Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Logic

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • Other, what?

Votes: 16 22.2%

• Total voters

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
Okay, now that I'm seriously going legit I've been thinking what DAW to get, and I have three options in my mind (PS: I am not even considering Reaper as from the few use experiences I just don't like it, I got similiar feeling as with Logic):

Cubase 5
+ I've been using both legit and not so legit version of cubase versions 1-4 like forever and I pretty much know the software by heart and I could also import my old projects into it
+ Has pretty much everything I need
- Requires the dongle, so that means that I would also have to use a separate usb hub as my laptop only has two usb holes
- The most expensive option from these three
- There isn't many mac vst's available

ProTools LE 8
+ I know the software quite well, but not as well as Cubase
+ No separate dongle needed as the interface works as a dongle
- The software is crippled as fuck
- The amount of free plugins is really low

Logic Pro 9
+ Good amount of plugins available and the built-in plugins are pretty stellar
+ Doesn't need a dongle of any sort and works even without an interface if I would use it for editing etc
- I would have to learn to use it. I've used it maybe 5 times or so, and every time I just felt so restricted as I don't know where stuff is and I thought compared to both Cubase and Pro Tools it has more steeper learning curve

So what do you think?

I use Logic, and I love it. It doesn't have a huge learning curve, and several of it's most annoying issues have been fixed in version 9. At the moment I can't see myself changing DAW for the foreseeable future.

Cubase. By a mile. Piano roll in logic is shit and likewise with Reaper.

Even though I personally love Logic and cannot see myself replacing it with anything else as my main DAW, I still voted for Cubase since you know it so well already. Then perhaps consider getting PT8 as a second DAW later for compatibility.

BTW, I switched to Logic from previously using Reaper. Still use it occasionally for shits and giggles, but I'm far more comfortable and fast with Logic. I have to say, I think it's kind of weird how much love it gets everywhere these days; IMO it's still just another DAW. I mean, I've even had someone say to me that I'm an idiot because I use Logic, and that I should be using Reaper instead, because "it's just better than anything else out there". Luckily that was IRL and not on this forum, and it came from someone who just does simple metal songs at home, with no editing or anything "deeper" involved in the process.

Besides, I still don't feel it's quite as good on Mac as it was when I was still using a PC.

I think cubase is a good default position if you don't need the advantages specifically offered by the others. Particularly if you know it well.
One +1 you forgot for PT's though is ubiquity. I know plenty of people hate this fact and think it is dumb/unfair/self-perpetuating but it's still a fact.

Just to be different I'm going to say Sonar - I know, I know, I'm the black sheep of the family. Truth be told I've only ever used Sonar so for what I do it fits my needs quite well and I've gotten to know it's ins and outs. Cakewalk have been on the forefront of x64 bit audio production and I think it has served them well. The only other DAW I've tried is Reaper and despite all the praise it gets it just was not a fit for me even though I can see why some folks are impressed with it.

Cakewalk may not be an option as you are probably a Mac user so I'm just wasting space, but have to put in a vote for my DAW. Go Sonar!

Yeah, Sonar is out of question as I'm using mac.

Take a look at Presonus Studio One!

From what I read it seems very intriguing, but I'm waiting for the next revision so they can iron out all the "new daw on the market" flaws. For example the first update had this kind of update, which you usually take for granted:

"You can now draw automation waveforms"

One +1 you forgot for PT's though is ubiquity. I know plenty of people hate this fact and think it is dumb/unfair/self-perpetuating but it's still a fact.

Well yeah, I acknowledge that it is "the industry standard" and I don't see it as a bad thing as it adds portability between studios. I only see the lack of stuff like ADC and voice/track count limitation even on the "full version" (HD) as the bad thing. I would rather have my hardware as the limitation instead of the random number the manufacturer decided on their own.

C5, man. Just pray Steinberg will someday improve the grouping....

I got Logic and I ended up using it only as a tool to fix drums quicker, but ended up on Cubendo again.

Reaper. If you spend the time to customize it, it can pretty much do anything other daws do. Plus it's cheap. Plus it's fast. Plus ethically, the company has a great attitude and support network.

Otherwise I guess go cubase/nuendo/cubendo/whatever the fuck it's called. You appear to know it well, and whilst I enjoy working in pt, they're a bunch of shit cunts.

Just remember, perhaps a months worth of steep learning can be worth it if it results in a more efficient workflow.

hmm, all of the mentioned DAW's have pros and cons...
I think its a extreme personal choice, which implicate workflow, hardware and so on.

That's why I'm not "polling";)

A cool thing for C5 is the EDU version. I'm pretty shure your trusted music shop will give you the EDU(250€).
Just a thought.

I totally agree that it's a personal thing

It's what you find to be the best! Once you've learnt the program, been using it for long enough etc you'll start to see the pros and cons and if its for you or not!

If you can, try get some trial versions of your preferred DAWs and go from there.

Your not gonna learn a program 110%, inside out, within the first month. I've been using Logic for 2 years now and still find myself going back to good old youtube tutorials every now and again for help!

Another vote for Reaper. I had been using Ableton Live 8, and I still do for some stuff, but Reaper loads so fast and is far easier to use...

All these DAWs are professional and can really help you to make awesome mixes. I have never met a person that can distinguish whether a song has been mixed with Sonar, or Cubase, etc..

I am sure you know those things. What i am trying to say is that only YOU know the answer. At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal taste, budget, and habit. There are no actual sonic differences, if it suits you, then it's good!

So, try as many DAWs as possible for your system (demo versions maybe?) and decide based on that and your budget.

Cheers