Where do I start with Emperor?

Talking Meat said:
I don't know.....Bergtatt is, as far as I can tell, as much about the sound and imagery as the music. It doesn't have the epic dynamics that will blow a classical fan away, like Emperor does.

Eh? Emperor, for the most part, is outright heavy. Bergtatt has far more variance in its dynamics than any Emperor disc. If you want dynamics taken to a level found in classical music, then listen to classical music.

As far as metal/classical crossover goes, can't go past Winds.

And besides, what black metal band isn't about imagery in some way? Even the "we don't have an image" image of bands like Falkenbach, heh.

Okay, anyway, maybe it's flogging a dead horse by now but I'd recommend Anthems as a good starting point.

hibernal_dream said:
Well, you asked where "you should start" with Emperor, implying that you will start at one particular album, proceed through their entire discography and finish at another album. It would make sense to begin at the most accessible album and work your way to the most conceptually developed one (which is arguably Nightside), but I didn't know you were an experience listener so you should be fine. Sorry!

Well, your first sentence is dead on what I plan to do. I guess I've been weighing exatly what you're saying: accessibility vs. experiencing them in chronological order. I will definitely consider what you've brought up.

illidurit said:
emperor has 4 albums, ffs just listen to them all, is it that big a deal which one you listen to first?

This is true. Let me put it this way, I'm working on a budget and Emperor is not my only grab this month. I also have some Popol Vuh that I've been eyeing.

illidurit said:
emperor has 4 albums, ffs just listen to them all, is it that big a deal which one you listen to first?

It has 5 studio albums, dumbass, plus a rarities compilation and a live album.

AshDLS said:
Eh? Emperor, for the most part, is outright heavy. Bergtatt has far more variance in its dynamics than any Emperor disc. If you want dynamics taken to a level found in classical music, then listen to classical music.

As far as metal/classical crossover goes, can't go past Winds.

And besides, what black metal band isn't about imagery in some way? Even the "we don't have an image" image of bands like Falkenbach, heh.

Okay, anyway, maybe it's flogging a dead horse by now but I'd recommend Anthems as a good starting point.

I think Talking Meat saw some of my posts in another thread and knows I enjoy "classical" (or was it just a guess?) I'm not really looking for a crossover, so to speak. Although that's always interesting.

Zephyrus said:
It has 5 studio albums, dumbass, plus a rarities compilation and a live album.

4 studio albums, 3 E.P's. Plus Live CD's, the stuff from Imperial Live Cermonoy, the compliation and some split CD's mostly with Thorns.

If, however you're counting Wrath of the Tyrants as a studio album then, I suppose you could get away with that, but really it's a just Emperor (a demo) with a some added tracks.

Bergtatt has far more variance in its dynamics than any Emperor disc.

Not really talking about dynamics strictly in terms of heavy/soft. There's more to it, shifting tempos, powerful chord changes, the way the song twists and turns.

Anyway, you guys were absolutely right, after relisten I was talking about Nattens with the poor production. Bergtatt's production is on par with early Opeth.

I think Talking Meat saw some of my posts in another thread and knows I enjoy "classical" (or was it just a guess?) I'm not really looking for a crossover, so to speak.

Nah, definitely saw you were a fan. Thing is, I think Ihsahn is a helluva songwriter, and if he was born 200 years ago definitely would have been an impressive composer. I've always compared his structures to classical stuff.

Alteredmindeath said:
Summoning hardly has anything to do with black metal, and Stronghold is one of the most repetitive crappy sounding albums I have ever heard.:Smug:

lol

Alteredmindeath said:
Summoning hardly has anything to do with black metal, and Stronghold is one of the most repetitive crappy sounding albums I have ever heard.:Smug:
0h 0k

Just got:

Emperor - Nightside, and Anthems
Abigor - Nachthymnen
Summoning - Stronghold

I'll give 'em a listen ASAP.

I'm going for the sampling a smattering approach, and going mostly chronologically w/ Emperor specifically (perhaps going back to WotT at some point).

What do you all think of Wolves in the Throne Room, btw? It's sort of what's made me want to get more into BM.

Zephyrus said:
Listen to Nightside Eclipse at night with no destractions for best effect.

Cool. I like most music best that way. Distractions are aplenty with a toddler running around.

soundave said:
What do you all think of Wolves in the Throne Room, btw? It's sort of what's made me want to get more into BM.

get weakling - dead as dreams

right now.

i'll send it to you if you want.

Any reccomendations in the Wolves of the Throne Room and Weakling sort of vein? I dig both bands and side projects quite a bit already.

Alteredmindeath said:
mindblowing

Alteredmindeath said:

wow I jus tlooked up "alteredmindeath" on webster .com here's what I got...

Main Entry: alteredmindeath
Pronunciation: 'fAl-y&r
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of earlier failer, from Anglo-French, from Old French faillir to fail
1 a : omission of occurrence or performance; specifically : a failing to perform a duty or expected action <failure to pay the rent on time> b (1) : a state of inability to perform a normal function <kidney failure> -- compare HEART FAILURE (2) : an abrupt cessation of normal functioning <a power failure> c : a fracturing or giving way under stress <structural failure>
2 a : lack of success b : a failing in business : BANKRUPTCY
3 a : a falling short : DEFICIENCY <a crop failure> b : DETERIORATION, DECAY
4 : one that has failed