Which Double Pedal??

Which double bass pedal would you choose...

• dw 5002

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Tama Iron Cobra Double

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Pearl Eliminator Double

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
Hi,

I am a drummer and I am planning to purchase a double bass pedal in the next few weeks...

The three above are the ones I am considering. which model out of these do you think is the best choice?

Alternatively, if you have a serious recommendation for a different model, please let me know as well.

Thanks.

:D

I've heard they're good, and obviously various artists use them. They look very different to what I'm used to though however, and I'm not sure whether I'm prepared to spend a substantial sum of money on something I'm not used to.

Also, as they're hand crafted, I doubt whether my local dealer will stock them.

Thanks for the suggestion and the link though!

:)

Well, honestly, if you are just starting to work both feet with the bass drum, I wouldn't start off with any of those. I'd get a begginer pedal like a HP100 or a Gibralter and work with that for a year or 2 then upgrade as your skill grows to one of those expert pedals. If you start with an AXIS, it wouldn't be very good...they are too sensitive.
Just my 3 cents.:)

joe4324 said:
http://www.axispercussion.com/

Its my understanding that these are some of the best pedals in the world. Hellhammer from Arcturus,Mayhem,Thorns,Winds and half of the norweigian bands use it.
Yes, I have one of those babies...an X-L2
And you're right...
Jan Axel
Tyrm
Tony Laureno
Tjodalv
John Longstreth
Nick Barker
and prolly my fav, Flo (though not sure 'bout him)
all use AXIS

Well I'd have to disagree with you FallingAscention. I see it that if I'm gonna be serious about double bass drumming, I'm not going to want to replace my pedals after a few years.

With these pedals, I'm not going to need to upgrade them or replace them, and I will get used to them.

Again, I think AXIS pedals look good, but they look so different to anything I've used before, that I'm a bit wary.

Also, I imagine they're way out of my price range as they're hand made....

Anyone know the prices for AXIS pedals?

Only in US Prices, but maybe you can convert easily enough.
The X-2 is $400
X-L2 (mine) - $430
A-2 is like $530
A-L2 is maybe $570 ....to too sure about the last ones...but ask xenophobe, I believe he's talked on the subject of starting with AXIS somewhere....
Good luck!

Axis beats the crap out of every other pedal imo!!!

I've played Mapex, Pearl, Gibraltar, DW, Tama and now Axis.
No other pedal comes even close to Axis speed and smoothness, it's also quite powerful. It sort of plays "for you".
It can be hard to master slow beats with it from the beginning but ones you're there...you can't go wrong! :)

FailingAcension said:
Hey, what model pedal do you have Ronnie? I have a X-L2. :)

I have the AX-A2. :)
How's the longboard, how different is it to play with compared to the "normal" one?

What springtension do you have, tight or loose?
I think it's fun to discuss these sort of things with other drummers hehe. :D

I've got an Iron Cobra. It's great - fast, powerful controlled. I've also played an eliminator and that was also great - lots of options, adjustability etc. The DW is a classic - strong, smooth running etc.

So... which should you get? Well to be honest it won't make that much difference. Get a new, good pedal and then work on your playing. It's your feet that make it go fast - not the pedal. People make too much fuss about the actual equipment. I'm sure Nick Barker could crank out 16th at 260 bpm on a Gibralter pedal.

So... go to the shop, set some pedals up side by side and then see which feels the best. Points to note: smoothness of action. Make sure there's no wasted motion ie sided to side movement, footboard flex etc.

I think these three pedals are comparable in quality and features so it'll just be your personal preference.

It's your feet that make it go fast - not the pedal. People make too much fuss about the actual equipment.

I agree to certain extend but...I can honestly say that when I bought the Axis pedal, my speed increased with at least 20bpm at once so good equipment DO have A LOT to do with how fast you actually are! :)
Some pedals are just easier to speed it with than others...

FailingAcension said:
Yes, I have one of those babies...an X-L2
And you're right...
Jan Axel
Tyrm
Tony Laureno
Tjodalv
John Longstreth
Nick Barker
and prolly my fav, Flo (though not sure 'bout him)
all use AXIS

BTW: It's Trym.. not Tyrm.. And he doesn't use Axis and neither does Flo.. Flo uses Pearl Eliminators and Trym uses Iron Cobras..

BUT!!! Axis is the best pedal in the world! I have regular Axis A double pedal and it's the best pedal I have tried.. Though I haven't tried Longboard models because I haven't seen them anywhere here.. But I'm going to buy Longboards some day..

Wow! Corrected 3 times at once! Oh well, I was wrong and now I know better.:p And yes, you are right! I have X-L2, and I love the longboards. Hope you find some.;)