Which Microphone Preamp? Help me choose.

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
Audient ASP008: 8 Channels of Super-Clean pre

Crane Song Flamingo: Awesome Crane Song quality and fidelity

Seventh Circle Audio: 2x N72 (Neve 1073) 2x A12 (API): Classics

Please don't tell me to buy real Neves or Real APIs because from all the reviews I've heard the SCA Neve clones have a nicer top end than the real Neves and the APIs have a lower noise floor. Most people can't tell the difference.

I'm going to buy these tonight I think. I know which one I'm most interested in.

Thanks! :headbang:

Are you building the SCA stuff?

I would go that route as you would have 2 different flavors of preamps and you can add 4 more in the future as well.

The guy who builds my custom amps is building them for me for a ridiculously low price. He is the best.

I think the SCA stuff is a no brainer. I was just considering the Crane Song piece as well since I've heard so much great stuff about 'em!

SCA route, 2 api, 2 neve. The 2 neve just because a lot of voices dont fit well with API, so you have a choice.

Has anyone on here built the SCA? From what I gather on the website it doesn't look too bad if you have a small bit of soldering experience and buy the preamp modules assembled.

Has anyone on here built the SCA? From what I gather on the website it doesn't look too bad if you have a small bit of soldering experience and buy the preamp modules assembled.

I've been wanting to buy some. They say that if you have a little bit of electronics knowledge that it isn't too tough. I can solder but that's about it. I really think I want to attempt it though

My only problem is if I get some of those I am going to have to buy some Apogee converters since I only have two great channels of conversion and would want to use them. I'm not sure how flattering 003 converters would be.

I've been wanting to buy some. They say that if you have a little bit of electronics knowledge that it isn't too tough. I can solder but that's about it. I really think I want to attempt it though

My only problem is if I get some of those I am going to have to buy some Apogee converters since I only have two great channels of conversion and would want to use them. I'm not sure how flattering 003 converters would be.

I have a Duet. Love the converters. I upgraded from a MOTU 828mkii.

So how much is it costing you for 2 SCA APIs + paying your amp guy to build them for you? Just curious how much you're paying compared to how much I payed for my A2D

I have the ASP008 and i love it! The 3 different impedence setting is just awsome!

So how much is it costing you for 2 SCA APIs + paying your amp guy to build them for you? Just curious how much you're paying compared to how much I payed for my A2D

I'm not just getting two APIs. I'm getting two APIs and two Neves. Four preamps will cost me $2000.00 total after shipping to him, and back to me, and the construction charge.

I love my SCA A12.... Can't wait to build more!

Dude I wouldn't pay someone to assemble them, they are super easy to do, even someone with no electronics knowledge could build them with a little bit of effort.

Dude I wouldn't pay someone to assemble them, they are super easy to do, even someone with no electronics knowledge could build them with a little bit of effort.

fuck you just gave me ultra GAS for one of these lol

I'm not just getting two APIs. I'm getting two APIs and two Neves. Four preamps will cost me $2000.00 total after shipping to him, and back to me, and the construction charge.

So you got one dude to build clones for you?? Can you PM me his site or adress?? Does he build compressor clones as well??

I couldn't be happier with my Crane Song preamps :) Although i haven't A/B them against API's

I don't have the right soldering gun for sensitive work. I don't have a nice workstation to build it on, either. I have a guy who has built me two amps and has the best customer service in the business. I think it's worth paying him a few bucks to do it right the first time, assemble it, and ship it to me!

Good call on the SCA pres! Two of each flavor (Neve/API) should suit you really well.

I figured as much as well. The Fireface has good enough sounding clean preamps, just in case I need something with no character at all. I'm sure I'll have more of these preamps in the future (try sixteen of them, ahah), but right now I need to focus on some projects and not unload my wallet completely.

So you got one dude to build clones for you?? Can you PM me his site or adress?? Does he build compressor clones as well??

I couldn't be happier with my Crane Song preamps :) Although i haven't A/B them against API's

I want a Spider pretty badly. I don't have 6-8k to drop on one right now, though. I will likely have one in the future, when I start getting my name out there and can charge more for projects. I'm not recording real drums very often right now, so it doesn't matter that much.

You can buy the clones BUILT from www.seventhcircleaudio.com The person building these for me doesn't do it for everyone. He's doing it special for me... a friend who I've been working with for a long time. I do know someone who is building awesome compressor clones, and I will let you know his name as soon as he goes public.

Yeah, the crane song spider would be quite awesome to own... 8 pres that can be really clean or set to have color, 8 channels of top notch converters, mixer, really nice tape saturator function, etc. mmm.... definitely out of my pricerange right now though. :[ haha