Where To Go From Here?

Warning(UK) - completely nonessential and not a good introduction to metal
Death - especially if they don't want gore and blood, this is the worst band for someone to start with
Candlemass - not easily accessible for someone new to metal
Burzum - NOT easily accessible, one of the worst recommendations for someone new to metal

This guy just got into metal, and is into the more, "faux metal" bands, and here you are all recommending some of the most brutal shit ever, along with obscure bands.

(he isn't going to like them)

Personally I'd say the best direction to go in isn't one that someone else recommends.

As you can see from the posts so far, people just bombard you with their own tastes because their taste is obviously "the best".

Nothing against any of the guys that have posted, you all listen to that stuff because it does it for you but not necessecarily someone else. Everyone is different. One mans Suicide Silence is another mans Linkin Park!!

Not sure how long you've been into metal for but I found that metal is more of a journey that other genres. You'll probably find that over time you flit from band to band and even sub-genre to sub-genre. I love stuff now that I couldn't even listen to at first and it takes a while to get there.

A good starting point is probably to go on Last.FM or something and put in the bands that you already like and you'll get a playlist of similar bands which is great for expanding your tastes and finding what you're really about.

If posters just hang around the boards long enough, and look at the various genre threads, as well as "albums kicking your ass", and just sample the the stuff they see, they eventually will get a pretty broad tasting of what metal has to offer.

Obvious troll is obvious.

I meant more in regards to heaviness than just being different bands. My point is, some self proclaimed "metalheads" will no doubt think that Linkin Park are heavy.

Just like I'm sure Guytie, being pretty new to metal, probably feels that Disturbed are pretty heavy - and I'm sure alot of people would disagree... myself included :p

I used to think Distrubed was pretty heavy.

Thanks for the suggestions, I listened to all of them. Kiuas is very good.