Which band were you most impressed with?

I went in expecting Nightwish, Symphony X, and Rage to all kick major ass, and they did. I went in expecting C2C to be pretty solid, but they totally rocked my world. So as for making an unexpectedly good impression, that would definitely be C2C. I really hope to see more albums and live shows from them in the future.

I think I'm one of the few people that didn't get into Evergrey and Nightwish...I dunno whatever. But of course Symphony X was my fav as they were my reason for attending. I loved seeing Rage, I thought they played awesome. I too was surprised at how good Circle II Circle was. I really like the singer's voice.

DrBell said:
I have no idea what someone was listening to if they thought secret sphere were good and that rage sucks. I guess we're all different. I usually enjoy most bands I see if they're playing metal but the feeling I got from them was just different than from every other band I saw by far.

I honestly can't understand people's dissapointment with Secret Sphere. I really think they are a solid band with tons of hooks and great melodies. I was down i the front going crazy during their set. I think Rob Messina is one of the best Italian vocalists (yes, there are not many because of the language barrier and the usual strong accent), but those guys made my weekend very special, and they were 1 of the main bands I was looking forward to see. This is just proof that everyone has different tastes when it comes to music.

I honestly can't understand people's dissapointment with Secret Sphere
I think for most people the disappointment came from the fact that they mostly played music from their latest sellout hard-rock album, as opposed to the previous two metal albums that were actually good. Also, the lead singer's voice was strained at times and the female backup singer was absolutely horrible. And whether it was the language barrier or something else, some of the lead singer's attempts at crowd interaction were downright awkward. I'm not sure what their fanbase in Italy is like, but it seemed to me that they didn't understand that they were playing to a prog/power metal crowd in Atlanta.

I thought Secret Sphere put on a decent performance, but I've got to be honest with you, that singer running around barefoot in those tight-ass "zebra" pants left me a bit confused...

Hey, it's their image in Italy, and why should they change that simply because they were playing here in the U.S. I could care less what he was running around in; to me, it is all about the music, and I also don't see how their last album was a sell-out/hard rock album. Are we listening to the same album with songs like Rain and 1000 Eyes Show! Give the guy a break, he had a difficult time interacting with the crowd. It was their first time playing in the U.S., and there was an obvious language barrier. But give the guy credit for at least trying. All I'm saying is there is no need to be so critical of certain bands simply based upon how they dress or interact with the crowd. And I don't know if anyone has the new Alkymyst cd enitled Meeting In The Mist, but his vocals on that CD are incredible as well. Whatever, no sense in arguing; I thought they were great, and I absolutely love their last album. maybe some of you need to give it a chance, and go into it with an open mind instead of hoping to hear the first and second album all over again.

nightwish58 said:
Hey, it's their image in Italy, and why should they change that simply because they were playing here in the U.S. I could care less what he was running around in; to me, it is all about the music, and I also don't see how their last album was a sell-out/hard rock album. Are we listening to the same album with songs like Rain and 1000 Eyes Show! Give the guy a break, he had a difficult time interacting with the crowd. It was their first time playing in the U.S., and there was an obvious language barrier. But give the guy credit for at least trying. All I'm saying is there is no need to be so critical of certain bands simply based upon how they dress or interact with the crowd. And I don't know if anyone has the new Alkymyst cd enitled Meeting In The Mist, but his vocals on that CD are incredible as well. Whatever, no sense in arguing; I thought they were great, and I absolutely love their last album. maybe some of you need to give it a chance, and go into it with an open mind instead of hoping to hear the first and second album all over again.

I agree with you as far as it being "all about the music". That said, I definitely think that Secret Sphere is a talented band, and, like I said before, I thought they put on a decent performance at PP4, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who thought they were having an 80's flashback after watching their singer...

Nightwish 58: you are saying people should have been more open minded with Secret Sphere...what about you with Rage? You said they sucked and did not even give them a chance, while the people who are saying Secret Sphere wasn't very good (including myself) at least saw their show and can form an opinion. It seems like you are having a hard time accepting that other's did not like Secret Sphere that much. I am one of those who was expecting good things from them because I really dig their first two albums (the last one sucks) and was hoping to hear more songs from those two albums.

In this order
1. Vanden Plas
2. Mercenary
3. CIIC
4... there was nothing else of interest other than the hot bartender chick and the hot back up singer for Secret Sphere who's vocals weren't so hot.

VANDEN FREAKING PLAS! I love their music and thought they would be good..but OMG they were beyond Great! I was moved to tears of joy at their first note..and by the time they ended with Rainmaker I was back to crying those tears of joy!

Other Standout bands:
Redemption: Corey kicked all kinds of ass live..and damn Nick! Oy can you write some damn good music.

Circle II Circle: Love the cd..but then hearing Edge of Thorns - the song that introduced me to Savatage, was truly a shining moment for me. More tears of joy

SymphonyX: Seen them quite a few times now and they do not disappoint. This time I saw them from the best place...backstage side. ROCK!

Evergrey: As always the Swedes kick much metal ass. And they own me when they play Solitude Within.

Coldie

I think Evergrey definitly was the best. After Evergrey I would say Secret Sphere. I was happy to hear a couple from A Time Never Come although I was really hoping they would play The Brave but they did not :erk: Oh well.

I guess my "dissapointment" was Nightwish. I did not like the people on the floor with the "moshing" type thing going on or whatever it was. It was very annoying and because of it my ankle got messed up and I had to leave in middle of their set! :yell: Therefore I missed Symphony X :erk:

Nonetheless ... it was wonderful!

Rage, of course! Followed by Circle II Circle, Nightwish, Pagan's Mind, Symphony X, Vanden Plas, Evergrey, Mercenary and Secret Sphere ( I missed Redemption). All in all a great show! Hope to be back next year!!!

nightwish58 said:
I honestly can't understand people's dissapointment with Secret Sphere. I really think they are a solid band with tons of hooks and great melodies. I was down i the front going crazy during their set. I think Rob Messina is one of the best Italian vocalists (yes, there are not many because of the language barrier and the usual strong accent), but those guys made my weekend very special, and they were 1 of the main bands I was looking forward to see. This is just proof that everyone has different tastes when it comes to music.

Dude I agree with you, I thought Secret Sphere had an excellent performance. And personally Im a bit offended that some of you guys thought that Nadia was only there for eye candy. If you researched about the album, she sang on it and is a professional italian pop singer. She was there so they could perform More than Simple Emotions, a song that they werent able to perform in their previous shows in Italy becuase they were looking for a professional singer.

I really dont give a shit what they ran around on with. Whether its zebra pants or not..personally Roberto Messina runs around barefoot in pretty much all of the shows they have performed. This show was no different. Maybe the dressing style was a bit tacky, but you got admit, it sure as hell made you pay attention!!!! And this wasnt the ONLY performance he has wore these pants in.....that is his style. What does he need to do? Dress like everybody else? Black pants and shit?

I personally dont care what people think, I think they made a wonderful and very entertaining performance. They were very vocal and interactive with the crowd and they pretty much made my weekend and my first progpower ever an experience to remember.

Second of all, I loved and enjoyed all the bands that performed this weekend. Pagans Mind was defintly one of the bands I wanted to see and enjoyed seeing them. Personally Nightwish was good on stage, but the singing style was not in my taste becuase it was too opera like and it bothered me. This was the first time I heard them ever, I personally think they sound better on the cd than live. But that is of course, my opinion to some of you who enjoyed Nightwish this weekend.

And another thing, SYMPHONY X WAS TOO DAMN LOUD! Holy shit, I was all the way at the TOP of the seats and I was still in incredibly pain......they seriously should have never done that....that was defintly deafening quality...they literally shook the entire earthlink center with how incredibly loud they were. Dont get me wrong, I loved their performance...but after a while I couldnt stay becuase my boyfriends ears were killing him.

Those are my thoughts.....Hey Nightwish58...you want some pics of SS? I took some of their performance this past weekend.

IceDragonX said:
And another thing, SYMPHONY X WAS TOO DAMN LOUD! Holy shit, I was all the way at the TOP of the seats and I was still in incredibly pain......they seriously should have never done that....that was defintly deafening quality...they literally shook the entire earthlink center with how incredibly loud they were. Dont get me wrong, I loved their performance...but after a while I couldnt stay becuase my boyfriends ears were killing him.

Wow, I was front row and thought it was fine, though I was wearing earplugs. Maybe others should wear earplugs too :p

nightwish58 said:

I agree here- I thought that Secret Sphere did a hell of a job- Mystery from A Time Never Come was awesome.. I think they were kind of overshadowed by Pagans Mind- who was really the crowd surprise favorite of the festival- they were so accessible to the fans, and I really think that made a difference in their crowd reception

97reb said:
In this order
1. Vanden Plas
2. Mercenary
3. CIIC
4... there was nothing else of interest other than the hot bartender chick and the hot back up singer for Secret Sphere who's vocals weren't so hot.

yeah the Bartender chick was a cutie. Got my picture taken with her. I'd probably talked to her a bit more but I figured I was far out classed by the people in the bands themselves. If I saw her, I know they did.

She was mad because I wanted change :)

I bought two waters with a five-dollar bill and they were two-dollars a piece and I wanted the dollar back :p I do not fall into lustful money-traps. I need every dollar I can get after this expensive vacation...

Edit: She also looked very slutty and "goth" in my opinion. No good.

IceDragonX said:
Dude I agree with you, I thought Secret Sphere had an excellent performance. And personally Im a bit offended that some of you guys thought that Nadia was only there for eye candy. If you researched about the album, she sang on it and is a professional italian pop singer. She was there so they could perform More than Simple Emotions, a song that they werent able to perform in their previous shows in Italy becuase they were looking for a professional singer.

I have the Album, and her singing is not real great on it either. More than Simple Emotions sounds like a bad U2 song. I wish they hadn't performed it. I really like the first four tracks on the new album, but then it all goes to hell. I think the real eye candy was hidden behind the drums :).

Pagan's Mind was amazing and after that Secret Sphere put on a good show, but I agree that it was overshadowed.

Guys, I don't care what secret sphere wore onstage. I thought it was hillarious. I also don't give a shit about their crowd interaction. But the songs they were playing were really not that good, and the singing was not even decent.