Where Will Opeth Be In Ten Years Time?

_Transparent_

May 29, 2001
London, England
Visit site
wow, ten years sounds a long time, but will opeth be around then? i hope so but seriously doubt it. so what is the future of metal? when opeth leave us (in years to come, hopefully 20 years) who will be there to take their boots and put the smelly things on?

A look into the future, <que cheesy ambient music> 10 years!

Opeth:

Mikael Åkerfelt attatches neon ribbons from the top of his microphone stand to the bottom. His voice has continued to change over the years, and his clear voice now is strangely alike to the cry of the whale, while his growl puts Chris Barnes to shame. He becomes wary of having loud conversations with himself during his trips to seek out seclusion in the middle of the Atlantic.

Peter Lindgren developes arthritis, and is now confined to being a rhythm guitar player, putting the stress on Mikael to play both lead parts at the same time. He is considering using the new psychokinetics technology to play guitar so that he may finally be achieve his secret dream of stealing the credit from Mikael.

The Martin's are discovered to have the exact same genetic code, through scientific tests. Martin Lopez's birth records show that he was the older Martin, and so the world endeavored to find this secret lab that produced the enigmatic Martin Mendez. He is tested and retested, and eventually one of his legs developes a severe infection, due to exposure. Apparently the scientists who tested him needed so many samples, that they decided it would do better to leave him open. This (the right) leg eventually gets amputated, and the Martin's are no longer indistinguishable. And Martin Mendez attains the name "Speedy Mendez", playing on his inability to "walk" fast. After all the publicity Martin Mendez is getting, Martin Lopez gets angry that he is now just "The other Martin" and returns to Amon Amarth, who now hang christians live at their performances.

Opeth are marked for having never been successfully cloned, (unlike it's dummer). They are abducted by Aliens, who hold them randsom to the world. Since it had been decided by then that, "if Opeth goes, so do all the intelligent people of the world", the conglomerate of morons in the world were afraid of being helpless, and each paid a month's salary to the despicable aliens. The little green monsters then quander the recently earned money on a mysterious oracle named Jose Quervo and buy an entire Opeth show at the ultra-dome. Opeth release their 13th studio recording, and it is greated by the entire world as an 8th wonder of the Modern World.

:err: How's that? Think it's likely?

Opeth will have released their eleventh album, tentaively entitled Primordial Silence, and while their standing as the thinking man's extreme metal is still unquestioned, and their sales have increased ever since they joined a major label with 2007's Stitching The Wounds, which sold 34,000 copies, they still face accusations of not living up to their older material. Fans' most common complaints include their alleged riff recycling, and the fact that the aforementioned album contained 80% clean vocals (a trend that began with Still Life and continued with their sixth and seventh albums Learning To Sleep and Reflected Dark Matter), which they did succesfully counter with 2008's Pages From The Silent Hall, a concept album that was their harshest since My Arms Your Hearse.

Originally posted by Lina
In 10 years, Mikael will be bald.....but he'll still have that 'stache.
NICE with the 'stache goof, Lina! :lol:

In 10 years, they'll be in their late 30's, so it's not totally impossible that they'll be putting out music of some kind. I think they would have stopped by then though. Maybe someone will leave the band and put an end to it. From the past though, I'd think that it would have to be either Pete leaving or Mike calling it quits.

BUT! In 10 years? I'd like to see them in concert as Opeth. :D It will be like our parents going to see old old shows with the Stones or really old shows with the Dead 'cept we'll be seeing Opeth. :lol: I know, not likely. That makes me think of that again. What THE HELL is metal going to change into in the future.

Lynn

"White face, haggard grin."

Opeth will always be with me - well, unless too many of those brain cells keep on leaving me (that was a trend I started in college - you know, the party thing).

IF they produce an album in 10 years, it will have just one 70 minute song on it [album title=song title]. Their CD's will be found in the classical section next to Beethoven and Bach, and we will see their works played by symphonies around the world. But they will not go the Metallica route, and bring the orchestra with them on tour, although Mikael might be the guest singer at the symphony.

Ahhh, wouldn't that be nice - get all dressed up, go see the Boston Pops performing the Opeth opus XII, have some champagne, and see Mikael be the guest singer (in a tux, of course) :rolleyes:

Originally posted by metalmancpa
But they will not go the Metallica route, and bring the orchestra with them on tour, although Mikael might be the guest singer at the symphony.

Ahhh, wouldn't that be nice - get all dressed up, go see the Boston Pops performing the Opeth opus XII, have some champagne, and see Mikael be the guest singer (in a tux, of course) :rolleyes:

You mean like this?
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=26601
courtesy of SaintJoshy a long time ago.

Yup - that makes my dream a partial reality already.

Wow - maybe there is hope after all!!:eek: I'll just keep on checking the paper, so when they announce the symphony date, I'll be in line the night before they go on sale. If the symphony is already sold out, I'll pay 10x face to see them (well, maybe not 10x).

Opeth will have released their eleventh album, tentaively entitled Primordial Silence, and while their standing as the thinking man's extreme metal is still unquestioned, and their sales have increased ever since they joined a major label with 2007's Stitching The Wounds, which sold 34,000 copies, they still face accusations of not living up to their older material. Fans' most common complaints include their alleged riff recycling, and the fact that the aforementioned album contained 80% clean vocals (a trend that began with Still Life and continued with their sixth and seventh albums Learning To Sleep and Reflected Dark Matter), which they did succesfully counter with 2008's Pages From The Silent Hall, a concept album that was their harshest since My Arms Your Hearse.

This wasn't too far off, actually :)

bringing back this forum is pretty funny since we r talkin about 10 years later. Its so interesting cuz i guess these predictions were made a week after the 9/11 attacks...wait wtf am i talkin about.

Bloody hell. Someone's been digging deep into the archives. Well 7 years on, only one Martin remains; Peter has left the band and Opeth now have a keyboard player.

Who'd have thunk it?

Time marches on. . .

Does it freak anyone out that unborn future Opeth fans seeking information about an Opeth reunion show could be projecting this page directly onto their retinas via their supercomputer-equipped mirrorshades in 16 years?

Edit: To the above poster, there's still two Martins afaict.