Which metal?

too right blad, fuck these noobs arguing about what metal is what, just like people bragging about how they can name all their fav's bands albums, or what date each of their stars lead singers was born, what their hoobies or where they go for a fricken shit. None of it matters.

Don't forget underwear size!

Some people refer to power metal as cheese metal

Which is stupid - power metal has generic lyrics about killing dragons, but 90% of death metal has generic lyrics about killing and mutilating people and worshipping Satan, which is honestly just as cheesy.

I dig folk metal mainly because it doesn't take itself seriously and isn't afraid to experiment. A lot of metal (and its fans) is so full of itself that it's ridiculous (I'm looking at you black metal). It's become a parody of itself. I almost withdrew from metal completely because of the elitism of the fan base and the "my metal is truer/better/heavier/more technical than your metal etc.." shit.

I think you missed my point. I don't want to limit a band or myself to one category. I was just wondering where they came up with it all? One genre, Skate Metal, just sounds like old 80s punk with no bass. I was just wondering if it is the bands inventing this or is it the fans?

In the 80s everyone wanted to be the same. In the 90s no one cared and now it seems everyone wants to be different. So different to the point that individualism has become comformity. You must be different then everyone else to be accepted. I thought maybe this over categorization of metal was an extension of that.

Could you please post a link to the thread that goes into the evolution of metal. I would be interested to see what today's kids think of it. When I was a kid we thought it all came from Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath but that was the first hard rock we had heard.

And now to kick everyone's shins by making a point in favour of categorisation! Huzzah!

All these overly detailed genre descriptions make it incredibly easy to describe what a band sounds like. And to find more music you might like. For example if you're into Nile, and you want more like it, you go look for "technical death metal". You like Opeth and Dream Theater, you look for progressive metal. And if your favourite band is Swallow The Sun, death/doom is what you need.

That aside I must of course agree with the fact that kids arguing whether band x is "deathcore" or "emocore" or whatever is retarded. Genres are tools for describing sound, they're not a defining label.

Melodic Death metal- At the gates, old COB (i love their new as well though, it just aint melo death) norther, amon amarth (viking metal doesnt exist its a theme) carcass (heartwork period)

CoB isn't melodic death metal.
Call it melodic extreme metal, or extreme power metal, or whatever, but it isn't melodic death metal.

idk about neoclassical...
a lot of people confuse shredding with neoclassical. Now, I haven't listened to much bodom (just Follow The Reaper and a couple random songs), but I didn't really hear any Bach or Beethoven.