which 5 death metal albums should i buy? you decide

I don't know exactly what defines death metal so I am afraid I cannot explain in detail, but Unquestionable Presence sounds like death metal to me and I can't recall anyone ever questioning this other than you.

I think DarkBliss had questioned it at another time. I always thought of it as progressive metal in the same vein as Cynic was.

Well, there's the big Slayer influence on their first album, with On They Slay being the biggest example of this. The vocals as well, though at a higher pitch, are pretty close to the genre.

Death - Scream Bloody Gore
At The Gates - The Red In The Sky Is Ours
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Amon Amarth - Once Sent From The Golden Hall

Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Suffocation - Effigy of The Forgotten
Amon Amarth - Once Sent From The Golden Hall
:)

I think DarkBliss had questioned it at another time. I always thought of it as progressive metal in the same vein as Cynic was.

I would consider progressive an attribute of music rather than a genre, but either way Atheist falls under progressive/technical death metal.

I would consider progressive an attribute of music rather than a genre, but either way Atheist falls under progressive/technical death metal.

Interesting point about calling a band 'progressive'. Technically, wouldn't any band that "progresses" the genre they're in be considered 'progressive'?

Hmm...

Interesting point about calling a band 'progressive'. Technically, wouldn't any band that "progresses" the genre they're in be considered 'progressive'?

Hmm...

Considering that progressive rock was named after the progressive radio format that it garnered radio play on in the 70's and not because it progresses music, no.

I've gotta say, I listened to Seven Churches by Possessed today, and i'm not sure what it was about it, but i fucking love that album, it pulled me in, i don't know. Anyone else enjoy this one?

"Altars Of Madness" by Morbid Angel
"Obscura" by Gorguts
"Nespithe" by Demilich
"Slumber Of Sullen Eyes" by Demigod
"Planisphaerium" by Wormed

Some of these would be extremely hard to find.

How is Atheist considered death metal? I asked this question a few days ago and no one answered it.

Are you fucking retarded by chance?

I would recommend starting with these:

Possessed - Seven Churches
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream

It's definitely death metal, yeah there's tons of experimentation but there's definitely death metal in songwriting structure and riffs.