which brand, gauge strings do you guys use????

diospada

Katatonic Opethean
Feb 12, 2003
New York
Visit site
i just got an electric guitar a couple months ago, and the strings on it are .009, and need more suggestions.
bowdown.gif
:Shedevil:

I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkies, which are also 9s. I keep that guitar tuned to E. I have another guitar that I keep tuned to C. It has Ernie Ball strings for 7 string guitars, except I got rid of the 11, so technically, it has 14s on it.

Elixers.... .09's super light I believe they're called.
I love them.... I don't think there is a better string on the market....well, at least for me....
Oh and I only play in E tuning
Now I have an Ibanez that I have in drop D at the moment, only so I can play "Demon of the Fall." and I've noticed that I dislike having such thin strings for that type of tuning....so
I suppose it all depends on what type of music you're playing and in what tune when it comes to sizes, but as far as companies go....I personally don't think that Elixer can be beat.

To elaborate further on this...

I've spent two days doing nothing but playing my E-tuned Jackson which I recently fitted with .010's instead of my usual .009's...and I realised I like both guages for different reasons.

With .010's, I find it's easier to do alternate picking runs because of the higher string tension - the pick slips off the strings more easilly, speeding up my picking technique. It's harder to do bends and those radical Zakk-style vibratos though. Especially double string bends requires a lot of finger strength to successfully pull off.

'bane

I use D'daddario .009 and Dean Markley Blue steel also .009

I use them for my Jackson which is tuned to Eb and my epiphone tuned to E.

Although i tuned my Jackson down one half step i use the .009 strings. I got used to it so much that i have no problems with alternate picking on that low string tension. Even some freaky "Stormrider" or "Dantes Inferno" parts are no problem. :headbang:

I use Elixir .10 usually. I do use .11s on my crappy strat and on my wolfgang im using .09s at the mo, mainly because i havent found the time to do a setup for .10s

i use .10s because i like the tension and the improved tone. Elixirs are good because i wear of the finish REALLY quickly so they last longer, and they feel so nice and smooth to play on.

Gibson Flat Wires 11s in D and C# tuning (they work really good in C-tuning, too)
I really like flat strings :)
I'm thinking about using 10s for D tuning.......

i have used d'addrio strings exclusively, so i can't comment on other brands. but they are cheap and high quality. .008s when in e tuning, .009 or .010 when tuning lower.

Elixer .9 on my ESP F200 which is tuned to E
GHS Boomers .10 on my Epiphone Fat 210 which is tuned 1/2 a step down

I find Elixer to be the best. Great tone and can take a beating