If you had to choose between a 6505 and a dual rec..

TBDMbro604

Bury me in sin
Jul 16, 2012
Massachusetts
Which would you choose? 5150/6505 or the Dual Rectifier 2 channel. i'm coming into some money pretty soon, and i'm getting myself a new rig. i'll be mostly playing....The Black Dahlia Murder. Hence my username since it's my favorite band lol. I don't care about the cleans, i just need to know which one is better for sheer all-out brutality. i'll be playing it through a rectifier 412, with a ts9 or something like that.

Also, first post.

EDIT: and my guitar is an Ibanez RG550 with an EMG 81 for a bridge pickup.

The Peaveys are cheaper on the used market. I'd have to say 5150 because it suits my playing.

Didn't mark say their last record or two was recorded with 5150 or 5150iii? I'd prob go with a 5150 or 6505. They're cheap and that's what BDM uses (or has used). Can't go wrong with one of those, and you'll probably save about $3-400 over the rectifier.

Well there's nothing a Rectifier can't do so that would be my choice. Fender-esque cleans and juicy overdrive all the way up to brootal metal. Peaveys are also amazing but I don't think they are as versatile. Although you might feel like versatility isn't important at the moment, think about your situation in the next 5 years... you'll most likely try different genres and the Mesa will work for all of them. There only thing the Mesa can't do is sound british.

Didn't mark say their last record or two was recorded with 5150 or 5150iii? I'd prob go with a 5150 or 6505. They're cheap and that's what BDM uses (or has used). Can't go wrong with one of those, and you'll probably save about $3-400 over the rectifier.

i'm probably going with the 6505 but i don't want to completely rule out other options

and a side note..i think Nocturnal was their best. deflorate and ritual didnt seem as brutal to me. John's playing had more soul, sounded more "evil". Ryan is a great guitarist of course, i loved the solo in i will return, but it's just missing something

For me: peavey, cause I hate to have to tapdance live and at rehearsals, and you dont need a TS with the peavey (at least live, though one doesnt hurt)
+ mesas are overpriced over here.

so for you:
you dont care about cleans and which is more brutal? peavey.
more all around would be the recto.

I would go with the 5150/6505. Way easier to get a good sound with them, recording and live, generally speaking.

I used to own a 3 chan Dual Rec, I sold it and bought a 5150 and only regret it sometimes on novelty. The Dual Rec is one of my favorite amps, but it's not very versatile... it sounds too much like a Dual Rec and you can't dial it to sound like anything else. The Peavey on the other hand, I can dial to sound like a Marshall with a little bit of finesse, and with the same finesse, I can dial in a sweet blues breakup crunch. The Rec is an amp I would buy if you wanted one amp to have cleans alongside a lead tone easily switchable and without having to tweak knobs, like for live gigs. The Mesas OD tone is fantastic in a live setting, it really cuts through, though the 5150 is not far behind.

I have always struggled with Dual Rectifiers. 5150 is "home" for me.

But, I got a 5150 III now and it can do everything. So much better than the Peavey series.

Phil's on the money.

5150 will work a good majority of the time on modern metal playing, whereas the Recto commonly has a much lower success rate. They're both one-trick-ponies in their own way, but the 5150 makes more kids giggle.

I wouldnt get either of those 2. I just sold my 6505, still got my rectifier left though, but as Ermin said the Recto don't work that often. But it is a great bass head haha. I would get a EVh 5150 mkIII. But my favorite amp for now is the JSX, works for everything, leads, rythm and cleans.

The 2 channel Recto is a great amp, but only getting to choose one, I'd probably go with the 5150. The 2 channel doesn't have too great of a clean channel either, so you're not missing out on a lot there. The 5150's lead channel sounds great on practically anything, while the Recto might not be as versatile as a metal amp IMO. Both will probably do what you want just fine, and I don't think you'd have regrets with either, but I had a similar choice and I chose the 5150 over the Recto - Doesn't mean I still don't want a Recto though, but I certainly wouldn't give up my 5150 for it :p

Hated the 5150III when i tried it, didn't have that much balls compared to the 6505 and 5150.

I have a question for you all do you change the cheap condos on your 6505/5150 amps ?

I'm hesitating between a 6505 and a 5150 mk1, i know it's stupid but i keep wondering there must be THAT little something that makes them different.