Which band were you most impressed with?

David N.

New Metal Member
Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
I don't know about the rest of you, but I thought Pagan's Mind put on one hell of a show! From where I was standing (about 25 feet from the stage) their sound was simply incredible! Plus, I thought they had a really great stage presence as well. Other highlights for me would have been Nightwish, Symphony X, Evergrey, and of course RAGE!!! Overall, I thought all of the bands pretty much kicked ass, and I'm already making plans for next year's Progpower (this was my first)!!!

tenebre said:

Tight!

Nightwish and C2C were my biggest surprises of the weekend.

I'm a Nightwish fan (as far as the CDs go) but I did not expect them to put on the kick ass show they did. I was in a seat for their set but couldn't sit down or stop moving the whole time they were on stage.

C2C, I have to admit I was wondering how the heck they fit in to the Prog/Power theme at all when they were announced. I'm a Sava fan and Zak is one of my all time favorite vocalists, but listening to their CD I was just confused. I really was negative about them fitting in or getting a crowd reaction but good lord! They were just incredible!!! I was down on the floor and looking around there was not a mouth not moving and singing the lyrics, ESPECIALLY on the Sava tunes. I was so happy to see that ... they put on a great show and really had the crowd going.

Evergrey - I just loves these guys. They are always awesome - so energetic and you gotta love the guitar tech! :)

I loved every band I saw at PP, but I have to give the "Most Impressed Award" to Symphony X. I own all their cds and even gave them the occasional listen, but I did not go into that show as a real fan. However, I left the show completely converted having witnessed the godliness of Romeo, Allen, and company. I expected nothing and they split open my skull and owned my bitch ass. I will never be the same again.

-Darrin

Circle II Circle IMO I think took the Kudos for best band award...I was floored by the stage presence and awesome sound that came from them! They were fucken AWESOME! :)

Nightwish by all means had Day 1 wraped up so they would be my next band...although I am a HUGE Nightwish fan, I still have to give the edge to CIIC

Symphony X is well...Symphony X they are INCREDIBLE but I was somewhat pissed off at the sound quality and the feedback Allen kept having with the mic. Still anyone that plays a song like The Odyssey as an encore kicks ass! Only drawback I was getting real tired due to lack of sleep and way too many Guiness! :)

My surprise picks:
Mercenary - This band kicked ass! Haven't heard there stuff but following their set I made sure I picked up a copy of Everblack! Pleasant surprise!

Rage - I never owned anything by them and in fact I had just a few mp3's until I recently received their new promo Soundchaser and it wasn't bad. However blame it on the late time again but I only caught 3 or 4 songs by them...yet they did more in those songs then some of the bands did in there entire set. :)

Good but could have been better:
Evergrey - I love there studio stuff to death, the band is one of my favorites and gets heavy rotation on my radio show. However, for some reason I think they were a little flat live...sound was good but from time to time Tom would have problems with his guitar and he seemed to struggle a little with the vocal part live. Regardless I watched it all and will watch them again!

Vanden Plas - Same thing, I have a lot of their CD's but they just looked flat to me live. Andy is a very good vocalist but somewhat repetitive IMO and doesn't show the range say someone like Russell Allen (then again not many can touch him). :) Gunter is a killer keyboardist really tasty. The sounds was a little too bass driven for me...I walked out after 4 or 5 songs just needed a break.

Redemption - the CD is not too bad, it's kind of a hit or miss for me, some songs I like some I could care less about. The live didn't impress me...it was cool to see some of the guys from Prymary helping out but other then that I think they need to work on some better material before going on stage.

Secret Sphere/Pagans Mind - Same thing, have a couple of their CD's I actually like a few tracks but overall them and Pagans Mind bored me. I am sorry to offend anyone and dont' want to start a flame war but live I think both of these bands didn't click with me. I talked to a few others as well most of them agree with Secret Sphere (the chick was awful...I think she was more for eye candy then her vocal talent) I did have split reactions to Pagans Mind, some thought they were great (keys and rythim guitar sucked ass, the rest of the band does have potential) some said they were OK and a few I talked too said what I said...boring. :) Although I have some funny ass stories about Pagans Mind that I probably shouldn't post or even show pictures of! :)

Cheers!

All of the bands were great, but NIGHTWISH and CIRCLE II CIRCLE easily ruled their respective nights completely. A million thanx to Glenn and his crew for giving us the opportunity to witness this exhibition of greatness!

Rage was by far the most impressive. Even though people walked out on them they still kicked more ass than the rest of PPIV put together (and that is saying a lot since IMO 9 of the 10 bands at PP ranged from good to awesome)

I gotta give major props to RAGE. Amazing... absolutely amazing.

Circle II Circle and Nightwish were also up there on the list. And Symphony X isn't one to mess around either. But they never are. Too. Many. Good. Bands!

RAGE! And I am no Rage Fan.. I like their stuff alright, but I am no big fan... But their show was just KILLER!

CircleIICircle, Nightwish and Vanden Plas were also awesome! Those 4 were my favorite...
CircleIICircle improved sooooooooooooo much from the last time I saw them! I was at their very first show, in Tampa...

I thought Rage was terrible. Boring and old. Nightwish and Secret Sphere tore it up! The show ended for me right after Evergrey.

I thought you left before Rage came on stage. I accept that you say Rage is boring (matter of taste), but old??? Their recent material is some of the freshest and most modern power/heavy metal out there. If Smolski's guitar playing is old, then I am 200 years old. Terrana's drumming is also very modern.
Secret Sphere tore it up??? No comment...

When I said I thought Rage was boring and old, I meant the stuff I listened to on cd, not the show. And yes, I left after Evergrey, but was still in the venue and heard Rage while they were playing. As for Secret Sphere, yes, they tore it up for me. Great band, awesome songs, and alot of class off the stage. Great bunch of guys that i have a ton of respect for.

Tight on Rage...

Vanden Plas impressed me the most..along with Evergrey. I saw them here in NY last week and their sound was disgusting. I didn't have high hopes..but during their set I couldn't help but literally LAUGH OUT LOUD at how f'n awesome they were..I was blown away.

C II C rocked hard too, I thought they were great..and it was a treat to see them go on ten minutes early.

I have no idea what someone was listening to if they thought secret sphere were good and that rage sucks. I guess we're all different. I usually enjoy most bands I see if they're playing metal but the feeling I got from them was just different than from every other band I saw by far.