I'm torn between a few amps, help me choose?

Can everyone stop recommending that amp please? I said about 10 times I can't afford it, are you just trying to rub it in? :lol:

I'm asking specifically about the 5150/6505 and 5150 II/6505+. Differences, opinions, which would suit my criteria better, etc etc.

If you're looking for JUST recording, 5150/6505... however, if you then want to take said amp out to play shows, I'd personally go with the 5150II/6505+ as it has a nicer clean channel... and you can also mod the lead channel to sound more like the 5150/6505... does that help you?

Also, I would completely negate the choice of a 5150II/6505+ if you have no use for the clean channel.

Sounds crazy, but I'm just gonna go to rack gear for cleans with an A/B/Y, so I'm really not bothered about a clean. It's just that the II/+ are just as equally abundant right now, so I'm probably in with more of a chance of landing a deal on a II/+ right now, unless I wait a bit longer... patience isn't my strong suit, but I'll try and hold out.

i traded my 6505+ for an original 5150, and never looked back. be patient

that's definitely the best advice you can get if you're looking to "get a deal".

There is some gear on my "to buy" list that i've been looking to pick up for the past 6 months or more. I just figure out the bare balls used price for the item, scour craigslist,ebay, and other used gear sites, and don't buy one until i get it at that price, or damn close to it.

Through that and some clever trading, i've managed to get a 5150 for $500, an orange rocker 30 for $425, and a mesa triple rec for $700. That doesn't count the cost of new tubes after getting the amps, but i do that whether or not the previous owner said he "just put them in". I don't really make it a habit to trust a seller's word.