Where you disappointed in the sound mix when you saw them?

Bob Albright

New Metal Member
Jan 3, 2011
York, Pa.
Hello fellow Sym X fans--I saw SymX for the first time at the Trocadero in Phila. Pa. early on in this tour. Loved the show, but was very disappointed in the quality of the mix. The beautiful harmonies these guys can do just could not be heard. Personlly, I think they should fire their sound man. They are capable of so much more than what I heard.

Actually, i think they have improved their live sound quite a bit. I saw them two years ago and sounded poorly. Saw them a couple of weeks ago and sounded much better, even excellent at some points. The Odyssey sounded Godly.
Of course they could sound better, they have the equipment and skills, but maybe the venue you attended to doesnt have good acoustics. there are some pther factors besides the sound guy that could mess things up a bit.

The Trocadero is a very small venue--an old opera house----the size of a high school auditorium--- so there was no reason for it not to sound just GREAT

I saw them on the PL tour in Charlotte, great sound. I saw them in Raleigh, and Charlotte on this last tour. The Raleigh show did not sound near as good as the Charlotte show. I figured it was the room dimensions that messed with that.

I have a question about Pinnella's live performance. On Iconoclast there are certain sections without keys, some lasting quite a while.

Does Pinnella just stand there during these sections?

I have a question about Pinnella's live performance. On Iconoclast there are certain sections without keys, some lasting quite a while.

How could any of us know that if they havent played that song live yet?

On a side note, ive seen Pinella not play anything in some other songs where no keys are present and he just chills and enjoys the music, but there are not many of those man, even if you dont hear it, the strings are almost always doing something.

I thought they sounded much better live this last time I saw them (May in San Fran) then in previous times I had seen them. Since they got on Nuclear Blast I truly love their live sound more.

I may be wrong but alot of the time, he seems to be backing up the Rhythm guitar (sort of like Jon Lord would so with his hammond organ), its just that the guitar is so forward in the mix that its sometimes barely inaudible, you can hear it quite alot on When all is Lost on the new record though.

How could any of us know that if they havent played that song live yet?

I saw them last night, and P just doubled MJR and Lepond for that Pantera part in Reign In Madness. ;D

Nah, Pinnella is usually doing something, and when you can't hear him he occasionally is just playing the same thing as the rhythm guitar. I could see him from the balcony at the LA show and his fingers were almost always moving.

Anyway, about the sound, the venue (the room's acoustics) and where you are standing make a huge difference. I was at the back of the room at the Chicago show (at the Bottom Lounge) and the sound was subpar - it was hard to hear Pinnella, for example. However, at the LA show (House of Blues) I was on the balcony and they've never sounded as good. Every instrument was crystal clear, and the vocals were at just the right level.

I've also noticed that if you're right up against the stage it's quite difficult to hear Pinnella. Not sure why though.

I agree, where you stand does make a difference. If I am at a show by myself, I will move around until I find an ideal sound. A lot of times, up close is too loud, but being close is different as you are almost a part of the show.

I saw Dream Theater, Queensryche, and Fates Warning in Tampa once, had tickets in a balcony, and the sound was excellent. The show was at a theater, so it was designed for sound.