Where do I start with Emperor?

dcat said:
^ Mmmm, I was working for Radfords in the year of our Lords second coming, namely, "Michael Akerfeldt" 1974 :headbang:

Don't tell... :)

Year of my coming, too, actually. :)

NineFeetUnderground said:
ok dave...listen to me very carefully...im going to get you started here on the right foot. im going to give you some names and albums of the best starting points for a handful of different "sounds" in the black metal genre. all of these are pretty uncompromised original black metal...no death metal hybrids or questionable sellout albums. its a solid, but eclectic and interesting foundation. some more accessible than others, but i strongly beleive each one of the following to be just as rewarding and important as the next. you know im not going to recommend anything bad to you. so here you are:

Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Ulver - Bergtatt
Abigor - Nachthymnen
Weakling - Dead As Dreams
Summoning - Stronghold
Borknagar - Self Titled
Enslaved - Eld
Arcturus - Aspera Heims Symfonia
Shining - III

Excellent. Many thanks.

And thanks to all who've chimed in! Decisions, decisions...

hibernal_dream said:
The best starting point is not necessarily an artist's best work. He's only just getting into BM so recommending Nightside Eclipse is just silly.

Hmmm... I'm a pretty good listener, though, I think. I've listened to some demanding stuff in my time. Can you explain what you mean?

Well, you asked where "you should start" with Emperor, implying that you will start at one particular album, proceed through their entire discography and finish at another album. It would make sense to begin at the most accessible album and work your way to the most conceptually developed one (which is arguably Nightside), but I didn't know you were an experience listener so you should be fine. Sorry!