Which album do you think the new album will be closest to?

Which album do you think the new album will be closest to?

• Something Wild

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hatebreeder

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Follow The Reaper

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Hate Crew Deathroll

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Are You Dead Yet?

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Blooddrunk

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Relentless Reckless Forever

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Completely different

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters
I heard someone say "a sharper version of Blooddrunk" in the album update thread. I actually thought of this myself. It should be noted that they're using Marshalls again, just like on Blooddrunk, so perhaps the guitar sound will be similar anyways...

The worst parts of Blooddrunk were the loose groove metal sections, so maybe that won't be so bad...

We have heard that it's a crossbreed of FTR & HCDR, or FTR & HB. If it then turns out to be another RRF I'll rip my shirt off. Honestly I think (/hope) this time it's gonna be the biggest change of sound since FTR - HCDR. However these comparisons are misleading sometimes, because it's little things that make the band say different. I think in the past Janne said about AYDY that it's a crossbreed of HCDR and FTR, which it isn't, but maybe it felt like so to him as there were more keyboards "originally" than how it turned out in the final product as you can't hear them, rather you can "feel" them and sometimes they're mixed completely down, whereas the keyboards shared such dynamic role in the lead voice in FTR...

how the fack can we compare this, We havent heard any proper material yet

I just mean what direction do you think they might go in, yes you are right we can't make a judgement yet but I'm just curious about what you guys think it might turn out like haha

It's gonna be shit anyway. They forgot how to make decent music.

COB is dead. Get over it. I will be extremely surprised if they somehow manage to write a single song that's comparable to... say, "Nocturnal" by The Black Dahlia Murder.

It's gonna be shit anyway. They forgot how to make decent music.

COB is dead. Get over it. I will be extremely surprised if they somehow manage to write a single song that's comparable to... say, "Nocturnal" by The Black Dahlia Murder.

QTF

except that last part, there isn't some magical standard that bands need to achieve.

COB is just bad. their first two albums showed some promise, but laiho is pretty much the worst singer in heavy metal, and their music is a mess.

BUT BOY, DO THEY SELL ALBUMS.

ok had my first COB forum post since 2004. I WILL RETURN IN 8 YEARS, WHEN LAIHO IS ON VH1

^Laiho has showcased some terrible vocals within the last decade from time to time, but his past vocals were greatness. I've only heard arrogant fans and non-fans bash his vocals, but I have to say the only attempts I've seen from fans to even mimic him have sounded annoying and irritating. Laiho's best vocals were legendary.

Plus, this theory that COB's music is a mess, but they sell albums just because stupid teens like to buy them, is unfair and misleading. Yes their music has become less good and less inspirational, but COB's music still happens to beat the living shit out of almost every band in terms of creativity and catchyness mixed with talent. Most other bands just never do anything that gets your blood pumping like COB. Don't confuse COB as a band that makes shit music but only sells because they're gay and pop.

I hope Laiho redeems his musical status with the new album...

^Laiho has showcased some terrible vocals within the last decade from time to time, but his past vocals were greatness. I've only heard arrogant fans and non-fans bash his vocals, but I have to say the only attempts I've seen from fans to even mimic him have sounded annoying and irritating. Laiho's best vocals were legendary.

Plus, this theory that COB's music is a mess, but they sell albums just because stupid teens like to buy them, is unfair and misleading. Yes their music has become less good and less inspirational, but COB's music still happens to beat the living shit out of almost every band in terms of creativity and catchyness mixed with talent. Most other bands just never do anything that gets your blood pumping like COB. Don't confuse COB as a band that makes shit music but only sells because they're gay and pop.

I hope Laiho redeems his musical status with the new album...

He won't. Your hope is in vain. It is going to be a shit album. Deal with it now, save yourself from the disappointment.

Look, Hatebreeder is never coming back. NEVER. It won't. Those vocals are gone forever.

I was going to finish here, but let me tell you something. Here's why COB will never recover from the suffocating mediocrity in which they have been drowning for such a long time. There are two separate issues here.

First, the easier one. Vocals. They aren't coming back. Period. That is sad for me to admit, because Laiho's were the first growling vocals I heard in metal, and from there I learned about the existence of extreme metal, which is now my favorite metal genre.

Second, the main issue. The muse.

Look, every artist needs a muse. Every artist needs to express himself about something. That's what inspires the artist above the mediocrity, it's what propels him to achieve greatness.

The muse may be anything. It may be anger, it may be angst, it may be beauty, maybe even a woman. Some have felt the urge to write about the wonders of nature, others have painted great archetypes. Statues were risen in honor of great personalities.

Children of Bodom's muse was death. That was clear. The muse is still on the cover of every album, but it has lost status: now it's a mascot. In the beginning they sang about many aspects related with the certainty of death, be it anger, hopelessness, or even the embrace of it in hatred, that was the topic of every single song. I'm sure Laiho had dealt with suicidal thoughts in the past, and I hope he doesn't suffer with this anymore, but I'm pretty sure the reality of death was a big deal for him.

The muse, ironically, is dead. They've devolved into a bunch of drunkards who don't take their craft seriously anymore. That's why every single song seems pointless and hollow. That's why every solo is a mess, why every album is loaded with annoying riffs. You can be a great musician and still be boring as hell, as I'm sure you know many talented musicians who couldn't ever write great hits.

When all you've got as a muse is beer and pointless anger at, well, "something I guess", you end up with Relentless Reckless Forever. They have moved from the songs you're still hoping they'll write someday, to "Was It Worth It?", which, according to Laiho himself, is "a total party song". It is all so pointless that, again, Laiho described "Ugly" as "really just venting and screaming stupid stuff.".

That's the new COB is a nutshell. "Screaming stupid stuff". The vocals won't be back. The music won't be back. I expect this new album to be called "SCREAMING STUPID STUFF". Good luck, mate.

Second, the main issue. The muse.

The muse may be anything. It may be anger, it may be angst, it may be beauty, maybe even a woman. Some have felt the urge to write about the wonders of nature, others have painted great archetypes. Statues were risen in honor of great personalities.

Children of Bodom's muse was death. That was clear. The muse is still on the cover of every album, but it has lost status: now it's a mascot. In the beginning they sang about many aspects related with the certainty of death, be it anger, hopelessness, or even the embrace of it in hatred, that was the topic of every single song. I'm sure Laiho had dealt with suicidal thoughts in the past, and I hope he doesn't suffer with this anymore, but I'm pretty sure the reality of death was a big deal for him.

The muse, ironically, is dead. They've devolved into a bunch of drunkards who don't take their craft seriously anymore. That's why every single song seems pointless and hollow. That's why every solo is a mess, why every album is loaded with annoying riffs. You can be a great musician and still be boring as hell, as I'm sure you know many talented musicians who couldn't ever write great hits.

When all you've got as a muse is beer and pointless anger at, well, "something I guess", you end up with Relentless Reckless Forever. They have moved from the songs you're still hoping they'll write someday, to "Was It Worth It?", which, according to Laiho himself, is "a total party song". It is all so pointless that, again, Laiho described "Ugly" as "really just venting and screaming stupid stuff.".

This is a bright and razor-sharp excursion of the situation, filled with justified nihilism of a bitter and sarcastic taste...

If they indeed continued the route they highlighted with Relentless Reckless Forever, I wouldn't be surprised if the album was named "Screaming Stupid Shit." That's sincerely how bad the situation got with the art.

However, there are statements of this new album returning to the older fashion of their sound, and them needing a change. Yet, the road up seems very, very steep... can they make it up and recover from the bottom-work RRF. I've no idea. On paper it sounds they have realized where they went wrong. "Dark, old-school Bodom, and change" are exactly the words I needed to hear. But can Alexi really make such a massive change of mindset again?

You're so right about the Reaper only serving as a mascot in the newer album, disgracing the whole epicness of the old Reaper artworks with interesting symbolism and atmospheric reference to things related to death, depression, suicidal comforts, etc. These days there is no theme. Not even the drinking theme anymore. With RRF there is nothing. For the past decade Alexi has been in an environment extinquishing his creative flow, suffocating the sharpest edge of his deep thinking. And for the worth of thousands of posts I've been trying to help him reinvigorate that side, but unfortunately he's not been reading. I did finally get to ask him seven questions of a deep nature and hope that somehow makes even a slight change in his thinking when deciding on the final sound world...

Alexi should let the influence be the epicness of the old COB albums and not stubbornly try to write atmospheric songs about his personal life that doesn't necessarily contain the elements for an interesting and epic melodic metal project any longer. There are plenty of interesting things he could write about and incorporate it to the original cult idea...

I'm dreaming of them to come up with a sexy and electric Bodom album with scythe-swinging riffs and all the legendary elements and a mind-blowing artwork... but realistically I'm expecting another Blooddrunk with old COB influences but a lack of epic ideas. So there is a chance to both surprise and disappointment.

I hope the record label just manipulated their music and after changing labels for this album there will be some magical change... I can't believe Alexi is interested to play Silent Hill games from start to finish and still write music in the vein of Lamb of God. Well, soon it is all revealed: does Alexi have that deep-thinking creative flame inside him still, or not. Blooddrunk still had lots of atmosphere (in a few songs anyway), but I hope RRF was just an album that was totally manipulated by their label... I don't want to hear it really came from the heart.

However, there are statements of this new album returning to the older fashion of their sound, and them needing a change. Yet, the road up seems very, very steep... can they make it up and recover from the bottom-work RRF. I've no idea. On paper it sounds they have realized where they went wrong. "Dark, old-school Bodom, and change" are exactly the words I needed to hear. But can Alexi really make such a massive change of mindset again?

Have they stated that anywhere? That they want to go back to their old-school style? Yes, I do believe it would be hard for them to emulate their most genuine phase at this point, but it would be interesting to know if they at least plan to try.

You really love this band, don't you? Yeah, they were my favorite metal band for quite some time too. Well, anyway, some things don't deserve such a strong emotional bond, dude. Just sayin'.

Janne said the album could sound as if set between Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper. That one statement has to mean SOMETHING.

"Dark, old-school Bodom, and change" are exactly the words I needed to hear. But can Alexi really make such a massive change of mindset again?

This is the same thing I've been wondering too. Back when he wrote that style of music he was suicidal and not really in the best place mentally speaking. So that dark music was from the heart, from what he was actually feeling. Since he doesn't really have that mindset anymore I don't know if he can capture those emotions once again, and I don't know if he'd even want to be put back in that mindset. While I'm sure he can force himself to write things in an old-school style, it would just be something that would lack emotion. While I do hope for a change back, if it isn't where their hearts are at right now, I'd rather them make a completely different sounding album that's filled with emotion rather than a dark sounding mash up of random riffs.