI said:

That's why Emperor was recommended to me, actually. Good call BRI.

Talking Meat said:
I don't know.....Bergtatt is, as far as I can tell, as much about the sound and imagery as the music. It doesn't have the epic dynamics that will blow a classical fan away, like Emperor does.

Nightside Eclipse and Welkins are probably what you're looking for. The later two albums were exceptional, but more incredible musicianship than songwriting IMO.

Ah, yes. Insightful in knowing that I am a classical fan. Another reason, I believe, Emperor was recommended to me.

ok dave...listen to me very carefully...im going to get you started here on the right foot. im going to give you some names and albums of the best starting points for a handful of different "sounds" in the black metal genre. all of these are pretty uncompromised original black metal...no death metal hybrids or questionable sellout albums. its a solid, but eclectic and interesting foundation. some more accessible than others, but i strongly beleive each one of the following to be just as rewarding and important as the next. you know im not going to recommend anything bad to you. so here you are:

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Ulver - Bergtatt
Abigor - Nachthymnen
Weakling - Dead As Dreams
Summoning - Stronghold
Borknagar - Self Titled
Enslaved - Eld
Arcturus - Aspera Heims Symfonia
Shining - III

i think bergtatt has an amazing soundscape... it totally draws me in when i listen to it. i admit, i thought it sounded horrible when i first listened to it. it will make sense when you read the story and get into it though.

if you want more cross-over-kind of stuff, get diabolical masquarade's nightwork album.

Actually I would start with Prometheus if you went for Emperor, then go to Anthems and then Into The Nightside Eclipse. I think it's a bit daunting to start off with ITNE since it has such horrible production, while Prometheus is so crystal clean and accessible.